• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Young players watch

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Let’s talk about players 21 and under here… what are your predictions on what will happen with each of them in the new season? Below is a list of most prominent youngesters sorted by age:

Nyoni - undoubtedly a future star, needs to keep playing in U18/U21’s and being developed by our coaching staff (I heard really good things about Aaron Briggs whose job will be helping young players bridge the gap into senior-level football). Really important to start finding an optimal position for him and thinking how he might fit into Slot’s system long-term.

Doak - missed lots of time with injury, definitely needs to go out on loan to get consistent playing time.
Koumas - another year in U21’s probably
Danns - small injuries at innoportune key moments are starting to concern me. I wonder what the future holds.

Clark - definitely needs a loan or even selling with a buy-back clause. Seems mature enough to play every week for another team somewhere.
Bajcetic - would love to develop him cautiously within the main team, but if we buy a first-team DM, there is also a case also for sending him on loan at least for a few months to get more playing time.
Kaide Gordon - same as Doak, needs playing time, so probably a loan.
McConnel - probably staying in the U21 squad for now, a good and depenable player to have.

Chambers - as a LB/LCB he is one of the few youngsters who potentially has an opening into the first team; this tour will be his chance to impress Slot.

Elliott - first team, obviously.
Carvalho - same age and roughly same position as Elliott; you have a feeling there is only room for one, so Carvalho will be sold.
Bradley - first team, back-up for Trent.
Quansah - already a key player for us; I wonder if we’ll see him at LCB in place of Virgil at times.
Beck - time for loans is probably over, this pre-season will decide his future with us.
Morton - same situation as Beck and a lot will depend on other comings and goings in midfield. I am rooting for him to prove he belongs and earn his place in the first team squad, even though hardly anyone expects him to.
Pitaluga - his loan was fairly disastrous, seems very raw and not sure what the next step will be. Maybe he is just one of those Brazilians who will never settle here.

So to summarize: Nyoni, Koumas, Danns, McConnel and Pitaluga - probably remain in U21’s.

Doak, Gordon - probably loaned out.

Morton, Beck, Chambers - sliding doors moment this pre-season.

Elliott, Bradley, Bajtetic, Quansah - first team.

Clark, Carvalho - probably sold.

I don’t think we’re selling Clark unless a huge offer comes in - he’s worth preserving with - a loan maybe.

Carvalho, Beck, Morton & Pitaluga aren’t classified as U21’s - so they either need to be registered in the 25 or loaned/sold - Carvalho & Beck are both 22 next month.

I think each could go on loan - they’re a year younger than VdB, so it’s not outwith the releams of impossibility that they get loaned for another year.

Also mentioning that Gravenberch is only a few months younger than Carvalho & Beck.

Elliot, like Quansah & Bradley are classified as U21 for this season - Quansah’s only 5 weeks younger that Pitaluga - just the right side of Christmas.

Nyoni has impressed greatly already. Apparantly was the best player in PL2 for some of the stats he had, and that is amazing for a 17 year old.

Several clubs have enquired about Gordon. A loan move is the only right move for him.

Largely agree, but I think Carvalho will be given another go if squad numbers allow. He never looked a player for Klopp and looked one for the future of a new regime. Deserves another go.

I don’t think we’re selling Clark unless a huge offer comes in - he’s worth preserving with - a loan maybe.

Carvalho, Beck, Morton & Pitaluga aren’t classified as U21’s - so they either need to be registered in the 25 or loaned/sold - Carvalho & Beck are both 22 next month.

I think each could go on loan - they’re a year younger than VdB, so it’s not outwith the releams of impossibility that they get loaned for another year.

Also mentioning that Gravenberch is only a few months younger than Carvalho & Beck.

Elliot, like Quansah & Bradley are classified as U21 for this season - Quansah’s only 5 weeks younger that Pitaluga - just the right side of Christmas.
I think loads of people don’t realise how young gravy is and only see the price tag. He has also missed a lot of game time over the last few years.

Not good enough for Leipzig, meh at Hull but a prospect for LFC. Makes sense.
Fab C won’t make it here. Definitely surplus to requirements and we will sell this summer for a few quid. Not much though.

He was very good for Hull though, 20 games and 9 goals. But its probably not enough to make it anyway. Sell for a decent fee.

Nyoni - loan (until Jan)
Danns - loan (until Jan)
Clark - loan
Mcconnell - loan (until Jan)
Doak - loan (until Jan)
Nallo - loan
Koumas- loan
Gordon- loan
Chambers - loan (until Jan)
Pitaluga - loan

Basically just loans for all. League 1/championship level, some for 6 months with a view to a new loan at a better club.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Chambers - Leverkusen were obviously keen on bringing him on loan last year at some point, and you'd think there is an obvious pathway for him there as you say.

Plenty of promise in our crop of youngsters but I'm most keen on Bajtetic getting games again. Press resistant, tackles well, passes well, gets forward. I think he's got a reasonably rare skillset and could be a brilliant holding midfielder.

Not a fair assessment

Leipzig took him on loan with promises from the DoF of playing time, he got kicked and the new guy brought in Xavi Simmons from PSG who took off.

His time at Hull was a success and he does have a decent shout for the AM role alongside Elliott if Slot goes that way

I think loads of people don’t realise how young gravy is and only see the price tag. He has also missed a lot of game time over the last few years.

I agree, that’s why I mentioned it.

We paid a reasonable amount for a 21yo midfielder with CL & Int’l experience.

His wages are only high because he’d already been picked up by Bayern and paid a high wage.

However… he does need to start showing more this coming season.

He also strolls around the pitch like he's doing a zone 1 training session.

If he learns to apply himself, and work his ass off then he could make it. The raw talent is there. To drop the horrendous cliche I used last season - hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard.

I'd love Gravy to become a superb midfielder for us.

He also strolls around the pitch like he's doing a zone 1 training session.

If he learns to apply himself, and work his ass off then he could make it. The raw talent is there. To drop the horrendous cliche I used last season - hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard.

I'd love Gravy to become a superb midfielder for us.
It hasn’t done Salah any harm.

Grenade thrown. Runs away.

Jokes aside, I think we will see a massive improvement with him. Getting a better preseason and a run of games will help with his fitness. All depends on how Slot ball is played and him having a defined role.

Not a fair assessment

Leipzig took him on loan with promises from the DoF of playing time, he got kicked and the new guy brought in Xavi Simmons from PSG who took off.

His time at Hull was a success and he does have a decent shout for the AM role alongside Elliott if Slot goes that way
Yes he was a "success" in the Championship but I'm looking at it from the perspective of him being a top PL prospect.

I expect more from a player who's supposed to play for LFC.

Bowen, Watkins, Eze, Benrahma are just a few examples of players having exceptional seasons in the Championship and they're all playing for at best mid table teams ( excl Villa last season).

He's a decent player and I'm not gonna write him off just yet, but I just don't see where he's supposed to play considering the players we already have.
He's basically a sub for our subs atm.

It was Gravy's first season and we've got a Dutch manager now. It might help.

Also, if we're willing to give Nunez a third season, we should be fine with Gravy sticking around.

Gravy does appear to have a great touch and control of the ball. This might be pretty useful for 'slot ball', but he's up against it with Macca, Jones, Elliot, Szobo in midfield too. Nice problem to have though.

Macca - knackered
Jones - slow and needs 20% of the time off
Elliott - The Boy!
Slobby - he’s probably in the same boat as gravy. Since October he’s been crap.

Grav has everything to be top-class.

It's down to drive, concentration and motivation for him. I'm optimistic for him. I just hope he isn't one of those who thinks he's made it at 22 with a fat contract. It's an important year for him to kick on. If he goes back to how he was when he first joined then we've got some player on our hands.

Would be very surprised if we sold Clark. He's got talent.

Gordon desperately needs a full season injury free. Even if it's just in the reserves.

Not convinced by Carvalho, but he will get time in pre season to show he belongs. I suspect he will be loaned out again.

I wonder if Hull would consider loaning McConnell in Morton's place, as it seemed to do Morton a world of good.

Yeah I really rate Clark based on what we saw of him. One who would benefit from a loan, but equally he would do well to learn Slot's philosophy first hand.

I rate Clark too, but we have too many midfielders as it is and he seems to be more of an all-arounder, not having any outstanding singular quality like tackling, playmaking or goalscoring. For his own sake it’s probably best if he gets consistent playing time somewhere and if he develops beyond expectation, maybe a buy-back clause could be negotiated. He will not get into a team in front of Alexis, Szobo, Jones, Endo, Gravvy, Elliott, Bajcetic and possibly a new DM we will buy.

Same probably applies to Morton, but I’m slightly more optimistic about his chances because he seems more suited to the holding midfielder/playmaker type, which is an actual need we have in the squad currently.

I rate Clark too, but we have too many midfielders as it is and he seems to be more of an all-arounder, not having any outstanding singular quality like tackling, playmaking or goalscoring. For his own sake it’s probably best if he gets consistent playing time somewhere and if he develops beyond expectation, maybe a buy-back clause could be negotiated. He will not get into a team in front of Alexis, Szobo, Jones, Endo, Gravvy, Elliott, Bajcetic and possibly a new DM we will buy.

Same probably applies to Morton, but I’m slightly more optimistic about his chances because he seems more suited to the holding midfielder/playmaker type, which is an actual need we have in the squad currently.
As all leading Xpert 11 managers know, all rounders are the easiest to give game time to.

Keeping in mind that we will participate in the U19 CL with additional matches just like the 1st team.

Nyoni - season with U21s & first team training

Doak - loan to Championship
Koumas - season with U21s & first team training
Danns - season with U21s & first team training

Clark - loan to League 1 or Championship
Bajcetic - 1st team
Kaide Gordon - Loan to League 1
McConnel - season with U21 & first team training

Chambers - read somewhere yesterday he is going back to Wigan on loan in League 1. Apparently did quite well there last year after Jan.

Elliott - 1st team
Carvalho - Sold with buy back clause or loan to a team like Fulham?
Bradley - 1st team
Quansah - 1st team
Beck - Loan to Championship or 1st team if we sell the Greek. Had a very successful loan in Scotland last year making the SPL team of the year.
Morton - Same as Carvalho i.e. sold with buy back clause or loan to an EPL who play possession football where he is their main #6.
Pitaluga - Loan to lower leagues

Can’t agree with you on this one at all.

Nurture Clark like Harvey, which means he’s due a loan - he doesn’t to be playing first team regularly for us just yet, but we don’t need to sell.

If anything, his value hasn’t matured enough where someone would splurge £25m+ just yet

Endo will be done in a season or so, CJ & Badger have to prove they stay fit, Gravy & Slobbers have a bit to prove, and Mac A will likely fuck off to Real Madrid in a couple is seasons.

Remember - Clark has 3 seasons left as an U21 - Badger only has 2.

Maybe Leeds would be a good club to loan him to for a season.

Danns appaz in Plymouth to finalize a season long loan. Good move for him if gets enough playing time.
Surprised he is going to the Championship. Would have though League 1 would be better suited for him to get adequate playing time. If i recall correctly, Rooney is the current manager of Plymouth which is interesting from a strikers perspective on its own.

Yep, jury is firmly out on Rooney as a coach, but I'd trust him to develop attackers in a positive way at least. It will he fun watching him tear up the Championship. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom