• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barrett saying we've bid 32M for Alex Teixeira...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1% Ian Ayre negotiating with Ukranian's vs the corrupt twat from that wankfest of a club. I mean, come on.

I may be quiffing here but it's about time we had a black Brazilian (I don't count Allan yet). We've had Lucas and Aurelio probably the two whitest Brazilians ever, Coutinho who arrived looking like Ricky Parry's bastard child and Firmino who looks Asian. That's almost reason enough to sign him.

Nah, come on. Coutinho is a proper Brazilian. He's got the name and everything.

There is report in the telegraph this mornining, saying we value him at £24 million and shaktar want £37 million, so can see this one ending quickly.

I looked at some more videos of Teixeira, including a compilation of all his 26 goals this season and individual highlights of some Champions League games. Well, it's clear that despite being a nominal AM, he is Shaktar's de facto main striker and goalscorer this season. He is by far the team's leading scorer with 22 league goals, the next best scorer has 6; basically Teixeira alone scored almost as many goals this season as the rest of the team combined. Last season he had 22 goals in all competitions, the year before only 9. So it's his 2nd season in double-digits.

Teixeira usually starts just behind the lone striker, played either by a tall and slow Ukrainian striker called Gladkiy (he has 3 league goals; I know his style quite well from my days following Shakhtar, in all the highlights I watched I don't think I remember a single pass from Teixeira to Gladkiy or the other way around, it's like they are totally on different wavelengths) or 32-year-old Eduardo (yes, the one who played for Arsenal and Croatia). When Teixeira beats the offside trap and runs into space, there is usually no teammate in the near vicinity of him. It's also worth noting that Teixeira has very few assists – clearly his role in the team is to be the scorer, not creator.

He is the most valuable asset that's left in Shakhtar, Akhmetov knows now is time to sell, but he will not go lower than a nice round number he usually sets in his head as the minimum acceptable price. Willian was let go for €35M, I'm guessing Teixeira probably has the same price tag. And with our reputation for being suckers, he will probably try to get a couple million more if he can.

Is he worth this money? There are pros and cons here. The pros are that Teixeira's qualities of good pace, energy, quick thinking, and simple, efficient goalscoring are exactly what we most badly need to add to this team. Whether he starts on the wing or replaces Firmino as the striker, his job will be to make runs and score. Adding this missing ingredient right now will surely make the likes of Firmino and Coutinho much more effective as creators and might yet rescue something from this season.

The cons are that at 26 he has already probably reached his peak level of performance; in fact many Brazilian attackers start declining way before 30. So we will be spending serious money on essentially a short-term fix, albeit a badly needed one, when maybe part of this money could be invested in a potentially transformative long-term project like Sane. Also, the untimely hamstring injury (yes, it's been confirmed it's really hamstring) might be a bad omen. Personally, I'm on the fence for this one.

Last edited:
Now, I know as a club we do some of the most inept things, but flying back from America in the evening only to fly back out the following morning would be extra special.
Ian Ayre needs another 5K miles before January 31st to get 1K level membership with United Airlines

He's 18 months younger than Willian. But yeah spending that much money on a potentail short term fix is a worry.
If we get this transfer right though and we get 2-4 excellent years from him it will probably be worth it if he contributes to us getting back into the top 4.

I

He's 18 months younger than Willian. But yeah spending that much money on a potentail short term fix is a worry.
If we get this transfer right though and we get 2-4 excellent years from him it will probably be worth it if he contributes to us getting back into the top 4.

I

he's got 6 years plus left in him. chill the fuck out. live in the moment.

he's got 6 years plus left in him. chill the fuck out. live in the moment.
Yeh, we're always bemoaning the fact that we buy projects, yet when we buy a player in his prime, people are worried about his longevity. We need a player for this season and next, not 2020.

Naah. 3 good years tops.

But if he gets 45 goals in 3 years, and meshes well with the team, then I'd say it'd still be money well spent.

that's all we get from our top players anyway. cos we fucking sell them. if he's that good then he'll be more then useful for longer than three years anyway.

We only had four years of Torres (more like three thanks to him downing tools towards the end) and about three years (minus the suspensions) of Suarez, so if he comes and performs well for about that length of time, it's probably the most we can expect any way these days.

Report that I heard was that Klopp tapped his nose in an exaggerated fashion and winked at the press as he said this.

I'm refreshing this thread like a mad man despite the fact I'm a solid 6%, this isn't going to happen 🙁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom