• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Egyptian King

I reckon Arsenal are close to the edge on the old-style PSR, but fine on the new UEFA measure, for now. When the target percentage drops to 70% they will have some work to do, so both measures could constrain them.
We're fine on either measure, including, probably, the final 70% UEFA target.
That said, it's hard to accurately estimate all this stuff from public information and even then you can only do it for financial years, but the UEFA test is for a calendar year.
I believe Swiss Ramble has blogged on this but it's paywalled.

Logically should be on a season / financial year basis? Is it because some leagues don't follow the August - May cycle?

Logically should be on a season / financial year basis? Is it because some leagues don't follow the August - May cycle?
I agree. I think they've just done this to stop clubs messing about with their financial year ends to try to manipulate the rules, but I think they should have said 1 July to 30 June the following year. The clubs with more of a calendar year season are relatively few and far between (think some of the Baltic states do this).

I wouldn't call it a shite reason, because last season we lost him for about 3 months thanks to the AFCON.
It definitely hurt our season too, because he wasn't really the same when he came back.

I still don't think that's a valid enough reason. If he's winning us game for the previous 4 months, ideally we should have the depth once every 2 years to let him go abroad for a month.

The issue isn't AFCON, it's that they've been unwilling to invest in a decent backup. Hopefully they have this time

I still don't think that's a valid enough reason. If he's winning us game for the previous 4 months, ideally we should have the depth once every 2 years to let him go abroad for a month.

The issue isn't AFCON, it's that they've been unwilling to invest in a decent backup. Hopefully they have this time
I see what you're saying, but even with a back up, are we expecting the back up to play every game when Salah is away?
Thats another problem.

I see what you're saying, but even with a back up. Are expecting the back up to play every game when Salah is away?
Thats another problem.

Ideally the backup should be Liverpool standard, so hopefully the drop off shouldnt be too much. If the backup can't play 3-4 games in a month then there's bigger concerns
Don't get me wrong AFCON is a massive headache for us, but I don't begrudge anyone going

Similar argument could be made about not renewing Macca, Nunez, Diaz etc, all because they travel half round the world and more often than not aren't match ready the next game. With Salah it's 1 month missing, whereas with the SA boys it's just as much, just spread over a season, rather than condensed. And that's every season, not just every 2 years

Ideally the backup should be Liverpool standard, so hopefully the drop off shouldnt be too much. If the backup can't play 3-4 games in a month then there's bigger concerns
Don't get me wrong AFCON is a massive headache for us, but I don't begrudge anyone going
I do. I think AFCON are deliberately being cunts. Just schedule it at the same time as the Euros and / or the Nations cup finals.

I do. I think AFCON are deliberately being cunts. Just schedule it at the same time as the Euros and / or the Nations cup finals.
Bit warm in Africa in the summer init? Morocco at least this time might be more respectable

The every 2 years I don't overly understand like

Bit warm in Africa in the summer init? Morocco at least this time might be more respectable

The every 2 years I don't overly understand like

I'm guessing AFCON is the only time that sponsors and advertisers give a damn about footie being played in Africa.

I'm guessing AFCON is the only time that sponsors and advertisers give a damn about footie being played in Africa.
Nah, I doubt related to Sponsors. Africa is a massive market in its own continent with economies growing in it’s own relatively.
Afcon doesn’t need Europeans fans to watch even if it clashes with Euros and Copa. It can easily exist with local and global sponsers in the summer.

So, what kind of numbers are we okay with in terms of a new contract? 2 year deal with the same wages?

Have you seen the AFCON dates next year?

It’s mid Dec to Mid Jan - potentially 7 league games as opposed to missing the usual 3 league games & 2 FA Cup games.

Is it a reason not to be offering a contract? - fuck no.

Is it a thing that should be addressed? - fuck yes.

That’s a leverage question - what does he really want - does he want us to help manage his minutes so he can play effectively at AFCON - then your wage goes down and you potentially play less.

If you want tge same or even more money - you need to give up that other stuff so that we, your primary wage payer, gets full value.

