• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barrett saying we've bid 32M for Alex Teixeira...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He suffered a massive decline in his late 20's and just wasn't the same player any more. The fact that he hit those numbers is more testament to how talented he was in the first place.

That was also part of my point. Even if Alex Teixeira decline after 3 years and some of his pace goes, quality players will be able to alter their game and still contribute.
Loads of players are still able to do produce without being dependent on pace.

If that applies to this player I dont know, but I dont think there is a window age wise that is set in stone.

That was also part of my point. Even if Alex Teixeira decline after 3 years and some of his pace goes, quality players will be able to alter their game and still contribute.

If that applies to this player I dont know, but I dont think there is a window age wise that is set in stone.

As talented as Texeira is, I dont think he is in the Ronaldinho bracket of talent where he can continue to perform at a decent level even during his decline.

What do you mean? Are you saying €40m would do it, which is about £30m? I think we should give them £20m plus Lucas and Alberto

I was hoping €35 million is the number Akhmetov is thinking, but judging by these Lucescu comments it's probably €40M. Which doesn't make sense, frankly, considering Willian and Douglas Costa were let go for 35 and 30M respectively. Player swaps are out of the question.

My worry is that he takes 6 months to settle, then let's say he has one good season for us and then starts declining at around 28, which is not at all unlikely for Brazilian attacking players as we've discussed. That's not even a pessimistic scenario (in which he doesn't settle at all), but a fairly realistic one.

Last edited:
I fucking love that. Our hardcore attack dog negotiators reckon they might be able to possibly NOT pay the exact opening asking price that the selling party offered

I can think of a few transfers where we must have paid OVER the initial asking price. This is a legitimate improvement.

As talented as Texeira is, I dont think he is in the Ronaldinho bracket of talent where he can continue to perform at a decent level even during his decline.

He obviously isnt, but wheter or not he cant contribute for more than 3 years nobody knows.

My worry is that he takes 6 months to settle, then let's say he has one good season for us and then starts declining at around 28, which is not at all unlikely.

Yes, that is a worry. An even bigger risk with the hefty fee we're paying.
That said its interesting to see that 3 of the players mentioned in this thread re decling were known for being notoriously poor in training and 1 had a career threatning knee injury.
Loads of ifs and buts, but if Alex Teixeira stays injury free then we might get more than 1 good season out of him.

The 30 mill fee makes it a gamble regardless though. Difficult signing to get behind 100%

I see the lad that Sunny said had decent contacts at the club, has tweeted that Ayre didnt travel alone to Florida. He went home but the others thats travelled are still there.

98 %

If this means we will be selling Allen to Swansea for £12 million or something double digit it will be a good transfer.

I would rather keep Allen and buy a top notch keeper.
Or maybe he's replacing Studge, who's off to the Hammers, apparently...

My worry is that he takes 6 months to settle, then let's say he has one good season for us and then starts declining at around 28, which is not at all unlikely for Brazilian attacking players as we've discussed. That's not even a pessimistic scenario (in which he doesn't settle at all), but a fairly realistic one.
Hes only just turned 26, meaning he'd turned 28 half way through in his second full season, so it's the one after that where he may start declining, and even if he does its not like he'll turn shit over night. Its not that big a concern for me, the big concern is the worst case scenario, in that he completely fails to adapt, something that's more likely at his age and could cause his resale value to plummet, thankfully from both of those youtube clips I've deemed he's good enough to adapt and be a star for us.

There's a lot of negativity in the house. *puts on whale song cd*

Lets try and be chilled and positive about this guys.

I'm not really that arsed about the cost. I tend to take a fairly pragmatic approach in that I reason it's not me paying it. It's FSG - Who can, after all, afford it. I suppose there is an element of looking like fuckwits if we overpay (like the Caroll debacle). If the player is any good I get over that pretty quickly. Seems like this player is pretty good. It looks like he'll improve us. Fucking sign him up.

I'm not really that arsed about the cost. I tend to take a fairly pragmatic approach in that I reason it's not me paying it. It's FSG - Who can, after all, afford it. I suppose there is an element of looking like fuckwits if we overpay (like the Caroll debacle). If the player is any good I get over that pretty quickly. Seems like this player is pretty good. It looks like he'll improve us. Fucking sign him up.
Yeh I'm of this persuasion too, we're fucking loaded as a club (anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise is wrong), why not splash that cash when we want someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom