• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

International Break - Sept

Just turned on the Northern Ireland game to see how Bradley is doing.
He plays differently for them. Does too much, which is understandable.
He is their best ever player and everything they do hangs on him.

Best wishes for the move. Always wanted to visit Nunavut. Will be looking forward to your posts on interesting things to do.

Thanks, I'll try to share some pics and stories from time to time! We plan on doing plenty of backcountry adventures and my job will take me across the territory.

Holy Moley, you were already really far north right? Winter has already started? What's it like? Always wanted to visit the far north!

Yes, we'd recently spent time in the Northwest Territories, which is nearly as far north but culturally much more like life in southern Canada.

Nunavut is a majority Inuit (northern Indigenous) territory, not that far removed from a traditional life. That said, Iqaluit is relatively cosmopolitan by northern Canadian standards (see @Farkmaster post below lol), with a relatively diverse population. Very little sunlight in the winter, sun virtually never sets in the summer. Long, cold winters and mild, cool summer. About 10k population, fly in only (no roads off Baffin Island). Amazon ships there, so can get pretty much whatever I want. Couple acceptable grocery stores, albeit with horrific prices. Social inequality is a major issue, as is housing and food inaccessibility. Lots of folks from out of territory hired in senior positions like mine as local capacity is still developing.

I always wanted to do some canoeing in Nunavut, never made it.

I was googling about Iqualuit and saw a glorified outpost in the tundra, 7k people, and it looked like there were THREE Tim Hortons. That has to be the most canadian thing ever.

Lol, you've basically nailed it. We're planning on canoeing the Soper River on Baffin Island with outfitters next summer. We'll probably do most our adventures with outfitters due to our relative lack of skills vis a vis the Arctic, polar bears, stuff like that.

One day I'd like to canoe the Barren Lands - either the Thelon or perhaps, if we ever develop our whitewater skills to a decent level, the Coppermine.

Why why why why would anyone move to Nunavut?

Are you a researcher?

Same reason anyone moves to remote places: financial reasons and work-life balance.

My wife and I are both pharmacists. She'll be managing a pharmacy and I've taken a senior mgmt role with government. Fully subsidized housing, mostly subsidized food. Limited things to spend money on. Selling our house in southern Canada and invest the proceeds. Make more money, work less hours, travel more, and cut years off retirement. Plus have an adventure that many people never experience.

You must be the furthest North Liverpool supporter on SCM. You should plant a flag or something.

Ironically, we're not that much north of Helsinki or Stockholm (63N v 59/60) Plenty of Scandos who are further north, I imagine.

Seems so much further north because of how remote and sparsely populated. I'm hoping there will be some football supporters in town (there's an indoor league, so there's some hope) but won't hold out hope that any support Liverpool.

Thanks, I'll try to share some pics and stories from time to time! We plan on doing plenty of backcountry adventures and my job will take me across the territory.

Yes, we'd recently spent time in the Northwest Territories, which is nearly as far north but culturally much more like life in southern Canada.

Nunavut is a majority Inuit (northern Indigenous) territory, not that far removed from a traditional life. That said, Iqaluit is relatively cosmopolitan by northern Canadian standards (see @Farkmaster post below lol), with a relatively diverse population. Very little sunlight in the winter, sun virtually never sets in the summer. Long, cold winters and mild, cool summer. About 10k population, fly in only (no roads off Baffin Island). Amazon ships there, so can get pretty much whatever I want. Couple acceptable grocery stores, albeit with horrific prices. Social inequality is a major issue, as is housing and food inaccessibility. Lots of folks from out of territory hired in senior positions like mine as local capacity is still developing.

Lol, you've basically nailed it. We're planning on canoeing the Soper River on Baffin Island with outfitters next summer. We'll probably do most our adventures with outfitters due to our relative lack of skills vis a vis the Arctic, polar bears, stuff like that.

One day I'd like to canoe the Barren Lands - either the Thelon or perhaps, if we ever develop our whitewater skills to a decent level, the Coppermine.

Same reason anyone moves to remote places: financial reasons and work-life balance.

My wife and I are both pharmacists. She'll be managing a pharmacy and I've taken a senior mgmt role with government. Fully subsidized housing, mostly subsidized food. Limited things to spend money on. Selling our house in southern Canada and invest the proceeds. Make more money, work less hours, travel more, and cut years off retirement. Plus have an adventure that many people never experience.

Ironically, we're not that much north of Helsinki or Stockholm (63N v 59/60) Plenty of Scandos who are further north, I imagine.

Seems so much further north because of how remote and sparsely populated. I'm hoping there will be some football supporters in town (there's an indoor league, so there's some hope) but won't hold out hope that any support Liverpool.

Sounds amazing mate. Good luck and looking forward to the updates on how its going.

Doak must have been decent when he came on.
This is from the Beeb........

Doak is still a teenager and hasn't played a competitive game since last December, but he was a buzz bomb on the right.

Quite how the kid could go from no serious football in an age to having an influence in the maelstrom of a desperate Hampden was remarkable.

Doak must have been decent when he came on.
This is from the Beeb........

Doak is still a teenager and hasn't played a competitive game since last December, but he was a buzz bomb on the right.

Quite how the kid could go from no serious football in an age to having an influence in the maelstrom of a desperate Hampden was remarkable.

Got 5.8 on fotmob.

Didn't watch so can't comment

This sounds incredible.

It really does sound incredible and I so wish I could do what you've done, since I'm a bit of an adventurer as well. Tired of living in a big city, elbowing people on the commuter train every day.
I do have a job where I can work from home or other cities but I have to check in at least twice a week.

Sounds really exciting, man. Wish you the best.
I hope you like mosquitos.

I watched and he did worry the Polish defence one or two times, but it mostly lead to nothing.
pretends-to-be-shocked-surprised.gif

It really does sound incredible and I so wish I could do what you've done, since I'm a bit of an adventurer as well. Tired of living in a big city, elbowing people on the commuter train every day.
I do have a job where I can work from home or other cities but I have to check in at least twice a week.

Sounds really exciting, man. Wish you the best.
I hope you like mosquitos.

It's definitely going to be a change. I'm an urbanist at heart but I've also come to love quiet, rural life.

Fortunate to have a profession that offers opportunity in either setting and where income goes up, not down, the further one goes away from major cities.

And my hometown is affectionately known as the mosquito capital anyways. But northern bugs are something different altogether lol!

Ah mate, so so smart. Well done.

We're planning on canoeing the Soper River on Baffin Island with outfitters next summer. We'll probably do most our adventures with outfitters due to our relative lack of skills vis a vis the Arctic, polar bears, stuff like that.

That's amazing. It doesn't seem that hard a trip at all from the canoeing end, but looks gorgeous. When I was planning on doing a trip way up north, part of what made it fall apart was that my friend and I have zero experience with guns and everyone I spoke to with experience said we should have extensive rifle training among other things. My friend, who lived in Alaska for ages described it less as marksmanship and more as being able to keep load and fire a rifle or shotgun safely while a polar bear is swimming very rapidly at your canoe. The starting your car while the cloaked man runs at you with a sickle horror movie scenario.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I didn't get around to it!

I have had experience with bears in general, using mace, including brown bear, but polar bears, and even the brown bear up there are a different kettle of fish, and I chickened out. That's not even getting into the grazers, other threats etc. I wonder whether I'll ever do it now, too, as I do my canoeing with my kid, and he's seven, so we're on class I and II whitewater, short trips, and no murderous bear.

Guns??? Awwwwww, how could you?

717QFuw3eML._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
You probably couldn't. To my understanding they are essentially loud noisemakers that articulate fuck off more so than having stopping power. Plus you really don't want to kill a polar bear, the bureaucracy involved is marginally preferred to death.

Back
Top Bottom