• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Napoli (a) CL - Wed 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1975

-----------------------Allison---------------------
Gomez----Matip----VVD----Robertson
---------------------Fabinho----------------------
-------Elliott--------------------Milner---------
--Salah---------Firmino----------Diaz------

Arthur makes sense because he knows the league, but it depends how match fit he is. I see Klopp going with Bobby due to form, he'll connect play better and its his sort of game.

Bobby will start just because he didn’t at the weekend. Trent will start because his minutes are being managed until Ramsay is in the squad. I can see Matip coming back in too.

The bench will be Thiago on there alongside Nunez, Jota, Gomez, Tsimikas, King Arthur, Ketwig plus the kids.

Napoli away - if Melo is fit it may be a perfect first game. Gives him the chance to give the finger to the Turin guys if he really is capable of playing in a Klopp team style.

I realise the reality is he needs several weeks of training to click into our style but doesn’t stop the hope

Nowhere else to put this so here will do :

304926879_104714395712406_4729211694652590089_n.jpg

I can see Melo starting because as I said elsewhere - what better debut than a game against an Italian team & players he knows (better than Everton) !
Klopp did say he'd been training before arriving and not, as the rumour mill said, unfit.

TAA will start as per Klopp's statement re. managing mins. Ditto Robbo. No way I'd let Milner near a starting slot. Carvalho, Gomez, Nunez, Tsimikas, Jota and Thiago etc. on the bench. Jota to definitely make an appearance on around 60 mins.

-----------------------Allison---------------------
TAA ---------- Matip ---- VvD ---- Robertson​
-------------------- Fabinho ---------------------​
------ Elliott ------------------ Melo --------​
-- Salah-------- Firmino -------- Diaz -----​

Last edited:
I think we’ll see Matip, Jota and Arthur start this one with VVD, Diaz and Carvalho on the bench. Milner for Elliott and Bobby for Nunez.
I imagine a draw and some rested stars would be fine for this one.

Has anyone seen Napoli recently? Are they still a nightmare to play against? They seemed to have our number even when we're at our best, so I'll be happy to get out of there with a point given the current form.

Agree with Froggys team above.

Don't know a lot about this Napoli team but they've started well (3-3-0) are possession based (ave. 60%) with around 19.6 shots per match so far this season.

The attack is likely to be very pacey (Lozano stretchered off with a facial injury - potential fracture - yesterday) with Osiham (CF), Politano (RW) and Kvaratskhelia, the new Maradona (The Athletic), (LW).

Some Cut+Paste comments from various sources :

When Napoli do get pressed intensely, they have an excellent point of reference in Victor Osimhen who is wonderful technically and is physically strong enough to be able to hold the ball up from defenders and can lay off passes for oncoming teammates. As a result, Napoli are a team that are extremely difficult to press, as they have the options of passing through the press with strong technical players in the build up, whilst also possessing a physical player further up the pitch who can allow the entire team to push up the pitch with him.

A big part of Napoli’s ability to dominate games is through their ability to force opponents to make errors through relentless pressing, especially in the first half of games.

When teams do attack Napoli, they must be sure to leave enough athletic defenders back to deal with Napoli’s counterattacks. Osimhen and Lozano are both very powerful runners which makes them incredibly tough to tackle when there is lots of space behind. Especially with Osimhen’s ability to hold the ball up, like in the image below, it is nearly impossible to contain him and you must prevent the ball from getting to him in the first place. The creative likes of Khvicha and Zielinski are very skilled at finding the runs of the forward players, something which will become a more common occurrence against teams that are more attack-minded.

Like when they press, Napoli also counterpress just as intensely, which plays a key part in their ability to sustain pressure on opponents and allows them to have a better defensive record. The Napoli players all mark the nearest open player while the player closest to the ball forces play one way, to reduce the number of potential outlets a defender might have. This intense pressure is a key part of why Napoli sustain attacks and maintain a high possession number over their opponents.

This was last season - and if they are continuing in this vein then it could suit us :

21-2021-team-style-the-analyst-2048x1152.jpg

We can expect Napoli to dominate most games in the league, and cause chaos for any defence. Their defensive structure hasn’t been tested too much, so some problems may arise, but with this pressing approach, this situation won’t happen too often.

Has anyone seen Napoli recently? Are they still a nightmare to play against? They seemed to have our number even when we're at our best, so I'll be happy to get out of there with a point given the current form.

A little research on their 22-23 team above.

I know they’ve lost Ruiz, Koulibaly and that fast little Belgian forward who’s name escapes me. So hopefully it’s not as tough a task.

I know they’ve lost Ruiz, Koulibaly and that fast little Belgian forward who’s name escapes me. So hopefully it’s not as tough a task.

Napoli have let go of some key players, though they have done some excellent business to replace those players with younger players with a higher ceiling than those before. Exciting signings such as Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, Min-jae Kim, Mathias Olivera, Giacomo Raspadori, Leo Ostigard, Giovanni Simeone, Tanguy Ndombele and Salvatore Sirigu have all come in to rejuvenate the squad, and improve their depth upon their return to UEFA Champions League football.

Napoli have let go of some key players, though they have done some excellent business to replace those players with younger players with a higher ceiling than those before. Exciting signings such as Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, Min-jae Kim, Mathias Olivera, Giacomo Raspadori, Leo Ostigard, Giovanni Simeone, Tanguy Ndombele and Salvatore Sirigu have all come in to rejuvenate the squad, and improve their depth upon their return to UEFA Champions League football.

:sick: where’s the good news

:sick: where’s the good news

Total Football Analysis

Napoli should be considered title challengers for the season ahead although their squad may be a little inexperienced. While their squad may not be as strong as teams like Inter Milan, Juventus, or current holders AC Milan, they will definitely be up there come the end of the season and could hope to go on a little run to the knockout stages in the Champions League.

Fries Mertens?

Also lost Insigne.

Lost of lot of experience basically.

Hope we twat them but I'm looking forward to seeing Khvicha Kvaratskhelia play, apparently he's pretty tasty.

Trent will start as our right back. Gomez might start as we need to counter Osihmens pace.

We're going to steamroll them with our creative artistic visionary midfield of Fab Milner & Elliott

This would be a good game to start Arthur.

Knows the opponent well and all that.

Also, we've really got nobody else. That's how dire things are. Milner only on for tired legs when we have a healthy lead. Otherwise, no go.

I actually think we'll rest Diaz for this one too, and perhaps even give Robbo another rest then get him back for Wolves.

------------Alisson------------
Trent--Matip--VVD--Tsimi
--------------Fabs------------
-------Elliot------Arthur-----
Salah-----Bobby------Jota

It is a good opportunity for Nunez to further build his confidence but I think he'll start as a sub as its important for Jota to get up to speed and Bobby is in good form.

I actually think we'll rest Diaz for this one too, and perhaps even give Robbo another rest then get him back for Wolves.

------------Alisson------------
Trent--Matip--VVD--Tsimi
--------------Fabs------------
-------Elliot------Arthur-----
Salah-----Bobby------Jota

It is a good opportunity for Nunez to further build his confidence but I think he'll start as a sub as its important for Jota to get up to speed and Bobby is in good form.

I like this ... though if honest, I'd rather player Gomez - Matip - VVd - Tsimi

We need Milner's energy and adventure, as well as his creative spark....we missed that 1st half on Saturday.
You mean we needed his 60% passing accuracy (was it the lowest) and multiple mis-timed death wish tackles that luckily missed or he'd be off with a Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom