• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Moaning even though we're top of the league

Largely agree with the sentiment of @Woland ‘s OP – the good thing is Slot and the team don’t show any signs of getting carried away either; they know there is a lot of work to do. However let’s focus on tangible things Slot has improved so far compared to last season. It’s not a short or a trivial list…

1. Our defence concedes far fewer clear-cut chances than last season – even accounting for weak opposition (the likes of Wolves, Forest etc have created more scoring chances against us last season). Even in games where we lacked control, our GK’s hardly have had to make a difficult save. I think the Bournemouth game was the only exception.

2. This defensive improvement hasn’t come at a cost of weakening the attack, as many feared – all our forwards are scoring and contributing. So far Slot has been able to find a good balance with rapier-like counterattacks accounting for a large share of our goals and big chances. I’m glad we’re not doing the “death by passing” shite - long it may continue.

3. Individual improvement – Slot and the new coaching team can take full credit for the emergence of Gravenberch as a near world-class #6 and much improved scoring form of Diaz. Gakpo looks full of purpose on the LW, Trent bought into the idea of making himself a defensive monster, Jota is leading the line and scoring and Konate is back to his best. There are still several players who are a work in progress, but it’s important that this coaching team has demonstrated ability to improve players – contrast it to someone like Ten Hag. Klopp’s ability to get an extra 15-20% from most players (known as the “Klopp effect”) was something I most feared losing after he left; amazingly, this current coaching team is holding its own against one of the best individual coaches and motivators in history.

4. A slight shift in perspective – more emphasis on results, direct competition for places between teammates, blunt criticism when it’s warranted, a bit more pragmatic and down-to-earth approach compared to Klopp’s transcendent and inspirational one so far feels like a refreshing change, not a downgrade.

5. Finally, while it’s still a work in progress, I like Slot’s work with our midfield so far – Gravenberch’s new position is a masterstroke and the way our midfield is able to consistently progress the ball and feed the likes of Diaz and Salah in dangerous positions is great to see. Our forwards are consistently receiving the ball in positions where they can run at the last line of defence and express themselves – unlike last couple of seasons when they had to do way too much just to get into position to potentially cause damage. The midfielders themselves, judging by the interviews of Jones, MacAllister etc, are also very enthused by the stylistic change Slot brought and are embracing his ideas. Happy players expressing themselves on the pitch coupled with a no-nonsense approach and accountability for mistakes makes for a great team.

So yeah, lots of work to do and lots of things yet to prove, but this is as good of a start as I could hope for.

Untitled.jpg

View: https://x.com/AnfieldEdition/status/1840687104667349471

Agreed, some of the posts here are on Paul Tompkins level optimism.
Slot still has a whole lot to prove imo and so do some of the players.
He himself said the team still has a lot to prove. I like how he gave the reporters a reality check on where we are at the moment.

He himself said the team still has a lot to prove. I like how he gave the reporters a reality check on where we are at the moment.
Yes and we now know that beating Man U away wasn't a big deal.
The next two months will imo determine our season. Some tricky fixtures up ahead.

Yes and we now know that beating Man U away wasn't a big deal.
The next two months will imo determine our season. Some tricky fixtures up ahead.

Course it was. They were a voodoo team for us last year, and they always go up a level when we arrive.

Tough games, but all of those teams will be looking at this being their tough game.

I just really hope we beat Arsenal at the Emirates.

At the end of that run, Villa come to Anfield after away games at Spurs and then Club Bruges, so could be a bit fatigued from the travel.

We're winning, so it's easy to get carried away, but the warning signs are there. On another day we could have come unstuck in a couple of these games, on another day we'd have turned up against Forest. The inconsistencies are there because there are a few pieces here and there that are still not top drawer or that consistent (Szobo, a third of the front line, Salah has been hit and miss again). I think we'll miss Harvey when the games start coming thick and fast and we suffer any issue to Grav or Macca. Jones looks like he's starting to get to grips with it a bit, but he too can't really be relied upon to turn up each week and that's where we struggle, without that genuine class to step off the bench and into midfield, and pinning our hopes on Szobo coming anywhere near to what he's fleetingly shown he's capable of.

I still think we need a quality midfielder and I think we're hedging our bets a bit hoping that a rotation of Jota, Nunez and Gapko will come up trumps each time one of them plays. Jota has been poor, Nunez has had one good game and Gapko is the unfortunate one for playing in the same role as our current most threatening attacker.

We're ok, but I think we're in for a wake up call soon against someone half decent.

We are also currently playing without any injuries to anyone we would consider a first teamer.

PGMOL have set up Hooper (Spurs away last season) and Coote as VAR for Palace away.
We wont be top after next weekend thats for sure.

We genuinely haven't played anybody yet though. Shits about to get real after Palace (not taking them for granted either like). Chelsea look good, and Arsenal look good in a George Graham way. Them'uns followed by a Brighton double-header. If we come through those games well, then we can start talking.

In the past: play mid teams, and get some crap results, and some good ones. but show up for the "one off" v Chelsea, Arse, City, Man U.. and we believe...

Now: Play the mid teams, do great - get no praise because he haven't played the biggies yet 🙂

And just for the record, there's no easy games really any more.

Like last season, we’ll likely navigate the year looking less impressive than City and Arsenal in terms of style, often grinding out results, albeit with strong defensive solidity. However, our key advantage over City and Arsenal lies in the depth of attacking talent we can bring off the bench. Players like Gakpo, Nunez, Chiesa, and Elliott have the ability to change the course of any game.

City certainly have plenty of options, their substitutes tend to slot seamlessly into their existing system. In contrast, our substitutes often come on to shake things up and make an impact—particularly Gakpo and Elliott. This was evident when Foden came off the bench against Chelsea; despite his ability, he seemed unsure of how to influence the game, standing in the box, waving his arms, and focused solely on scoring. Although Foden is a better player than Elliott overall, I couldn’t help but feel that Elliott, in that same situation, would have had a far greater impact.

Like last season, we’ll likely navigate the year looking less impressive than City and Arsenal in terms of style, often grinding out results, albeit with strong defensive solidity. However, our key advantage over City and Arsenal lies in the depth of attacking talent we can bring off the bench. Players like Gakpo, Nunez, Chiesa, and Elliott have the ability to change the course of any game.

City certainly have plenty of options, their substitutes tend to slot seamlessly into their existing system. In contrast, our substitutes often come on to shake things up and make an impact—particularly Gakpo and Elliott. This was evident when Foden came off the bench against Chelsea; despite his undeniable talent, he seemed unsure of how to influence the game, standing in the box, waving his arms, and focused solely on scoring. Although Foden is a better player than Elliott overall, I couldn’t help but feel that Elliott, in that same situation, would have had a far greater impact.
City have two dominant players in their positions in Rodri and Haaland. When those guys are out they are massively weakened or need to change how they play.
Who is their second choice striker?
As you say, we have options up front, but at the very top of their system, City don’t. If the Troll is injured, they probably have to switch to a false nine, and they’re not used to playing that way now.

Arsenal were lucky to beat Leicester. City were lucky to draw Newcastle.
Arsenal also had a very tough game against Wolves, They won 2-0 but Wolves had their chances and it was a tight game by all accounts. They had more possession at Arsenal's place than they had against us at home, and the game was in the balance for a long period before Arsenal finished it with the second.

See here - https://www.mancity.com/players/mens even their own website admits they don't have an alternative
Precisely. Haaland has played every minute, except for half an hour in midweek when he came off at 3-0 up against a shite side who were long beaten. I'm sure they'll have some kid in reserve who can do a job at a push, but it'll be a massive drop-off for a team that now relies on their first choice. Big mistake selling Alvarez.

Website has Bobb as a midfielder ... along with 13 other midfielders

This is one of the things that gets the crazies crazier - they complain we only have 8 midfielders, while Citeh have 14 ... but ignore the fact we have 6 forwards to their 1

It may be blind optimism talking but Haaland will not maintain this trajectory of goal scoring and quality throughout his career. With his build and pace I'm convinced his body will break down more and more. Better yet he scurries off to Madrid when City are relegated.

Back
Top Bottom