• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Match Thread Chelsea (H) - Sunday October 20 4:30

Amazing resilience and persistence to get 3 points in the face of the ref absolutely not wanting us to get anything from that game.

Please to see Curtis play so well. He still kept hold of the ball too long about 4-5 times in very good situations though.

Biggest thing that annoyed me was the chance when Jota was in on goal and James had dived after losing the ball.

Worried if Jota is out for a while, i would bet he won’t feature at all against Arsenal so let’s hope Chiesa is back to bolster our options.

Great result against a tough opponent on paper.

Top of the league.

We did have more shots and more on target, but we looked vulnerable throughout and gave up far too much space in the middle.
We had fewer shots but many more on target (5-2) and I don't think we looked vulnerable at all, their goal was well worked but just a Konate leg stretch away from offside.

We defended extremely well (as we have most of the season - just 3 goals conceded), we no longer seem to panic and Chelsea just couldn't create any real chances and for most of the game endlessly played it around at the back (our pressing was much better 2nd half) as they couldn't find a way through - a telling comment I heard at the end of the match was that our midfield ended up dominating theirs.

On the contrary we managed to fuck up a few more situations where we should have done much better. Yet again. On recent showings a midfield pivot of Mac & Gravy with Jones in the 10 would be far better than letting Szobo start again.

It was a good performance, Chelsea had the ball, but really didn't create much besides from their goal, we clearly had a plan to hurt them, and it worked. The reason the game was close is 100% down to the ref / var, they had a truly dreadful game, if they have a good game, we get the third goal, and easily ride the game out.

Chelsea had their engagement line really high, as well as their defensive line really high, the idea was to stop us playing out of the back, and to stop us controlling the game, and to be fair to them, it largely worked. People think we were poor as a result but that's just stupidity, we expected that, and instead just went direct, where they were massively exposed. It didn't always work, but it worked enough, and we had a boat load of chances as a result.

Conversely, Chelsea had one really good chance, and a couple of half chances, big chances show when a team plays well, and Chelsea did not have many. They played super naive, they played out from the back forgetting they're playing one of the best pressing teams in the world, and low and behold we got half a dozen turn overs from that. Their entire defensive set up I mentioned above completely ignores the huge strength we have going direct, low and behold, we got loads of chances from that.

They are a great team, it was always going to be a difficult game, but Slot won the battle of the managers today, and without that absurd performance from the ref, that would have been a relatively comfortable win imo.

Mystic has been reading too many of Calibras posts, although he missed the youtube link....
I nailed the analysis lad, drop the 442 YouTube video they'll release saying the same exact same (plus highlighting how Curtis really grew into the game) in a few days time.

Mystic Lad, i agree with, enjoyed and appreciate your analysis. Low and behold, it was just a lighthearted reference to that particular use of language. Sorry for any offence and nice to be called lad at my age! 😄

Liverpool's Andy Robertson, speaking to MOTD: "It is always like that - two good teams going at it. We have had good games over the years against them. It is always difficult.

"It took us a little time to get going but once we did I think we were quite comfortable in the first half. In the second we defended really well and limited them.

"After the last international break we let ourselves down against Nottingham Forest and we were determined to put that right and I think we did that.

"There are different ways to win and today was one we had to grind out. We have played better this season but we got two crucial goals and defended well for the most part."

Liverpool boss Arne Slot, speaking to MOTD: "Many other games were hard but this might have been the hardest maybe because of the amount of quality players they have and the structure they have. We had to fight really hard to get this one over the line.

"We defended so strong through the whole team. There was incredible work rate. The game became difficult for us because there were a few decisions in my opinion that didn't go for us, the most crucial was when we thought we had the penalty before half time. To go 2-0 before half time would make a massive difference from 1-0. Then we conceded but we stepped up again and scored the second.

"The better the teams you face the more you need it [fight]. In the Premier League there are so many good teams so if you want to win at least you need to fight and then hopefully the individuals can make the difference.

"It helps if you play against a Chelsea, it is a big game and everyone feels it. We felt it and the fans felt it because they were there for us today.

"We showed up, that was the most important thing."

Micah Richards :

Liverpool are challengers now.

In the way they can see out a game and can adapt to a game.

I believe they have a chance to go all the way this year.

Micah Richards :

Liverpool are challengers now.

In the way they can see out a game and can adapt to a game.

I believe they have a chance to go all the way this year.
All these guys just ride with the waves, wait until next week if we lose and see what he says then.

None of them can have an opinion and stick to it for longer than 2 minutes.

It's wild that saying Liverpool can compete for a title this year, after leading for most of it last year, and losing no players, is meant to be any insight whatsoever. It''s like pundits memories are all wiped on July 30th. I know Klopps gone, but still.

It's wild that saying Liverpool can compete for a title this year, after leading for most of it last year, and losing no players, is meant to be any insight whatsoever. It''s like pundits memories are all wiped on July 30th. I know Klopps gone, but still.
Yeah but come on ... most of this forum said Top 4 would be a great result this season.

Back
Top Bottom