It absolutely has to be part of the negotiations - if it wasn’t then someone’s really not doing their job.

Have you seen the AFCON dates next year?

It’s mid Dec to Mid Jan - potentially 7 league games as opposed to missing the usual 3 league games & 2 FA Cup games.

Is it a reason not to be offering a contract? - fuck no.

Is it a thing that should be addressed? - fuck yes.

That’s a leverage question - what does he really want - does he want us to help manage his minutes so he can play effectively at AFCON - then your wage goes down and you potentially play less.

If you want tge same or even more money - you need to give up that other stuff so that we, your primary wage payer, gets full value.

It absolutely has to be part of the negotiations - if it wasn’t then someone’s really not doing their job.
Yea, let the Egyptian FA pay his wages for the four weeks he is away

So, what kind of numbers are we okay with in terms of a new contract? 2 year deal with the same wages?

I feel like that’s the general offer, but the structure of his contract changes a little bit from guaranteed income to performance based.

His agent will want guaranteed, (because older, more chance of injury), we’ll want performance for the same reason.

I mean you increase the potential earning ceiling but reduce the baseline… don’t you?

That’s the play with older players, isn’t it?

Romano stated: “That interview saying his intention was still very clear, so saying ‘probably could be my last year at Liverpool’.

“The contract is expiring, but I told you that remember, it doesn’t mean that Mo Salah is 100 percent leaving Liverpool.

“[He’s] waiting to have a conversation with the club and this remains the point.

“I can confirm once again that Liverpool and Mo Salah will talk in the next days, weeks, months, So I can’t predict now how long will be the conversation, but there will be conversations to discuss the contract situation of Mo Salah.

“So it’s not over yet at this point between Salah and Liverpool. It’s a possibility for Mo to go as a free agent in the summer, but it’s not guaranteed at all because Liverpool want to talk to Salah and Salah wants to talk to Liverpool.

“Salah is very keen on discussing with Liverpool about the new project, is very happy with Arne Slot, the new directors and the new management. So the discussion will take place.

“Let’s see financially and in terms of the project, in terms of the length of the contract… there are many things to discuss.

“We will see how these conversations go, but for sure there will be a conversation.”

If he wasn't delivering and was injury prone i'd understand the reluctance to offer salah a new deal. But thankfully he's been very lucky with injuries and still our most important attacker at the club. Anyone we bring in will be a downgrade and a step backwards. We are meant to be going forwards. Chiesa is a sicknote. Guy is 6 years younger than salah and has continuous injuries in a piss easy Serie A league. I'm not expecting him to stay fit for long. Fact is we need salah a lot more than he needs us.

If he wasn't delivering and was injury prone i'd understand the reluctance to offer salah a new deal. But thankfully he's been very lucky with injuries and still our most important attacker at the club. Anyone we bring in will be a downgrade and a step backwards. We are meant to be going forwards. Chiesa is a sicknote. Guy is 6 years younger than salah and has continuous injuries in a piss easy Serie A league. I'm not expecting him to stay fit for long. Fact is we need salah a lot more than he needs us.
He doesn't have continuous injuries. In the past 2 seasons he's played more league games than all but 5 of our current team. He has been out for more than 2 weeks only twice in the past 6 years and one of those was the ACL injury he had.

He doesn't have continuous injuries. In the past 2 seasons he's played more league games than all but 5 of our current team. He has been out for more than 2 weeks only twice in the past 6 years and one of those was the ACL injury he had.
Is that not what he's saying? He'd understand the reluctance if Salah was injury prone but he's not?

Am I drunk?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/federico-chiesa/verletzungen/spieler/341092

This looks like continuous injuries unless i'm missing something here. It would be even more games in our league as we play more games. Then there is the point he's never been the same player since his injury. Lost a pit of pace. Some italian journalists are saying he's only 40% of the player that he used to be. I can't testify to this as i've seen very little of him to comment. But his injury record concerns me. You wonder how his body will handle our league which is a lot more physical.

Back
Top Bottom