• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

And for the record I was saying EXACTLY the same this time last year. And the defence is a year older and a year creakier.

There are players out there in all positions who could improve us but, if they aren't available for whatever reason (higher fees/wages than we're willing to pay, reluctance to move, whatevs), I don't blame the club for holding fire. When Southampton were being uber-cnuts over the Virgil deal there was a loud clamour on here to go for someone else instead. I'll go out on a limb and say that, if we'd done so, IMO we'd have halved the success we achieved under Jürgen Klopp. Near enough is NOT good enough when it comes to signing players for Liverpool.

Macca saved us on so many occasions last season, when he ran out of steam in the final stretch of the season we had no other answers. There were also huge question marks over the front 3, drew a blank when we needed them most. We also have the same defence which gives away the first goal because it's just not challenging enough without. All that is why we ended 3rd.

And the club claims we have nothing to strengthen.

Arsenal were 1 point off winning and they have bought plenty while selling no one significant. Are we really that skint?

There are players out there in all positions who could improve us but, if they aren't available for whatever reason (higher fees/wages than we're willing to pay, reluctance to move, whatevs), I don't blame the club for holding fire. When Southampton were being uber-cnuts over the Virgil deal there was a loud clamour on here to go for someone else instead. I'll go out on a limb and say that, if we'd done so, IMO we'd have halved the success we achieved under Jürgen Klopp. Near enough is NOT good enough when it comes to signing players for Liverpool.
I think thats a perfect example of KNOWING that player would improve us and going and paying the premium needed to improve. This is not where we are at now. I can only assume the money for the stadium redevelopment was significantly more than budgeted for (given the inflation on cogs) and thats really hampered us.

We made a decision a few years ago to go and get three players to shore up the back line (Virgil, Fabinho, Alisson) and it cost a premium but changed the course of our history.

Not doing anything to address very very clear and obvious failings is not good enough. Thats LITERALLY their reason to have a job.

Anyway. Window isnt shut yet. Lets see

Fair enough, and I agree there's a discussion to be had about how tight to draw the purse-strings. It's just that I hesitate to substitute my judgment for that of the people responsible for all this within LFC, and my mind goes back to the start of Edwards' first spell at the club when similar questions were being asked.

Let's do Ed Sheeran and his Tractor Boys and see where we go from there.

Macca saved us on so many occasions last season, when he ran out of steam in the final stretch of the season we had no other answers. There were also huge question marks over the front 3, drew a blank when we needed them most. We also have the same defence which gives away the first goal because it's just not challenging enough without. All that is why we ended 3rd.

And the club claims we have nothing to strengthen.

Arsenal were 1 point off winning and they have bought plenty while selling no one significant. Are we really that skint?

I don't think the club is saying we have nothing to strengthen - on the contrary Slot himself has made it clear that that's not the case. What the club *is* saying is that we start from an already good position so the need to improve, while it certainly exists, isn't desperate. I agree with them.

The soft cunts shouldn’t have said no to Endo going and bought someone.

Nunez being a riot participant fucked up any chance of him going. And Barca being cheaper than us meant Diaz stays.

I think we could easily upgrade in all of those. I’m one who liked the ninja but can see he’s not a long term solution.

Fair enough, and I agree there's a discussion to be had about how tight to draw the purse-strings. It's just that I hesitate to substitute my judgment for that of the people responsible for all this within LFC, and my mind goes back to the start of Edwards' first spell at the club when similar questions were being asked.

Let's do Ed Sheeran and his Tractor Boys and see where we go from there.
Aligned

And for the record I was saying EXACTLY the same this time last year. And the defence is a year older and a year creakier.

Sorry - I don’t think that’s fair - it’s only Virgil & Robbo that are old. Trent, Konate, Tsimikas & Gomez are in their prime and Bradley, Sepp & Quansah are on an upward curve.

I disagree too that the same players can’t provide a better result in defence than last year - it can be achieved by employing tactics that don’t expose the back line as much and having a consistent partner to Virgil.

Tsimikas gets a lot of stick, but I think he not that bad - he seems to need a run of 3-4 to get going, but ones he does he’s pretty solid.

I don’t disagree that we should have looked at a Matip replacement - the only reason not to would be to fast-track Quansah into first choice starting CB alongside Virgil - which might be a bit of short term pain (as he learns) for longer term gain.

Up to Slot if he thinks Quansah’s good enough and backs his coaching to improve him.

I don't think the club is saying we have nothing to strengthen - on the contrary Slot himself has made it clear that that's not the case. What the club *is* saying is that we start from an already good position so the need to improve, while it certainly exists, isn't desperate. I agree with them.
I disagree with them. The club has basically been on a standstill since Klopp left. For example, no contracts have been signed for the big 3, are they saying there is no urgency to?

The premise that this squad is good enough is just laughable to me. This squad finished 3rd, and crashed embarassingly out of the FA cup and Europa league. We know already the glaring problems in certain departments, we can let it run further but it is just going to catch up to us at some point.

So i guess our ambition this season is just to hold onto 3rd? Anyway it's almost already too late, we will see it play out soon enough.

Jules you could name 20 or 30 CBs who would improve us! And apparently we have NO chequebook.

If the inference is NO players out there can improve a weak backline then we are doomed.

I dont need Mbappe or Neymar mate, but we are not addressing our issues.

Yeah but the backline isn't weak anyway.

Van Dijk isn't being replaced yet, Quansah is good and so is Konate (both too good to be sustainable 4th choices, imo), and imo Gomez is fine as 4th choice, and likewise Sepp (the fact that he won't stay to be that kind of illustrates the difficulty of having a genuinely strong 4th choice CB).

A LB, yeah I agree, should've made a move there.

I'd also have replaced Nunez, but I wouldn't have signed a striker in addition - seems like Slot actually wants to give him another chance. So can't really blame the club there either.

I disagree with them. The club has basically been on a standstill since Klopp left. For example, no contracts have been signed for the big 3, are they saying there is no urgency to?

The premise that this squad is good enough is just laughable to me. This squad finished 3rd, and crashed embarassingly out of the FA cup and Europa league. We know already the glaring problems in certain departments, we can let it run further but it is just going to catch up to us at some point.

So i guess our ambition this season is just to hold onto 3rd? Anyway it's almost already too late, we will see it play out soon enough.

I’m not sure you can say “embarrassingly crash out” of Europa League when it was the teams that won both competitions put us out.

We should have beaten Utd though.

Last season we had too many people struggle to get their form back after injury in the latter stages of the season - that’s was the problem. (Along with some dodgy finishing).

Same ol same ol no one can improve us, not signing for signings sake.

A little teeny tiny bit more action on the transfer front in recent years and I’m convinced Klopp would’ve gotten us another big title or two.

Maybe everything will work out great this season. Everyone will stay fit, the attack will sort itself out, Nunez will come good etc. But if not, think fans will be very justified in being angry at the end.

Other teams playing by the rules and I’m convinced Klopp would’ve gotten us another big title or two.

Maybe everything will work out great this season. Everyone will stay fit, the attack will sort itself out, Nunez will come good etc. But if not, think fans will be very justified in being angry at the end.
Fixed

Two sides to that.

The squad being a year older has advantages and disadvantages all over the park.

We won the league cup and went deep into all 4 competitions. If Klopp had concentrated on two or three then most would agree it would have been a better year. Slot should take that warning and bin off one or both of the domestic cups early.

A new coaching and backroom team methods can have a sizable impact on injury prevention.

We were a very comfortable third place, which many would take again in the first year post Klopp.

Not everything is rosey, but I don't think it's all that depressing either.
He should 100% play nothing but kids in both domestic cups and go all out in the league and CL only.

Who are all these good players we're meant to be buying though?

Arse bought some keeper I've never heard of and some Italian centre half. Italian. I'd be going mad if we'd bought that cunt. Our defence is already better than the one we started with last season cos of Q and Bradley. Zero panic there.

City have bought some shit winger to help their fellow cheats out with ffp. He won't play. That's it. They lost Alvarez. That weakens them.

Frankly the rest of the sides can fuck off cos they're all shite. I see Manure spent a hundred million on defenders and started with Harry Maguire.

I just don't think the quality is there to buy this window. If we'd have been beaten in a bidding battle for Mbappe or something I'd get it. I don't see any of the players our rivals have bought would improve us.

It would be signings for the sake of it.

We're going into the second season of a midfield overhaul, that's usually when it clicks. I wouldn't want to fuck with that, especially with the new tactics.

Only thing I'm pissed off about is our lads running down their contracts, it's maddening, but it's a different topic.

I’m not sure you can say “embarrassingly crash out” of Europa League when it was the teams that won both competitions put us out.

We should have beaten Utd though.

Last season we had too many people struggle to get their form back after injury in the latter stages of the season - that’s was the problem. (Along with some dodgy finishing).
We lost 0-3 in Anfield, in Europe.

We should have beaten that lot and won the cup.

I still remember plenty celebrating when we got the draw. Together with the "Good draw, we will meet Alonso in the finals" narrative.

A little teeny tiny bit more action on the transfer front in recent years and I’m convinced Klopp would’ve gotten us another big title or two.

Pretty much exactly yeah.

Teams which win leagues strengthen.
We didnt win and didnt strengthen.

Im just not convinced on the ambition of the club in its entirety.

Slot needing to assess the squad is a cop out too. Isnt that why we have a structure to make sure the manager isnt making all the decisions.

Im not saying we CANT win the league, course we can, but we would need a lot to go right and an awful lot of our squad to play significantly better than they did last year.

Notably - Trent, Endo, Dom, Diaz, Mo, Darwin.

On their day all are fantastic footballers, many MANY games last season multiple players played below their potential. So there is hope.

As I said, theres time, theres (hopefully) funds, so just like 'on this day' last year i'll keep my hopes up and go fucking bonkers in November when we are miles off the top

Who are all these good players we're meant to be buying though?

Arse bought some keeper I've never heard of and some Italian centre half. Italian. I'd be going mad if we'd bought that cunt. Our defence is already better than the one we started with last season cos of Q and Bradley. Zero panic there.

City have bought some shit winger to help their fellow cheats out with ffp. He won't play. That's it. They lost Alvarez. That weakens them.

Frankly the rest of the sides can fuck off cos they're all shite. I see Manure spent a hundred million on defenders and started with Harry Maguire.

I just don't think the quality is there to buy this window. If we'd have been beaten in a bidding battle for Mbappe or something I'd get it. I don't see any of the players our rivals have bought would improve us.

It would be signings for the sake of it.

We're going into the second season of a midfield overhaul, that's usually when it clicks. I wouldn't want to fuck with that, especially with the new tactics.

Only thing I'm pissed off about is our lads running down their contracts, it's maddening, but it's a different topic.
All fair points. Cant wait for you to savage em and call them all cunts 4 games in tho

We lost 0-3 in Anfield, in Europe.

We should have beaten that lot and won the cup.

I still remember plenty celebrating when we got the draw. Together with the "Good draw, we will meet Alonso in the finals" narrative.
That started with a Nunez miss. Had he scored that we would’ve mullered them. We did our usual miss then went behind.

Had a feeling this would happen. Especially seeing him come on from the bench in the last friendly.
I just struggle to see Gomez getting a better chance of silverware as a starter anywhere else so it's weird. He's 27 so I guess this is the time to move if you're gonna. Maybe he's just looking to improve on his salary (£85k/week) as a backup elsewhere or as a starter for Villa?

I just struggle to see Gomez getting a better chance of silverware as a starter anywhere else so it's weird. He's 27 so I guess this is the time to move if you're gonna. Maybe he's just looking to improve on his salary (£85k/week) as a backup elsewhere or as a starter for Villa?
He already got silverware. His mate Van Dijk is leaving next summer, Matip already left.
The stars are aligning.

If a London club comes with a decent offer, he's gonzo.

It's a bit sad, but our entire league/CL winning team could be gone before the start of the next season (except some who were fringe players back then)

Back
Top Bottom