• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can we find the Lavia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Its not profit on sale. Its 20% on total sale on this one from what I've read.

Well, if that’s the case it totally explains why they want £50m - it just means they make a little less from the total sale - but they’re wanting to bank £40m.

It does seem like we totally failed to anticipate the Saudi spending inflating the market, which rendered our apparent strategy of waiting until bargains appear late in the window useless. We should have done our business early. To think that Ugarte went for £54M in June - now clubs would kill for that kind of “bargain.”

It does seem like we totally failed to anticipate the Saudi spending inflating the market, which rendered our apparent strategy of waiting until bargains appear late in the window useless. To think that Ugarte went for £54M in June - now clubs would kill for that kind of “bargain.”

It's why I despise waiting. Bargains don't appear as the window trundles on. Only desperation

It does seem like we totally failed to anticipate the Saudi spending inflating the market, which rendered our apparent strategy of waiting until bargains appear late in the window useless. We should have done our business early. To think that Ugarte went for £54M in June - now clubs would kill for that kind of “bargain.”
Who?

I can't believe we didn't pick up any bargains early in the window.. Like Alexis Mac Allister for 35m..

Probably fair to apply a penalty when things drag on so close to the season start. ‘50m was the July price’
Totally respect Southampton's stance. This isn't like the good old days when smaller clubs and especially relegated clubs had an almost servile relationship to the bigger clubs.
It's rare that clubs nowadays can feel pressured to sell the way they did before. Almost doing the player a favour.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these players need to start adding release clauses to their contracts. Yeah it might mean a lower salary but you won't wind up in a "Kane" situation.

I really hope the club moves on. We should have moved on after the first rejection, that might have signalled other clubs that we aren't really in the mood for haggling.

I doubt Ugarte was a target in June given that we probabaly were planning on having Fabinho.

I doubt Ugarte was a target in June given that we probabaly were planning on having Fabinho.
And therein is our biggest problem when it comes to refreshing the team. We don’t move players on when they’re clearly past their peak. Had not both Henderson and Fabinho been lured Saudi rials, they’d still be here on those wages and delivering pretty much the same or or worse performances as last season.

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy those manc bastards and refuse their money or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I'll no longer read my twitter feed. Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

I can't believe we didn't pick up any bargains early in the window.. Like Alexis Mac Allister for 35m..

We did well to steal a march on other clubs, but a DM was always essential this summer, even if fabinho stayed

I reckon they haven’t brought at inflated fees as they have focussed big salaries but it has meant slightly lower supply so at times some inflated prices in places but then I would have thought by end of May we would have had a DM signed and ready. Feels like we priortised Szbo and probably had limited funds to go with as per usual minus sales further down.

We're just tight. The Bellingham money has all gone on Mac and Dom. Had Bellingham joined we probably would not have signed anyone else. Fabs and Hendo were not expected to leave, which is the only reason we're after a six. Had a third midfielder always been anticipated then we would have already wrapped up a deal weeks ago, or we wouldn't have waited until both Henderson and Fabinho were out the door before making moves for players.

There is no point wasting any energy in hoping for FSG to loosen the purse strings. We're always going to go into seasons with gaps, hoping kids step up, and hoping the transfers we do make can out-perform their transfer fee.

Last edited:
We're just tight. The Bellingham money has all gone on Mac and Dom. Had Bellingham joined we probably would not have signed anyone else. Fabs and Hendo were not expected to leave, which is the only reason we're after a six. Had a third midfielder always been anticipated then we would have already wrapped up a deal weeks ago, or we wouldn't have waited until both Henderson and Fabinho were out the door before making moves for players.

There is no point wasting any energy in hoping for FSG to loosen the purse strings. We're always going to go into seasons with gaps, hoping kids step up, and hoping the transfers we do make can out-perform their transfer fee.

Same old then. The problem with our so-called, sustainable, fantastic blueprint is that if you don't have a big name player to sell for £90m+ every few transfer windows, our unwillingness to back up success or give us leg up when it's occasionally needed, is there for all to see. Gomez and Matip shouldn't be at the club anymore, they're both about two years past their sell by date, yet here we are, ready to enter a new season with two centre halves of good quality, one of whom is hitting a decline and the other who is injury prone. Yet we have 25 forwards and a threadbare midfield. It's negligence. It's a complete lack of foresight and good club management.

Meanwhile, United are spending as always, while their fans continue to aspire (and protest) for a change in ownership. FSG have literally gotten away with fucking murder for a few years now.

And therein is our biggest problem when it comes to refreshing the team. We don’t move players on when they’re clearly past their peak. Had not both Henderson and Fabinho been lured Saudi rials, they’d still be here on those wages and delivering pretty much the same or or worse performances as last season.

Agreed, although I think we wanted to sign Lavia regardless. The plan was probably to ease him in.

Same old then. The problem with our so-called, sustainable, fantastic blueprint is that if you don't have a big name player to sell for £90m+ every few transfer windows, our unwillingness to back up success or give us leg up when it's occasionally needed, is there for all to see. Gomez and Matip shouldn't be at the club anymore, they're both about two years past their sell by date, yet here we are, ready to enter a new season with two centre halves of good quality, one of whom is hitting a decline and the other who is injury prone. Yet we have 25 forwards and a threadbare midfield. It's negligence. It's a complete lack of foresight and good club management.

Meanwhile, United are spending as always, while their fans continue to aspire (and protest) for a change in ownership. FSG have literally gotten away with fucking murder for a few years now.

Matip and Gomez being at the club has nothing to do with FSG. The same way Keita and Ox stayed past their due date.
That's all on Klopp and his fucking loyalty towards the players.

Matip and Gomez being at the club has nothing to do with FSG. The same way Keita and Ox stayed past their due date.
That's all on Klopp and his fucking loyalty towards the players.

I don't buy that. If he knows the projected budgets for the next window, and the next window, what do you expect him to do? If he knows in the Summer he needs about 5 players but will likely only be able to bring in 2-3, he'll rightly plug gaps. The flip side is he does what others have done before him and buys players he knows aren't good enough, to plug the same gaps.

I don't buy that. If he knows the projected budgets for the next window, and the next window, what do you expect him to do? If he knows in the Summer he needs about 5 players but will likely only be able to bring in 2-3, he'll rightly plug gaps.
I'm not the one who arrogantly stated that he didn't need more midfielders in a press conference and later on panicked.
No, Klopp has absolute confidence in his players.
I can't be convinced that a business like FSG were OK with letting Can, Gini, Origi, Ox and Keita go for free.

I'm not the one who arrogantly stated that he didn't need more midfielders in a press conference and later on panicked.
I can't be convinced that a business like FSG were OK with letting Can, Gini, Origi, Ox and Keita go for free.

It's all fucked, so it's hard to tell who's culpable in those instances. When we're clearly not going to spend a decent margin, I'm not sure you can really lay into Klopp when he makes decisions to keep players longer than we need to, we won the CL and the league and spent what? He's consistently refused to call out FSG directly, save the occasional dig, he'll always say one thing in interviews, it's not always a clear indication of the reality because he repeatedly acts with dignity and humility when it comes to his players and our owners. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I don't think you can put too much faith in the things Klopp says to keep the status quo. He should be kicking up a fuss, but rightly or wrongly he doesn't, in public anyway.

Last edited:

Klopp is always going to back his players in the media. What did you expect him to do? Throw them to the wolves like Mourinho? Come on.

That said, I do believe he is partly culpable when it comes to keeping players past their sell by date... but he's operating in a framework that encourages him to do what he's been doing.

FSG should be the targets of our frustration. If this season blows up in our faces as a result of preventable issues, I'm officially in the FSG out camp.

It's all fucked, so it's hard to tell who's culpable in those instances. When we're clearly not going to spend a clear margin, I'm not sure you can really lay into Klopp when he makes decisions to keep players longer than we need to, we won the CL and the league and spent what? He's consistently refused to call out FSG directly, save the occasional dig, he'll always say one thing in interviews, it's not always a clear indication of the reality because he repeatedly acts with dignity and humility when it comes to his players and our owners. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I don't think you can put too much faith in the things Klopp says to keep the status quo. He should be kicking up a fuss, but rightly or wrongly he doesn't, in public anyway.
When a manager goes toe-to-toe with the owners, they quickly find themselves out of a job. What happened to Rafa when he went against the owners, did it improve anything?
I would rather keep Klopp with a limited budget than have Klopp walk and then get a new manager with a limited budget.

When a manager goes toe-to-toe with the owners, they quickly find themselves out of a job. What happened to Rafa when he went against the owners, did it improve anything?
I would rather keep Klopp with a limited budget than have Klopp walk and then get a new manager with a limited budget.

If you keep Klopp on a limited budget for much longer, I'm not sure he'll stick around, being repeatedly expected to punch above the weight of 5-6 clubs, who are consistently well outspending us.

Klopp is always going to back his players in the media. What did you expect him to do? Throw them to the wolves like Mourinho? Come on.

That said, I do believe he is partly culpable when it comes to keeping players past their sell by date... but he's operating in a framework that encourages him to do what he's been doing.

FSG should be the targets of our frustration. If this season blows up in our faces as a result of preventable issues, I'm officially in the FSG out camp.
Listen, I'm all for backing the players. I mean Klopp can sit in a press conference and sing that we've got the best midfield in the world for all I care.
But that doesn't mean that he can't sell all of them behind scenes.
Also, if he was encouraged to keep players then Henderson wouldn't be going anywhere.

It's all fucked, so it's hard to tell who's culpable in those instances. When we're clearly not going to spend a decent margin, I'm not sure you can really lay into Klopp when he makes decisions to keep players longer than we need to, we won the CL and the league and spent what? He's consistently refused to call out FSG directly, save the occasional dig, he'll always say one thing in interviews, it's not always a clear indication of the reality because he repeatedly acts with dignity and humility when it comes to his players and our owners. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I don't think you can put too much faith in the things Klopp says to keep the status quo. He should be kicking up a fuss, but rightly or wrongly he doesn't, in public anyway.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but after winning the CL Origi was valued at around £30 mill. Why didn't we sell?

Why didn't we sell Ox?
Why didn't we sell Keita?

I mean we're not talking about 20 year old players with a lot of promise. We bought Ox and Keita to make a difference. Spent almost £100 mill on both.
I can't say for certain that FSG isn't involved somehow, but more often than not, the money we bring in through transfers is often used to bring in new players.

Last edited:
@StevieM Mark is not part of the certifiable "loons" (btw Is it me, Moron and Donovan or is @binomial also in the club?) and he is pissed at how poorly player recruitment is.

Hindsight is 20/20 adn all that, but after winning the CL Origi was valued at around £30 mill. Why didn't we sell?

Why didn't we sell Ox?
Why didn't we sell Keita?

I mean we're not talking about 20 year old players with a lot of promise. We bought Ox and Keita to make a difference. Spent almost £100 mill on both.
I can't say for certain that FSG isn't involved somehow, but more often than not, the money we bring in through transfers is often used to bring in new players.

Not sure he was valued at 30m then, didn’y he sign a contract extension after CL win? At that point had he run his contract down or did he a year left? I can’t rem but not sure selling Origi fot 10m would have made much difference.

@StevieM Mark is not part of the certifiable "loons" (btw Is it me, Moron and Donovan or is @binomial also in the club?) and he is pissed at how poorly player recruitment is.

No I'm not part of any loon club or any club for that matter, and certainly not ones other people wanna falsify me as being part of......only club I belong to is my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom