• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can we find the Lavia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an argument that we have four strong starters for 3 or 4 spots
Bajcetic is back
Trent is playing in the middle
MacAlistair improves us
Szboszlai improves us

With Jones, in the mix.

Not good enough sadly is Henderson, Fabs, Elliot, Thiago - so we are carrying four, 3 of which bring great experience. And maybe maybe Fabs will find his feet and Elliot will find his way. Hendo and Thiago - bring great wisdom but would be off the pace.
Don't think Trent will get a minute in midfield until we sign a backup right back.

There's an argument that we have four strong starters for 3 or 4 spots
Bajcetic is back
Trent is playing in the middle
MacAlistair improves us
Szboszlai improves us

With Jones, in the mix.

Not good enough sadly is Henderson, Fabs, Elliot, Thiago - so we are carrying four, 3 of which bring great experience. And maybe maybe Fabs will find his feet and Elliot will find his way. Hendo and Thiago - bring great wisdom but would be off the pace.

You cannot say Bajcetic is strong starter when he played because he had to

Exactly, I am puzzled at why so many posters are casually name dropping Morton as an alternative. He has not proven himself as a regular starter at the Championship level. He needs to show a lot more for us to pander to his development.
I’m not sure that’s the yardstick with which to measure a young player. I go back to everyone’s favourite English player. It wasn’t just Arsenal who thought Benik Afobe was going to be a better striker. Spurs also thought Harry Kane wasn’t yet adequate and he was about to be sent back on loan after Soldado was brought in. It took Tim Sherwood— stop laughing at the back— to drop the latter, recall and start Kane.

Last edited:
I was sure we'd only sign two midfielders at the start of this silly season.

I thought one of them would be capable of playing DM.

We better buy a very good CB. We're not going to, are we?
Let's just say it wouldn't come as a surprise and leave it there before too many read this and start having panic attacks when they should be enjoying their summer holidays.

I’m not sure that’s the yardstick with which to measure a young player. I go back to everyone’s favourite English player. It wasn’t just Arsenal who thought Benik Afobe was going to be a better striker. Spurs also thought Harry Kane wasn’t yet adequate and he was about to be sent back on loan after Soldado was brought in. It took Tim Sherwood— stop laughing at the back— to drop the latter, recall and start Kane.

Harry Kane was the exception to the rule. In the last 20 years, if you had a player who was not a regular starter in the championship on loan, then almost certainly that player is not ready to play an important role for a team aiming to qualify for the Champions League.

Anyone heard anything about badgers fitness? I think one of the usual podcasts half mentioned his fitness is still a concern.

Are we assuming Curtis is going to stay fit enough to matter? Him and Thiago are the injury concerns, hendo and Fabinho are the decline concerns, badger and Elliott are they up to the job concerns (i do like badger though).
So that's question marks over 6 of our 9 to start with! Then there's the whole "does Klopp see TAA as a midfielder" question. I'd say he doesn't so that's questions over 6 out of 8 not 9.

No granted which is why I said if we had Fab Hendo and Thiago out and 3 better in quality, no one would argue.

Plus I don't see lack of physicality in stature as a hugely negative aspect....experience of Fab Hendo and Thiago could negate some of that & they aren't exactly the weakest of midfielders you'll ever see. Szobo is a big boy too and think he'll do just fine.

Chelsea won the CL with Kante Kovacic and Jorginho not because they had physical attributes but because they complimented each other very well and played to Tuchel's instructions with spirit & quality.

But at the same time I get they'll always be something wrong from having a perfect squad, if it's not too old, it's too young, if it's not too inexperienced, it's too experienced, not physical enough, not pacey enough etc
Complemented!!

'Pulls hair out'.

So that's question marks over 6 of our 9 to start with! Then there's the whole "does Klopp see TAA as a midfielder" question. I'd say he doesn't so that's questions over 6 out of 8 not 9.

Yeah, but there’s questions about every single player in the squad except Alisson.

Some of those questions are from hysterical fannies though.

I suppose the hope is that Curtis has put a decent run of fitness together which will continue and the 2 new guys will allow more selective use of he, Thiago, hendo, as well as an easing in of badger.

