• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

Agger didn't leave on a free. He forced the club's hand to let him leave even though he was still under contract, and when Brondby expressed an interest he wouldn't go anywhere else.
He was one of the dominant personalities in that dressing room, and Brendan couldn't handle them all, so one by one they left, even though some of them still had something left in the tank. Mild-mannered, average Mignolet in, big personality and still a top keeper in Pepe Reina out? Nah. Brendan couldn't bear the thought that he wasn't the top dog in that group.
So Agger did not leave on a free, but a lot of our former plays did which is the point I was making

So Agger did not leave on a free, but a lot of our former plays did which is the point I was making
Agreed. Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to correct you, more just a chance to put an anecdote up about Agger and Brendan.
And truth be told, Agger was pretty much done physically by then and with hindsight we were lucky to get anything for him.

Agger didn't leave on a free. He forced the club's hand to let him leave even though he was still under contract, and when Brondby expressed an interest he wouldn't go anywhere else.
He was one of the dominant personalities in that dressing room, and Brendan couldn't handle them all, so one by one they left, even though some of them still had something left in the tank. Mild-mannered, average Mignolet in, big personality and still a top keeper in Pepe Reina out? Nah. Brendan couldn't bear the thought that he wasn't the top dog in that group.
Sometimes you need to red out the dicks though.

alisson.jpg

Nice contrast to the TAA situation is Alisson. The club sees his value and keeps his contract nicely renewed. And Alisson makes press statements like the one you see in the photo above. So that now, yes, another club can try to get him out of his contract but for that they have to break the bank. Notice also how the club has an option to renew his contract for another year. That option is triggered depending upon things like how the keeper ages, his health situation etc. And that option can make sure to keep a player well locked into the contract and secure the above-noted breaking of the bank. Moneyball. And all of that provides focus and stability to the club and within the dressing room. That is the sort of stuff one should expect from individuals that can potentially be team captains or vice-captains.

In my opinion, a player like Alisson is of great, great value to the club even if he doesn't play all of the games (say due to hamstring issues). His positioning, shot-stopping and football-playing abilities are beyond splendid. As one example, just look at the Liverpool's performance thus far in the league, the goals allowed and the clean shits. His presence in the first run of games surely made a great difference. That is something one can always count on from him. And football is such a sport in which team performance in select few games can carry a much greater value. And a goalkeeper like Alisson can also be of tremendous value in helping to bed in younger, less experienced keepers that often have even glaring gaps in their skills. And those skills that Alisson has within himself can also be used even after his retirement. Even as a retired goalkeeper he will know how and where to position himself in specific situations so that he can serve as a model for all future Liverpool goalkeepers. And that is the knowledge that a club like Liverpool should seek to lock onto.

And Liverpool Football Club should seek to lock onto knowledge like that regardless of whether the player and/or individual in question is from Liverpool or not. That would be an example of a potential action by the FSG showing that they truly are custodians of the Liverpool Football Club. Custodians of the Liverpool football, football, football club.

So that if someone wants to get Alisson they reeeaaaallllyyyyy have to go out of their way to bbbbrrrrrrreeeeaaaaeakkkk the bank. Moneyball. I think that Alisson should next sign a player-goalkeeping-coach contract at Liverpool. And should slowly start doing both.

ps He also happens to be from that country that is around the world known as Brazil. But that happens to be beside the point being made in this post.

pps When approaching Alisson about this sort of stuff the FSG should tell him things like this: "We envision the Liverpool Football Club as a place in which you can walk into the squad as a 50-year-old and take care of a game. For fun but also very much for real. Because of the supporter demand. That's the sort of club we seek to build with you around. If you wish, of course, and if things pan out like that." In my opinion.

Unfortunately I just read that United have a buy-back clause on him; they can buy him for £16M while all other clubs would have to pay £42M. Can’t see them not exercising it, especially given their problems at LB. Shite if true.

Back
Top Bottom