• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Moaning even though we're top of the league

It may be blind optimism talking but Haaland will not maintain this trajectory of goal scoring and quality throughout his career. With his build and pace I'm convinced his body will break down more and more. Better yet he scurries off to Madrid when City are relegated.
I think Haaland is a freak of nature. Usually a player that big isn't so quick, so you end up with someone like Duncan Ferguson or Jan Koller - good in the air but the rest of his game is not so effective. He's like the Usain Bolt of football - a guy that big shouldn't be that quick.
But it would be nice if he developed dodgy hammies or something to level the playing field.

He had a recurring stress fracture in his foot last season, and I guess we can only hope it reoccurs. Or something non life threatening but lengthy like an ingrown tow nail

He had a recurring stress fracture in his foot last season, and I guess we can only hope it reoccurs. Or something non life threatening but lengthy like an ingrown tow nail
Or a chronic loss of form.
Or a lengthy ban for bouncing the ball off an opponent's head (thought that was funny, to be fair).
I don't wish serious harm on the lad, but anything else that keeps him out for a lengthy period is fine by me.

Stolen off an Arsenal fan:

Fixtures played so far
Untitled.jpg

Stolen off an Arsenal fan:

Fixtures played so far
View attachment 3646

None of this concerns me greatly.

Reason being last season we "lost" twice (we all know it was once - and that came in a game where we were missing Robbo, Szobo, Mo, Darwin & had a 50% Trent) in 10 games v the traditional top 6 and then proceeded to throw the title away at home to Palace.

The concern lies with the scheduling, coming back from the internationals and having, on paper at least, to play 7-8 big teams domestically and in Europe back to back....because even if you miraculously come away with 7-8 wins....it will take it's toll on you, even if the next game is Southampton.

In fairness, it is exactly those sorts of games where we usually squander the league.
All we can do is beat the dross, and, Forest apart, we have done exactly that. Hardly a stick to beat us with that we have only played dross so far, it is not an indicator that we won't beat the big guns too.

The way I look at it is that we've been playing some good stuff in fits and starts, and also demonstrating weaknesses in our build up play and in possession that can be exploited by better teams. Recently, we haven't looked to be totally in sync in attack either. Under Klopp we often played against sides that were used to having more possession by really ramping up the aggression and pressing, and also being willing to counter. Only at our very very best did I feel like we approached those games with our full normal style and just bent the other team to our will. We punched up a lot, and we've been playing a bunch of games where we've been punching down. It is going to be a massive test to continue to have confidence in this newer style against teams that are our match and I'd expect some growing pains at the least, and significant challenges as injuries make us have to adjust the style.

We only won once against top 4 last season from what I remember so not a concern for me the fixture computer was kind, just means more exciting games on the way.

The way I look at it is that we've been playing some good stuff in fits and starts, and also demonstrating weaknesses in our build up play and in possession that can be exploited by better teams. Recently, we haven't looked to be totally in sync in attack either. Under Klopp we often played against sides that were used to having more possession by really ramping up the aggression and pressing, and also being willing to counter. Only at our very very best did I feel like we approached those games with our full normal style and just bent the other team to our will. We punched up a lot, and we've been playing a bunch of games where we've been punching down. It is going to be a massive test to continue to have confidence in this newer style against teams that are our match and I'd expect some growing pains at the least, and significant challenges as injuries make us have to adjust the style.
The issue I have this season, is that when we have been bad, it had nothing to do with forced errors by opposition, its all us screwing up under no pressure.

That's been the story for everyone though. Every time I watch match of the day about 80% of the goals conceded are because someone loses the ball trying to play it out from the back. All these shite teams at the bottom half of the table think they're Barcelona and it's becoming mad. At least that new keeper we found on the bench yesterday knew how to kick it out eighty yards.

Now I hate Mourinho, but one interesting thing he did say while he was at Chelsea and he was getting shit for not having much possession was he chose to give the other team the ball and wait for them to fuck up. It's the easiest way to create chances.

That's been the story for everyone though. Every time I watch match of the day about 80% of the goals conceded are because someone loses the ball trying to play it out from the back. All these shite teams at the bottom half of the table think they're Barcelona and it's becoming mad. At least that new keeper we found on the bench yesterday knew how to kick it out eighty yards.

Now I hate Mourinho, but one interesting thing he did say while he was at Chelsea and he was getting shit for not having much possession was he chose to give the other team the ball and wait for them to fuck up. It's the easiest way to create chances.

It’s a bit like “gengenpress is the best playmaker”, no? But more forcing them to make mistakes though instead of waiting

Here is one moan even though we're top of the league:

Slot is clueless about the LFC and the PL.

😆

ps One could add the word "still" in the sentence above (just prior to clueless) and make it not a moan. 😆 And that would be funny because we're top of the league. 😆

Back
Top Bottom