Lavia makes sense, he’s the one to backup Fabinho. Price is all sorts of wrong though.

I suppose the hope is that Curtis has put a decent run of fitness together which will continue and the 2 new guys will allow more selective use of he, Thiago, hendo, as well as an easing in of badger.

Lavia makes sense, he’s the one to backup Fabinho. Price is all sorts of wrong though.

So’ton paid £20m for him a year ago and he’s had a decent season.

Reasonable for them to expect £30m plus add ons to take it up to the £50m - but it depends on the clauses City have in there too, like sell on.

City aren’t going to sell at a loss or a small profit - why would they.

We could look to make it worth their while by chucking in someone like Morton on loan, or even permanently if we think Lavia’s worth it.

If we buy Levi Colwill, then Trent moves to midfield.
So we're buying a centre back who never played right back to be our new right back so we can move our right back who played 3 games in midfield to midfield?

Tbf Pep made it work with Stones, never played midfield before and moved Akanji to RB. Seemed to work out reasonably well.

Fwiw I think Colwill is meant to replace Robertson in the LB/LCB role and Trent continues as the RB/CM hybrid. But that's footy manager talk anyway because we're not getting him

So we're buying a centre back who never played right back to be our new right back so we can move our right back who played 3 games in midfield to midfield?

Nah - it’s the fluid system where we shift to a 343 box midfield in possession with Trent as one of two 6’s, then move back into a 433 with a false 9 (which looks like a 442 midfield diamond) out of possession with Trent going back to RB.

Not Rightback, 3 x CB was what some people think might happen.

Complemented!!

'Pulls hair out'.

Maybe he meant complimented. See here for Jorginho complimenting Kovacic. 😉

“I’m very happy for him (Kovacic). He’s an amazing player. He played so well tonight… Amazing goal. He helped us as always,” Jorginho said.

Liverpool view Lavia as a long-term anchor, but there would need to be a significant dent in Southampton's asking price for the Belgium international, who would also need to make clear Anfield is his destination of choice. [
@MelissaReddy_
]
The club's stance is there would need to be outgoings in midfield first - Thiago is attracting widespread interest - before they sign another. Liverpool's ideal is if circumstances align a signing could happen regardless of exits. [@MelissaReddy_]

Honestly, if the club feels Lavia is good enough to be a long term anchor, then 50 million is not a bad price for a homegrown player who solves that problem for ages. And it is not like Thiago is going to be there after this season. Are we that broke that we cannot afford the salary of a long term anchor for one year without selling Thiago?

I suspect the Club is intent on selling some of the established fan favourites like Thiago, Fabinho, Matip and Henderson.

Spreading the word that Incomings are dependent on outgoings is a good way to get the buy-in of fans and the players themselves.

I suspect the Club is intent on selling some of the established fan favourites like Thiago, Fabinho, Matip and Henderson.

Spreading the word that Incomings are dependent on outgoings is a good way to get the buy-in of fans and the players themselves.

To be fair - it’s only right the club let the fans down gently after letting Keita leave and passing on the chance to sign Arthur!!!

They are not Steven Gerrard. I mean Anfield respects the four of them for what they gave to us, but it is not like we have a deep emotional connection to them. I don't think the club needs to mentally prepare us for their departure. Just give us a shiny new toy with mad skillz and tackles on youtube compilations. We will be fine.

Liverpool view Lavia as a long-term anchor, but there would need to be a significant dent in Southampton's asking price for the Belgium international, who would also need to make clear Anfield is his destination of choice. [
@MelissaReddy_
]
The club's stance is there would need to be outgoings in midfield first - Thiago is attracting widespread interest - before they sign another. Liverpool's ideal is if circumstances align a signing could happen regardless of exits. [@MelissaReddy_]

Honestly, if the club feels Lavia is good enough to be a long term anchor, then 50 million is not a bad price for a homegrown player who solves that problem for ages. And it is not like Thiago is going to be there after this season. Are we that broke that we cannot afford the salary of a long term anchor for one year without selling Thiago?
We don't have the 50m.

Nats and Morton bring in £20m. Now we need another £25m. Van den berg £5m. So they need another £20m.... What about going to fucking bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom