• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

I like Gordon but I don't think we need him. We don't even particularly need him even if we sold Diaz (Jota, Gakpo, and Nunez can all do a job on the left), but certainly not if we keep him. So I'm a bit baffled by the interest, tbh. I assume it's more of an opportunistic thing than anything else, with him potentially being available and desperate to join, plus the doubts about Diaz.

I think we need a striker and a RW equivalent to Gordon, whoever that would be. Bowen, maybe. Or I like Mbuemo, personally.

Not sure why we need a CB, either, given either Gomez or Sepp can be 4th choice.

DM, maybe - but we've already got fucking loads of fairly versatile midfielders. How often do we really need a traditional "6"?

I'd probably just stick everything on a RW and CF, sell Nunez and buy Gordon if Diaz goes.

Depends what you want from your wide attackers. There have been suggestions that Slot will want them to stay wider for more of the time than Klopp did, doing more of the crossing and other "provider" stuff that wingers used to do. I quite like Gakpo and still have hopes for him, but Gordon would do that wider, more constructive job much better than Gakpo would. There's room for both in the squad IMO.

Gakpo is very good at crossing the ball after cutting in on his right foot, that move is pretty much unstoppable. We will see a lot more of this if he is played on the left.

What a wonderful transfer window Richard Hughes is having. 2 weeks to the next season - zero sales, zero purchases, zero contract renewals.

Quite a start to his new job

We literally announced to the World that we wouldnt do any business until August though.

So he's worth twice what Newcastle paid for him a year and a half ago?

I understand your reasoning, but I still think it's too much. £80 mill should get us a world class player.

If rather throw that money on Georgian Lallana or Nico Williams both better than Gordon.

Like I said in another post Gordon wasn't even on anyone's radar until we got linked with him.

James Garner is a Scouser and a boyhood fan. Everton would let him go for £60 mill. Could be good to have a Milner type in the squad.

Nice Wiliams dosent want to leave Spain and wants twice the wages.
Kvaradonna looks like he’s staying at Napoli.

The Garner one is, well, not a great attempt at anything.

Gakpo is very good at crossing the ball after cutting in on his right foot, that move is pretty much unstoppable. We will see a lot more of this if he is played on the left.

Gakpo cutting in and going for goal is one thing, and defo a weapon we can use. The articles I've seen, though, seem to suggest that Slot may want to see his wingers get chalk on their boots and cross from the byline more often, which isn't going to suit a right-footer playing wide left.

As an aside, IMO there's a discussion to be had about the overall effectiveness of inswinging crosses or dead ball kicks as opposed to outswinging ones, but that's another story.

At this point, we have not heard of any credible links besides Gordon. So if he is the only one incoming then i'll take it.

Does anyone actually think we could improve on 3rd with the same squad as last season? Scum and Chelsea have both strengthen and who know which other teams might have a go at the CL spots.

At this point, we have not heard of any credible links besides Gordon. So if he is the only one incoming then i'll take it.

Does anyone actually think we could improve on 3rd with the same squad as last season? Scum and Chelsea have both strengthen and who know which other teams might have a go at the CL spots.
I think we could improve without signings. Arguably some of the things that let us down last year were more tactical flaws than personnel (bar Nunez). The hope that we have a midfield that plays to their strengths, full backs that stay wide and a defence that actively gets back in numbers makes me positive.

Gakpo cutting in and going for goal is one thing, and defo a weapon we can use. The articles I've seen, though, seem to suggest that Slot may want to see his wingers get chalk on their boots and cross from the byline more often, which isn't going to suit a right-footer playing wide left.

As an aside, IMO there's a discussion to be had about the overall effectiveness of inswinging crosses or dead ball kicks as opposed to outswinging ones, but that's another story.
If that's the case i don't think Gordon does that very well. Diaz and Gakpo are certainly not up to the job. We also have a left footer playing on the right that's going to add to the challenge.

I think we could improve without signings. Arguably some of the things that let us down last year were more tactical flaws than personnel (bar Nunez). The hope that we have a midfield that plays to their strengths, full backs that stay wide and a defence that actively gets back in numbers makes me positive.
That will almost certainly mean Slot is a better manager than Klopp and that is a pretty tall order.

That will almost certainly mean Slot is a better manager than Klopp and that is a pretty tall order.
Doesn't mean "better" i nthe slightest. They have different ways of playing and different expectations from their players. The midfield over the last decade has been near enough workhorse focused, even when we had creative players they were routinely on the fringes of the squad, or utilised wide. The defence we played a high line and that worked for the style we played; however slot seems more focused on pulling players back quickly than klopp who was always eager for the quick release when possession is regained.

These tactics aren't "better", they're just more suitable to the signings we currently have. The midfield selection from last year; whilst excellent, mostly seem to fit, or had to adapt a huge part of their game

Nice Wiliams dosent want to leave Spain and wants twice the wages.
Kvaradonna looks like he’s staying at Napoli.

The Garner one is, well, not a great attempt at anything.
So settle for Gordon then

Doesn't mean "better" i nthe slightest. They have different ways of playing and different expectations from their players. The midfield over the last decade has been near enough workhorse focused, even when we had creative players they were routinely on the fringes of the squad, or utilised wide. The defence we played a high line and that worked for the style we played; however slot seems more focused on pulling players back quickly than klopp who was always eager for the quick release when possession is regained.

These tactics aren't "better", they're just more suitable to the signings we currently have. The midfield selection from last year; whilst excellent, mostly seem to fit, or had to adapt a huge part of their game
If Slot does indeed manage to improve the team (with or without new signings) and get us a 2nd place or win us the league over Arsenal and City in his first season, he will be right up there with Klopp for me.

That is a big if though. We are leaving alot up to chance if we ultimately decide not to strengthen knowing full well some of the glaring issues from last season.

Don’t know the data on this, but my guess is that inswingers are slightly more dangerous. Easier for the GK to catch, but if they miss or don’t come out and the attacker is there, it’s almost a guaranteed goal.

Probably a miniscule difference either way - a much larger difference is between a well-executed cross or not, regardless of whether it’s an in or out-swinger.

If Slot does indeed manage to improve the team (with or without new signings) and get us a 2nd place or win us the league over Arsenal and City in his first season, he will be right up there with Klopp for me.

That is a big if though. We are leaving alot up to chance if we ultimately decide not to strengthen knowing full well some of the glaring issues from last season.
i still think we'll strengthen mind. I just think our current players didn't achieve their full potential last year due to tactics - and we still got 3rd

Don’t know the data on this, but my guess is that inswingers are slightly more dangerous. Easier for the GK to catch, but if they miss or don’t come out and the attacker is there, it’s almost a guaranteed goal.

Probably a miniscule difference either way - a much larger difference is between a well-executed cross or not, regardless of whether it’s an in or out-swinger.

My guess would go the other way because it's the whole defence, not just the keeper, that's liable to find inswingers easier to deal with. That said, the coaching world seems to have prioritised inswingers for quite a few years now, and you'd hope they had some basis for doing so.

i wouldn't put ox in that bracket. he contributed
so-so-iffy.gif

i wouldn't put ox in that bracket. he contributed
Ox talent wasn't the problem. The problem was he was broken before he even came to us. He was constantly injured and wasnt in demand and we paid 40m for him in his last year. He then had a good few months and had a serious injury and we for some ridiculous reason which i haven't figured out yet decided he deserved a new contract. So imo he was a failure.

If he’s top of Edwards/Hughes list then thats good enough for me.
You shouldn't just blindly follow what they do. Hughes has gotten plenty wrong for bournemouth and he will get plenty wrong for us. For 80m i think we should want someone who offers more than gordon. But that's just opinion.

Ox talent wasn't the problem. The problem was he was broken before he even came to us. He was constantly injured and wasnt in demand and we paid 40m for him in his last year. He then had a good few months and had a serious injury and we for some ridiculous reason which i haven't figured out yet decided he deserved a new contract. So imo he was a failure.
The person deciding to renew Ox’ contract must’ve been shaggin his mum on the top of his Harley

You shouldn't just blindly follow what they do. Hughes has gotten plenty wrong for bournemouth and he will get plenty wrong for us. For 80m i think we should want someone who offers more than gordon. But that's just opinion.

You’d think there is a plan to how we want to shape our attack and what wingers that will work in a Slot team. Gordon suits his style imho.

We dont know if its 80 mill yet either though.

Yeah i don't understand the decision to renew ox, other than team morale

Back
Top Bottom