• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

EURO 2024 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the pundits have been hard on Trent. He hasn't been that bad.
No one is making runs up front. Kane isn't in the box, Foden isn't staying wide. Trent is too used to the LFC system, naturally.
To those complaining about him playing in midfield, he's not going to get better if he doesn't play there.

England would look better balanced with Gordon. Neither Tripper or Foden want to be on the left and they have not created anything all game against lacklustre opposition. Kanes been wank, too.

Bellingham, Walker, Rice and Saka have been decent.

I think the pundits have been hard on Trent. He hasn't been that bad.
No one is making runs up front. Kane isn't in the box, Foden isn't staying wide. Trent is too used to the LFC system, naturally.
To those complaining about him playing in midfield, he's not going to get better if he doesn't play there.

Might not have been totally his fault, but he did look like a fish out of water. I was more concerned by how he looked out of possession, clearly not sure where to be, who to mark and when to press. A couple of nice interceptions, but overall he looks far from integrated into a system.

Might not have been his fault, but he did look like a fish out of water. I was more concerned by how he looked out of possession, clearly not sure where to be, who to mark and when to press. A couple of nice interceptions, but he looks far from integrated into a system.
Agreed, I saw both Walker and Rice pointing to Trent where he should be.
He's still learning.

Well, at least he could learn.

If he wouldn't be so convinced by himself already.
Yeah I'm not liking his big time Charlie strutting. He looked knackered after 60 mins. You'd expect more from someone from the Klopp school

Agreed, I saw both Walker and Rice pointing to Trent where he should be.
He's still learning.
Actually I noticed Trent doing a lot of hand-pointing, but no one seemed to pay a lot of attention to his signals. Overall kind of a muddled system; not enough running in behind, some intricate play through the middle, but didn't fully commit to it when Serbia challenged them. Not sure what's the desired playing style here.

England look like a bunch of individuals thrown together. As usual.

It's weird that successive managers have failed to get the England "team" to be at the very least the sum of it's parts. I wonder why that is.

And although it usually gets blamed on the media, expectations etc., it's not just that. There is more at play.

Actually I noticed Trent doing a lot of hand-pointing, but no one seemed to pay a lot of attention to his signals. Overall kind of a muddled system; not enough running in behind, some intricate play through the middle, but didn't fully commit to it when Serbia challenged them. Not sure what's the desired playing style here.
Trent is more protected in our system. Teams often play a lot deeper against us, giving him more space. He looked a bit timid with the ball at his feet for England. Like he was afraid of making mistakes.

Trent is more protected in our system. Teams often play a lot deeper against us, giving him more space. He looked a bit timid with the ball at his feet for England. Like he was afraid of making mistakes.

It was a very incoherent set up. The number of times at least two of Rice, Bellingham and TAA were occupying the same space was odd.

TAA will get blamed for the lack of control in the middle of the park (and for giving away possession cheaply on a number of occassions) but he shouldn't be alone in getting that blame. The team as a whole was culpable.

England look like a bunch of individuals thrown together. As usual.

It's weird that successive managers have failed to get the England "team" to be at the very least the sum of it's parts. I wonder why that is.

And although it usually gets blamed on the media, expectations etc., it's not just that. There is more at play.
You have actually described the issue we see on the pitch beautifully, so what do you think by what you said about more at play ?

They looked terrible and the usual backs to the wall after going a goal up. Inability to pass and move or provide options to their team mates. Also its shit using TAA if he has zero options from deep. Also Gareth is trying to use Foden like he is Jack Grealish, why the fuck didnt he just include Jack in the squad who could at least hold the ball up ? If he hated Jack that much then why not pick Curtis ?

All in all, despite it being techincally not a particularly awful performance, I think long-term it was a pretty disastrous night for Trent in his bid to become a midfielder - whether for England, Liverpool or maybe Madrid. There was nothing in it that said “let’s build on that, after a few tweaks” - it was more of a “let’s not go in this direction again” performance.

The tournanent is short and the pressure on Southgate to win with this squad is immense. In these circumstances you need to take to a new role like a duck to water, but Trent was anything but comfortable. I think this game was his chance to stake his claim and he didn’t. He might not get another chance…

Doesn’t help Kane thinking he is the best midfielder there is and constantly dropping back and looking like a big lumber oof. You are supposed to be actual furthest playing striker, stay there you dick…

All in all, despite it being techincally not a particularly awful performance, I think long-term it was a pretty disastrous night for Trent in his bid to become a midfielder - whether for England, Liverpool or maybe Madrid. There was nothing in it that said “let’s build on that, after a few tweaks” - it was more of a “let’s not go in this direction again” performance.

The tournanent is short and the pressure on Southgate to win with this squad is immense. In these circumstances you need to take to a new role like a duck to water, but Trent was anything but comfortable. I think this game was his chance to stake his claim and he didn’t.
You are right, his positioning and also lack of running is shit in midfield, he is definetly not press resistant never has been. He just looks shit in midfield, and even as a RB he would struggle against any opposite international winger with any pace, even that 16 year old from Spain, but luckily that kid plays on the other side.

my pre tournament prediction was that gallagher would worm his way into the side and probably displace trent much like hendo did to mount? previously

alright start but without any cohesion england will probably look better when they’re living off their wits and running their nuts off to raise the tempo, forcing mistakes

It might be better if Southgate stopped fucking about and just went with a trusted old English 4-4-2:

--------Kane---Watkins/Palmer------
Gordon--------------------------Saka
--------Bellingham--Rice-------------

It will be shite for large periods, but also exhilarating once they increase the tempo and go for it.

Cesc Fabregas and Rio Ferdinand agree on Trent Alexander-Arnold in England opener

Trent Alexander-Arnold has been talked about more than any other England player this week. The Liverpool man impressed Cesc Fabregas, though, against Serbia.

Liverpool star Trent Alexander-Arnold started in midfield for England as the Three Lions began their Euro 2024 campaign with a narrow victory over Serbia thanks to a single Jude Bellingham goal.

And Alexander-Arnold, who has been the subject of intense scrutiny heading into the tournament, was praised by BBC Sport pundits Cesc Fabregas and Rio Ferdinand for his performance. While the Liverpool number 66 can get even better, it was a positive start in Germany as England picked up a win, and both former players feel there is more to come from the Reds man.

"Mixed," was Cesc Fabregas' verdict. "He had a moment where he was superb and maybe a few things came a little too easy with the ball [like when a heavy touch allowed a Serbia chance] but overall he reacted well and showed good personality. The more he plays in there, the better he will become. I'm not worried about that."

Ferdinand was in agreement that there was enough in Alexander-Arnold's 69-minute appearance to take heart heading into group matches with Denmark and Slovenia, and then the knockout phase.

"It's the quality," he added. "When you have got him on the ball, you get caught a couple of times and that's part and parcel. Especially in midfield, you get a lot more touches and people are coming at you from different angles.

"But then you see stuff like this [crossfield pass]. There aren't many who can change it from being a defensive position to the final third in one pass, and he has that quality. The only concern you have is when you play against the better teams and he's being asked questions defensively. But I like to focus on what he's good at. It's getting into these areas and picking out a white shirt."

Its a shame Trent cant switch alliance and play for a country that dont microsanalyze every touch and target him more than any other player. It was a 6/10 performance last night. Nothing great but nothing really bad either. Some excellent passes and he actually broke up play several times with some intelligent positioning.

I'd give him one more game there in the group stages. England can afford that.

i think you’ll find a strong correlation between countries that are rarely competitive and countries where the players aren’t closely scrutinised by press and fans

The problem with England is the big club tribalism beneath the National team. Former Utd players as pundits ripping into Liverpool players and vice versa.

There isnt an ounce of objectivity anywhere.

Thought they said he lacked experience:

Trent on his performance vs. Serbia:'It was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt prepared through the conversations and the work we've done throughout the week. We’ve been working very hard on this role for the past year, so a lot of preparation has gone into it.”

He played well, that midfield three should just continue to play. The bigger questions really was the lack of balance on the left and the fact that Foden walks into the side despite repeatedly being shit for England. Kane was terrible too. When they needed an outlet in the second half it wasn't there. They knocked it into Kane once and he held it up and won a freekick, the rest of the time they were aimlessly hoofing the ball forward and there was no one chasing the ball down.

They need a good young striker in there up top, they need to play Gordon on the left and they need to use Palmer instead of Saka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom