• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

EURO 2024 Games

Don't be silly. Foden was the right call. It just didn't happen for him this tournament.
It was never right because he is one of those players that should never have got that award. By himself as an individual ly skilled unit he is average. He is what I call an opportunist player...built for the moment of clarity that will lead to a goal, something which is only possible through a team managed by a manager Gurdiola. Completely average in every other aspect of his game.

View: https://x.com/TheEuropeanLad/status/1812599282215571567

I don’t agree with him, but it’s worth understanding the “continental” perspective on some of the English players. Rice is an excellent player, but a big reason England couldn’t play modern possession football is because a player like Rice is automatically assumed to be almost a perfect #6 in England. If your #6 is Rice, you have no choice but to play Suffergate-ball.

In modern game, Jorginho - yes, the slow physically inferior Jorginho - is a #6 and Rice is a defensive #8. Because passng ability and press resistance are non-negotiable.

I don’t agree with him, but it’s worth understanding the “continental” perspective on some of the English players. Rice is an excellent player, but a big reason England couldn’t play modern possession football is because someone like Rice can be thought of as almost a perfect #6 in England. If your #6 is Rice, you have no choice but to play Southgate-ball.

You should read what he said about Hendo🤣

As expected, Spain appeared the well-coached, dynamic team with a clear plan and purpose. In contrast, England's manager has chosen a style that doesn't suit the players and lacks the courage to bench the captain when necessary. There are no discernible patterns of play; the strategy seems to rely on sitting back and hoping for individual brilliance. This approach might work for Real Madrid under Carlo Ancelotti, as their achievements and methods are undeniably effective. However, the same cannot be said for Gareth Southgate. The harsh truth is that when no player performs up to their club standard, the blame falls squarely on the coach. This is not to suggest that England should have won, but the narrative that Southgate is a competent, plucky coach will be everywhere now. The reality is a decent coach would have made all the difference.

Spain deserved the win. Best team of the tournament by some distance.

I don’t agree with him, but it’s worth understanding the “continental” perspective on some of the English players. Rice is an excellent player, but a big reason England couldn’t play modern possession football is because someone like Rice can be thought of as almost a perfect #6 in England. If your #6 is Rice, you have no choice but to play Suffergate-ball.

In a modern game, Jorginho - yes, the slow physically inferior Jorginho - is a #6 and Rice is a defensive #8. Because passng ability and press resistance are non-negotiable.

Starting to like this guy. Criticises everyone and doesn't give a shit what he says.

He's not wrong either, Rice is a good solid player and nothing more.

even though it was not the team we wanted to win it.

GSejXfgXQAAPr2y

We see Cucurella on the other side, buckling down, ignoring the jeers and working hard to make a major contribution in the finals to win the cup. He will likely be in the team of the tournament playing at left back.

Then we come back to Trent, who is definitely a more talented right back, at least he started that way. His head turned and he decided he was some sort of a midfielder, and he ended up neither, didn't start in the finals, didn't make a dent for the England team, it's just a waste of his talent. It's such a shame especially when Walker's been shit, and they played Saka in the right wing back position which Trent would have been perfect for.

It should have been Trent making a long searching pass to a forward to win England the title.

So will Kobbie Mainwho be welcomed back in the country as a national hero then after doing fuck all against the Swiss, Dutch and Spanish?

Silly overrated little cunt.
God you and Hansern have some sort of personal vendetta against him. He held his own, which is more than can he said about Gallagher. He provided more balance too.

Trent wasn't the issue, but you can't deny that Mainoo and Rice worked better.

Kyle Walker out of position, not marking is man for both goals. Not a whisper from the media. The fella cost England the game

And on top of that stellar defending he provided, he overhit about 3 glorious crossing chances too

I don’t agree with him, but it’s worth understanding the “continental” perspective on some of the English players. Rice is an excellent player, but a big reason England couldn’t play modern possession football is because a player like Rice is automatically assumed to be almost a perfect #6 in England. If your #6 is Rice, you have no choice but to play Suffergate-ball.

In modern game, Jorginho - yes, the slow physically inferior Jorginho - is a #6 and Rice is a defensive #8. Because passng ability and press resistance are non-negotiable.

He looks like the guy from King of Queens

I was supporting England but I was fully expecting them to lose. When the final whistle blew, I had huge belly laugh at the comments made by Rio, Lineker and Richards.
They called out Gareth's tactics only after the final whistle where as prior to that they were giving him flowers after every game despite it being the same shit show.
How do you play Kane in a low block? How do you take an overweight LB who has been injured and not played for 5m? How do you have a team on the ropes with attack and then revert back to a low block?
Southgate has been lucky. I personally want Potter take over. Klopp ain't gonna do it, he is on holiday and he won't betray Germany. Klopp will enjoy his time off, and if he needs money he will do punditry. He has lots of offers from, Sky, Bein, TNT, ITVand CBS not forgetting the German channels.

Mainoo looks like a very talented player, but the hype from the media and Utd fans is unbearable.
For all the talk of progressive passing he ranked 131 out of 132 midfielders for forwarded passes. Which just highlights the problems England struggled with during the tournament, and needing to change the set up at 0-1 down quite often given that they weren't creating anything.
Also looked well out of his depth in the final.

Its weird that Southgate couldn't use friendlies to set up his team the way he wanted to instead of experimenting in the early stages of the Euros.

In fairness, I watched the commentary with van de Vaart and he and all the commentators were just angry it was a shit game

Mainoo looks like a very talented player, but the hype from the media and Utd fans is unbearable.
For all the talk of progressive passing he ranked 131 out of 132 midfielders for forwarded passes. Which just highlights the problems England struggled with during the tournament, and needing to change the set up at 0-1 down quite often given that they weren't creating anything.
Also looked well out of his depth in the final.

Its weird that Southgate couldn't use friendlies to set up his team the way he wanted to instead of experimenting in the early stages of the Euros.
Agree with this. He's a decent mid, but at any other club (except arsenal) he wouldn't be fellated day and night like he is there. He'll develop, but hes no way the second coming like they're making out

If Gareth gets another 2yrs then Trent is better of retiring from international football, he won't get anywhere near RB even if playing for RM and his new mate Bellendham is there with him. Walker won't quiet, he will carry on being a fast but average RB till he is 38.

Agree with this. He's a decent mid, but at any other club (except arsenal) he wouldn't be fellated day and night like he is there. He'll develop, but hes no way the second coming like they're making out

Time will tell. If he was ours we'd be fawning over him. That's all I'm saying.

And to say we wouldn't is not true. See Raheem and Sterling.

Not weird. Ridiculous. Who the fuck goes into a major tournament still experimenting? Be flexible but don't start playing too a new system from the first game. Southgate demonstrated his true level.

Back
Top Bottom