• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

I think Real wanted him and were quite confident of getting him in the end. They're bid was around 20 mill + add ons appaz, but after the Utd bid was accepted at 62 mill then Lille was obviously mostly interested in getting that deal done.

I think our stance was pretty similar. If Real couldn't rap the deal up for around 20-30 mill then we would move in. But for 62 mill and 150k per week + agent and sign on fees then its clear we aren't even entertaining that.

I think Real wanted him and were quite confident of getting him in the end. They're bid was around 20 mill + add ons appaz, but after the Utd bid was accepted at 62 mill then Lille was obviously mostly interested in getting that deal done.

I think our stance was pretty similar. If Real couldn't rap the deal up for around 20-30 mill then we would move in. But for 62 mill and 150k per week + agent and sign on fees then its clear we aren't even entertaining that.
I get that and it seems clear enough…but, if we thought (as it seems the club were letting it be known) that Yoro was considered an exceptional transfer to plans and a generational talent, I’m surprised we haven’t followed this up.. even if we lowballed the Utd offer and wages by a little and got in the players ear about the opportunity with us.

With Virgil’s succession planning in mind, I have a feeling we’re going to be looking at Utd enviously on this one in a couple of years time.

I get that and it seems clear enough…but, if we thought (as it seems the club were letting it be known) that Yoro was considered an exceptional transfer to plans and a generational talent, I’m surprised we haven’t followed this up.. even if we lowballed the Utd offer and wages by a little and got in the players ear about the opportunity with us.

With Virgil’s succession planning in mind, I have a feeling we’re going to be looking at Utd enviously on this one in a couple of years time.

Thats a bit difficult I'd imagine from a negotiating stand point when an offer is accepted at 62 mill.
There were some rumbelings about us meeting the agency that represents him last week. If true and the fact that we havent made a bid just highlights that the financial package wasn't for us.

Could obvisouly be for an other player as well. Ait Nouri, Darwin, Pedro Neto, Joao Neves and Ugarte are represented by the same agency.

PSG had set their limit at 45 mill according to Julien Laurens, and that wasnt accepted either from Lille.

Yep, Quansah is a very talented young CB, and played very well last year. Konate's still very young too, albeit injury prone. Gomez had a great season last year as well. Doesn't make any sense to fork out a big sum of money for a 4th CB unless we're selling one of them.
Unless I'm missing something you have missed a rather important 4th CB

Considering joego will probably spend a lot of his time at fullback/plugging holes, i'm alright buying an established CB.

Be wild having a defensive partnership that are consistently fit

Thats probably why they want to see how Sepp performs during pre season first. He can play LCB.
His stats are pretty good and he clocked in the 4th highest speed of all the CBs in the Bundesliga.
Second on the 6 minute test after Salah so far as well.

View: https://x.com/AhmedLulat/status/1813535922459455624

Always difficult to compare across leagues but there's no doubt that Sepp has performed to a very high level in the BL and has greatly improved since he left these shores.

He absolutely batters Yoro over the heading and clearances metrics and we know he's a fast bugger. Yoro better passing but I'm not sure those metrics and his game will suit the way United play.

I thought Quansah mostly played at LCB prior to moving up to the first team, and only switched to RCB because he wouldn't displace VvD at LCB and we needed a RCB?

He's good enough already for the first team and he'll only get better, much better. High hopes.

I don’t think there is any point in spending a huge amount of money on a defender unless we’re selling someone (Konate), have decided the kids aren’t (ever) going to be good enough or there is a one off opportunity in the market this summer that we can’t afford to miss out on.

If we think Quansah can become a top class player, we should rotate him and Konate for another season to see how he develops.

An expensive center back is someone that would be starting 90% of matches.

I agree. Even if Lenny turns out to be a generational talent we cannot afford to be handing out these contracts to 18 - 20 year olds. The effect it will have on other contracts will make our wage bill unsustainable. United have a history of handing out big money deals to young players - Sancho, Martial etc.

At the same time, under Klopp, we had this approach of waiting for the right player at the right price approach even it means our squad is unbalanced for a year. We could afford to do that as we had a cheat code of a manager who could get us CL qualifications with Nat Philipps and Rhys Williams at CB. It would be unfair to expect that of Slott. I am not saying spend considerably every window but I hope we compromise a bit on either we do the deal or our terms or walk away.

Thats probably why they want to see how Sepp performs during pre season first. He can play LCB.
His stats are pretty good and he clocked in the 4th highest speed of all the CBs in the Bundesliga.
Second on the 6 minute test after Salah so far as well.

View: https://x.com/AhmedLulat/status/1813535922459455624

Stats are really not very useful in comparing defenders anyway. I would only look at things like aerial duel success rate and errors leading to goal.

Stats are really not very useful in comparing defenders anyway. I would only look at things like aerial duel success rate and errors leading to goal.

True, but it shows that Sepp had a very good year at Mainz and has developed in the right direction.
PSV have indicated that they are willing to break their transfer record to sign him, and they are usually good at evaluating talent as well. For a reference in terms of the last year he's had.

And when you have him in your ranks then why not give him a chance in pre season to see if he can fit into Arne's plans.

Always difficult to compare across leagues but there's no doubt that Sepp has performed to a very high level in the BL and has greatly improved since he left these shores.
Back 3 tax though.

I'd like VDB to be an amazing defender who saves us mills. I just can't see it. He'll be no better than an average CB, maybe even worse when in a back 2.

Back 3 tax though.

I'd like VDB to be an amazing defender who saves us mills. I just can't see it. He'll be no better than an average CB, maybe even worse when in a back 2.

So you think we have to apply that tax to every defender we evaluate who plays in a back 3?

Fwiw, they played a few games with a back 4 as well. Sepp played both RCB and LCB.

I wish these stats included all those shortfalls in a player, but I think the clubs do access those more often than the fans do. These stats Yoro and Sepp makes me feel good for Sepp and makes me believe in our scouts who may have seen something in him long before us. Lets just hope that he is here to claim whats rightfully his in that defence line. Looking forward to weeks ahead of the preseason.

So you think we have to apply that tax to every defender we evaluate who plays in a back 3?

Fwiw, they played a few games with a back 4 as well. Sepp played both RCB and LCB.
I would, yes. If a bulk of the games where he was getting decent reviews were in a 3 cb setup, thats hugely different to what we play and is vastly different to the pressures a 2 CB setup would have. Add in the Preston loans where he was a full back. I dunno, i'm just not sold on him being good enough to stop us looking at CBs

I would, yes. If a bulk of the games where he was getting decent reviews were in a 3 cb setup, thats hugely different to what we play and is vastly different to the pressures a 2 CB setup would have. Add in the Preston loans where he was a full back. I dunno, i'm just not sold on him being good enough to stop us looking at CBs

Guehi looked his best in a back 3

Guehi looked his best in a back 3
You think? I thought over the last few years he's looked solid in back 4's as well as back 3's. Add in the back 4 from the euros; i think he's looked pretty solid across the board.

So far this summer links have been scarce. There was Yoro, who we backed off of (rightly or wrongly), and Guehi who we'll no doubt baulk at the price at; hence the stories early doors of "assessing everyone" and "Sepp outperformed everyone on the 6 minute run", until actual first teamers started to come back.

As I say, if we decide to stick with Sepp, i hope i'm overwhelmingly wrong and he's the Ginger Stam. I just struggle to see it

You think? I thought over the last few years he's looked solid in back 4's as well as back 3's. Add in the back 4 from the euros; i think he's looked pretty solid across the board.

So far this summer links have been scarce. There was Yoro, who we backed off of (rightly or wrongly), and Guehi who we'll no doubt baulk at the price at; hence the stories early doors of "assessing everyone" and "Sepp outperformed everyone on the 6 minute run", until actual first teamers started to come back.

As I say, if we decide to stick with Sepp, i hope i'm overwhelmingly wrong and he's the Ginger Stam. I just struggle to see it

Lukeba could be the one we go for I guess. LCB and left footed.

Which top strikers did he play against in the Euros?

He’s below average in both winning ground duels and headed duels.

Back
Top Bottom