• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Manchester City vs Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a thread on bluemoon about Kompany's plea for fans to bring the noise. I'm expecting this to sound like a home game for us - we've got some belting tunes at the moment and morale in the supporters couldn't be higher. Early goal and we can kill the crowd, as well as their team.

If we score first maybe otherwise I think that’s a daft assumption. The atmosphere up until ht in the cl second leg was very good from a city point of view

I dont think Guardiola will play an open attacking style against us. We murdered them on the counter last year by committing numbers forward and they were unable to cope. He clearly adjusted to a more controlled approach against us earlier in the season and I suspect he will do the same again.

On the downside i think they will be harder to beat as they will focus on neutralising our threat rather than going toe to toe. On the upside that means sacrificing their natural attacking game and they need to win not us, so it may be easier to frustrate them and take a point which would be a great result.

I dont think Guardiola will play an open attacking style against us. We murdered them on the counter last year by committing numbers forward and they were unable to cope. He clearly adjusted to a more controlled approach against us earlier in the season and I suspect he will do the same again.

On the downside i think they will be harder to beat as they will focus on neutralising our threat rather than going toe to toe. On the upside that means sacrificing their natural attacking game and they need to win not us, so it may be easier to frustrate them and take a point which would be a great result.

I expect them to dominate the game from the off but hopefully we can spring something and our defence hoods firm

It will be interesting to see if pep decides to go for it. The draw earlier in the season was based largely on the full backs not pusinging on and Pep keeping things tight. Also our front 3 were off; now we have found our mojo I feel more confident, we need to avoid defeat.

Yeah this should just be a standard 6pointer , feels alot more important . 3 points here should be massive for us , I don't think a loss is the end of the world either . Man city have proven themselves to be beatable over the past few weeks , If we don't manage it , others in the league will!

I assume they respect the left side of our defence with VVD and Robbo more than right side. I think we will see They try to take us on down that side. Maybe a game for Milner to offer additional protection on the right side if fit. Right wing instead of Shaq. Wijnaldum and Fabinho up against their midfield as well with Firmino as 10 and Mane out left. No wonder Pep decide to shave his head so we can't witness him turning grey of worry bout that line up.

Fuckety fuck and fuck. The supporters club in Norway are, yet again, arranging the big screen at a consert venue. . They done it before a few times and we allways end up loosing. The atmosphere is supposed to be ultimate and great but it is bullshit only. A lot of fans trying to hard to be supersupporters... I really wish they would stop these embarrasing gatherings once and for all.... so now it is official a smart move to load cash on City. Arseholes!!!

Trent vs Raheem is going to be a great battle - assuming they opt for Sterling on the left and Mahrez on the right. Otherwise I think it would be Sterling on the right and Sane on the left.

They'll try to batter us for the first 20 - 30 mins... It'll be our sternest test this season I'd say.

If we can get through that relatively unscathed similar to our CL tie against them at the emptyhad last season then we can deffo knick this one.

I'm thinking it might be a draw tbh.

I assume they respect the left side of our defence with VVD and Robbo more than right side. I think we will see They try to take us on down that side. Maybe a game for Milner to offer additional protection on the right side if fit. Right wing instead of Shaq. Wijnaldum and Fabinho up against their midfield as well with Firmino as 10 and Mane out left. No wonder Pep decide to shave his head so we can't witness him turning grey of worry bout that line up.

Guardiolas system is all about drawing opposing players out of position into space creating situations where they are out numbered and easily overlapped or bypassed by a slick one two or a runner in between the lines. The way to counter this is by pressing intelligently in packs rather than ones or twos.

The long diagnol ball from VVD or Allison to the wings gives us a weapon that few teams can replicate without having a CM drop very deep to act as a QB. A direct accurate threat that isolates the fullbacks and allows a rapid transition from defence to attack bypassing the lines in midfield, I suspect this is where the battle will be won or lost. City, like us, thrive on getting the fullbacks wide and high up the pitch to provide additional attacking options.

Guardiola wont want to sacrifice the fullback attacking contribution so I expect they will try and press VVD and Allison whenever they are in posession. If they are successful this will nullify one of our best outlets and force us to hit rushed passes or play through the middle where they can crowd us out. If we can remain composed, vary our attack so that we can use that press to create the sort of holes in the centre of the pitch to that they normally use to play neat triangles through the midfield. If we can do that I think Guardiola will abandon the high press and we will cut off their fullbacks charge which makes Sane and Sterling much easier to defend.

Guardiolas system is all about drawing opposing players out of position into space creating situations where they are out numbered and easily overlapped or bypassed by a slick one two or a runner in between the lines. The way to counter this is by pressing intelligently in packs rather than ones or twos.

The long diagnol ball from VVD or Allison to the wings gives us a weapon that few teams can replicate without having a CM drop very deep to act as a QB. A direct accurate threat that isolates the fullbacks and allows a rapid transition from defence to attack bypassing the lines in midfield, I suspect this is where the battle will be won or lost. City, like us, thrive on getting the fullbacks wide and high up the pitch to provide additional attacking options.

Guardiola wont want to sacrifice the fullback attacking contribution so I expect they will try and press VVD and Allison whenever they are in posession. If they are successful this will nullify one of our best outlets and force us to hit rushed passes or play through the middle where they can crowd us out. If we can remain composed, vary our attack so that we can use that press to create the sort of holes in the centre of the pitch to that they normally use to play neat triangles through the midfield. If we can do that I think Guardiola will abandon the high press and we will cut off their fullbacks charge which makes Sane and Sterling much easier to defend.

Fabinho has to be at his best for us to win.

Fernandinho is decent at avoiding bookings. I've backed him a few times to be booked in a multi bet selection and livid with the ones he was getting away with. Nothing will beat the day I had Shelvey to be booked against us. He kicked out a few people, kicked the ball away, elbowed Joe Allen and survived the game without a booking.

Pep: "Kevin [de Bruyne] trained today - he is much better - but we will check again tomorrow"

"There is a big opportunity for us to reduce the gap. People are asking what we will do if we lose, but we are going to try and win the game, be there and have a chance to fight for the league"

Missed that bit, Gini's a must for me, one of the best in the squad for getting the ball and turning in midfield. Fabs is a must because I think he's both superior in the holding role to Hendo, and he makes a Hendo a better play being there, sorry Milner.
In terms of protecting our right side (and specifically TAA vs Sane, Aguero and Silva - who will all roam there) Milner is far superior to Hendo since he has that extra experience of playing RB. Fabs and Gini can handle centre mid. I don't see the need for Hendo in this game.

Last edited:
If KDB starts then I'd expect Millie (if he starts) to put in some tasty tackles - he did it against PSG and a couple of other games this season. Get him worried about his injuries and frightened to show for the ball.

I see it as being a new type of game for Klopp, I like it when we score early and then force the others to have to change their game plan. But I think this one will be different. It's a 30 min team (them) v a 90 min team (us of course). We need to keep them at bay for the 1st half hour and them disect them minute by minute for the last hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom