• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

International Break - Sept

Its not career ending so I don't feel any shame in supporting his time off relaxing at home whilst Arsenal crumble on the pitch.
This is the best generation Norway has produced since the 98-00 teams. That's also the last time they qualified for one of the major international tournaments.
Funnily enough a few, like 5 of them are actually sons of players from the prior generation. @Hansern can probably confirm this.
Point is, they desperately want to be back on the world stage. Just like Sweden.

International football is shit and has been for some time now.

The demands of club football are too great now and it's hard to see any way for international football to recover.

I wonder whether I'm just being a grumpy old man and kids today actually enjoy it like we used to back in the day or whether they think it's shit too.

The last euros was also the worst tournament in terms of quality I can remember. It seems smarter to do less internationals and have one camp in the winter or something so the players can actually rest and perform.

Lol though never gonna happen we will just continue to burn players into the ground and see more and more retire in their earlier 30s than before I reckon

The last euros was also the worst tournament in terms of quality I can remember. It seems smarter to do less internationals and have one camp in the winter or something so the players can actually rest and perform.

Lol though never gonna happen we will just continue to burn players into the ground and see more and more retire in their earlier 30s than before I reckon
Haven't the vast majority always retired in their 30s?! Actually au contraire perhaps as due to rising fitness levels (and money) more seem to be staying in the game for longer (just like in music)!

Even if International football was filled to the brim with excitement right now, people are just not gonna care when it's at the expense of club football. Summer tournaments is different, all the domestic campaigns are over and it's just a month of football every day between the last 32 qualified to determine who'll be the Euros/WC winners.....how it should be.

A week break 3 games into the season is bullshit, another 1 coming up in 4 weeks is bullshit and yet another in 8 weeks is bullshit. Killjoy.

Just look at these fixtures and take your pick, fucking Albania Georgia. Yesterday fucking Montenegro Wales. Nobody cares.

I think I've said this on here before but I remember a guy I worked with talking about how, when he was a kid, the World Cup (and maybe the occasional European Final) was the only time he got to see the likes of Maradonna, Platini etc. doing their thing. So it had an added excitement that it doesn't have now with the over-saturation of TV coverage. If you're prepared to pay for the relevant subscription channel, or can find a stream, you can watch pretty much any top-level game being played anywhere in the world. So, if your interest is in particular players, why would you need to watch international games?
And at club level, the Champions League has taken the shine off internationals - that's all the top pros go on about - they "need" to be in the Champions League.
Sure, the World Cup still has a pull, but for me personally that's because it's the only footy on at that time.

Thing is yes tournaments back then were great but I also remember some of the worst football I can remember in the actual finals.
W Germany v Arg, Italy v Brazil, Red Star Belgrade v AC Milan, AC Milan V Marseille, just horrible games so there were big players but not sure if the end football was any more watchable. Sacchi’s Milan was lauded but it wasn’t pleasent, rather preferred even Smith’s Rangers back then.

Hmm it's more basic then that, it's tribal, it's nationalism and hence consolidates populations around TV screens.
Oh yeah, that will absolutely be true for some people and in general for some nations, but I personally can't be arsed about England (other than hoping our boys do OK and don't get injured) and I enjoy the tournament more when they have been knocked out and the related hype has died down.

I also think the hype has no middle ground.

Tournaments - people losing their minds for any excuse to lob pints of carling around.
Friendlies & Nations League - zero fucks given.

FIFA and UEFA are milking this for all its worth and the result is that its ruining the game.

Expanded tournaments with more games and teams, the new World club cup format, the new CL format, Nations league on top of the WC/EC qualifiers. Its just to much footy and it becomes uninteresting.

Players are tired and fans become meh. Shame its always the wrong type of people that make these decisions.

This is the best generation Norway has produced since the 98-00 teams. That's also the last time they qualified for one of the major international tournaments.
Funnily enough a few, like 5 of them are actually sons of players from the prior generation. @Hansern can probably confirm this.
Point is, they desperately want to be back on the world stage. Just like Sweden.

Yes, this is by far the best generation we've had since the last time we were in the EC/WC.
The thing is that we have so many exciting players coming through and two World class players in their position that its horrific this team cant qualify. Sadly its probably down to the manager. But yeah, we're desperate.

Haaland, Thorstvedt, Sørloth and Berg are sons of former players.

The most interesting one is actually Nusa. Close to a move to Spurs and Brentford but ended up in Leipzing. He has been tearing it up on that left side. He'll be an absolute monster of a player. Still only 19 but 1 goal and 1 assist in 2 games for Leipzig in the Bundesliga. One to watch for sure.

International football needs a complete overhaul. There’s far too much of it. The tactics are dreadful, the football’s slow and dull, and honestly, from an England perspective, I’m sick of hearing about these so-called ‘3-4 year plans.’ It doesn’t matter who’s in charge, how many pointless friendlies are played, how many training camps they have, or how much they bang on about strategy – the national team never looks cohesive. We could hire Harry Redknapp for eight weeks every two years, pick the best in-form players, throw them together three weeks before a tournament, and it wouldn’t make a difference. Fuck it, even AI could do it. It might even improve things. This obsession with needing a full-time, high-profile manager endlessly assessing players is a charade – self-indulgent and overhyped. It’s given far too much respect and treated way too seriously for what it delivers.

We should scrap friendlies and qualifiers altogether. Make tournaments invite-only for the big nations based on the record of the previous tournament. Only let the lower-ranked nations fight for qualification for the Euros and World Cup. At least then we’d be spared the endless, mind-numbing build-up, the inane debates over the national anthem, and, most importantly, we’d avoid disrupting the football people care about.

I understand that some people – here and abroad – might genuinely enjoy every aspect that comes with international football and would strongly disagree. These people are fucking deranged and should be sectioned.

One of the main issue is like Club football, no one is currently paying any more for TV rights wise for the same product. So every fcker is adding more games, as per updated CL, Euros and now WC. We probably reached saturation point 10yrs ago and doubt £ per game has gone up. Rather than showing motr games, now have now started to create more games to feed all the investment vechicles that own the clubs.

Scaloni totally moaning but starting and playing him in every fcking pointless game. That’s what you get…

Gravy with an assist after 2 mins. 1-0 Holland
And who scored?

reindeer.gif

Back
Top Bottom