• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Palace post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
A hard-fought and important win against spirited opposition and playing 3rd game in a week. Lots of food for thought: Mane's turn-around in form (if it sustains) will be key, our right side with Salah and Hendo (and Milner as a make-shift RB) created some really excellent interplay, Tsimikas is growing into his role, Konate's debut, Jota's (hopefully temporary) patch of bad form, Salah at the peak of his game...

As @King Binny pointed out, it's been a long time since our midfielders scored in 3 games in a row – Fabinho vs Leeds, Hendo against Milan and Keita today. Thiago also had a goal chalked off recently and you could also "credit" the 1st goal against Milan to Trent, who has been playing more like a winger than full-back this season. I'm sensing a bit of a shift with this team; midfielders and even defenders (like Matip) feel more license to be creative and contribute in attack, whether it's because now there is less pressure after the title win has been achieved or maybe players are just responding to playing in front of fans again. Whatever it is, it's good to see – our front 3 still supplies the bulk of the goals (10 out of 15 so far), but we're generally playing with more freedom and flexibility. Nowhere this is more evident than in the way Salah is trusting his teammates more and not taking it all upon himself to create something out of nothing. Good stuff!

Ratings (reposted from the match thread):
Alisson 7 – a couple of nervy moments, but also big saves and ballsy takes under pressure. There is no way we would have kept a clean sheet in this kind of game with some of the previous GKs at the club.​
Milner 7 – that's why he's invaluable. Late replacement for Trent, 95 minutes of Wilfried Zaha running at your 36-year-old legs – no problem. Added toughness and a necessary amount of shithousery, put in a few good crosses, extremely lucky to not get booked.​
Konate 6 – looked nervous and played within himself, as to be expected from someone thrown into a tough fixture on their debut. Still just about made the right decisions in key moments and grew into the game somewhat. It's a process.​
Van Dijk 6.5 – a couple of surprisingly shaky moments early on, but was able to regain control.​
Tsimikas 6.5 – very good attack-wise; almost replacing Trent as our chief creator from the wing. Plenty of small and not-so-small mistakes in defense, in another game that can cost us (pun not intended).​
Fabinho 6 – a quiet game for him after 2 MOTM performances in the week​
Thiago 6.5 – let's hope the injury is not too bad; his ability to weave the passing patterns in midfield and change tempo at will is increasingly important to our game. Needs to cut out the silly fouls.​
Hendo 7.5 – superb overall performance from the captain, so sharp in all of his decisions and combined with Salah and Milner superbly. Unlucky not to get at least an assist.​
Mane 7.5 – back to his best in overall play; looked quicker, sharper and even somehow younger than before. Took his goal well and set the record for most consecutive goals against the same opposition (9 in row vs Palace, I think).​
Jota 5.5 – somewhat improved in the 2nd half, but 1st half was awful, starting from failing to clear the ball in our penalty area in the first minute to his atrocious miss near the end of the half. Must be totally out of gas because that's the worst I've seen him play.​
Salah 8 MOTM – just a cut above the rest. Playing with clarity and confidence; outrageous touches to bring the ball down under pressure, great energy, helped out in defense, assist for Mane and a goal. We're watching a great footballer in action.​
Subs:​
Keita 6.5 – what a hit, son (lad), what a hit.​
Jones 6 – got lost on the LW, but more involved when moved back to the CM and it's the sequence of play he generated that led to the corner that led to Naby’s wondergoal.​
Origi 6 – had the Kop singing his name after a useful defensive clearance in added time.​
Klopp 7 – navigated a tricky game with some very uneven performances throughout the team due to tiredness and rotation. Took a calculated risk with the rotation in the back line and even though it looked like it could have backfired, it paid off in the end.​

Last edited:
For me it's quite easy to get carried away, the weather is still barmy, and early on we got wind. Already, we're seeing players getting injured and right now the back-ups are working but how are we going to be like in Jan?
Still haunted by what happened last season where we waited till the last day of the transfer window, by then we were well out of the league title race.
I'm not counting my eggs yet.

For me it's quite easy to get carried away, the weather is still barmy, and early on we got wind. Already, we're seeing players getting injured and right now the back-ups are working but how are we going to be like in Jan?
Still haunted by what happened last season where we waited till the last day of the transfer window, by then we were well out of the league title race.
I'm not counting my eggs yet.
Same here - the story is slightly leaning towards last season with the focus on midfield.

Becker -8
Milner - 7
Konate - 6
VVD - 7
The Greek - 7
Fabhino - 6
Thiago - 8
Henderson 7
Mane - 8
Salah - 8
Jota - 5

I thought the Spanish Lucas was fantastic first half apart from 2 silly tackles. That one on half time was Lucas-esque. It’s great seeing him getting into the box. Having fabs behind him is making him play like the player we wanted to see last season.

Wonder will Thiago be doing what he did last season, right about this time and disappear for 3 months.

Hopefully not, he seems to be getting into form.

I thought the Spanish Lucas was fantastic first half apart from 2 silly tackles. That one on half time was Lucas-esque. It’s great seeing him getting into the box. Having fabs behind him is making him play like the player we wanted to see last season.
Shame he didn’t put the header into the corner, would have been a cracking goal.
I didn’t mind his yellow at all, prevented a break. He’s an a genius on the ball. Fingers crossed he’s not injured.

I’m really loving how Henderson’s involvement in the right sided attacks is getting us to the byline, it’s very City and way more effective than countless aimless crosses.

You can see Virgil isn’t there yet, his face says he’s finding it tough in scenarios he used to breeze through.

Tsimikas has a great left foot.

Nobody else will get a look in?!? Virg Fab Ally might have something to say about that.

I know he gets most the goals but don’t forget 1 goal conceded in 5

A keeper won’t win it. A defensive midfielder won’t win it. Virgil isn’t winning us games right now. Mo is doing what Mo does best. Just because he’s doing it season after season shouldn’t detract from what he’s doing. He is phenomenal.

Salah 8 MOTM – just a cut above the rest. Playing with clarity and confidence; outrageous touches to bring the ball down under pressure, great energy, helped out in defense, assist for Mane and a goal. We're watching a great footballer in action.​

I can't believe I am saying this but he is playing better than his first season when he broke the premier league scoring record. I think he is going to deliver a season of performances which will be remembered for decades. We absolutely need to get him to sign that contract extension.

It's so nice to be back watching the team playing well, with enough of our parts working well to be swatting these teams aside with ease.

After last year, it's so lovely.

Yes interesting to see the development of the side with more forward runs from midfield and the cbs.

Looks like its a tactical tweak from Klopp rather than the players taking it on themselves to me.

A keeper won’t win it. A defensive midfielder won’t win it. Virgil isn’t winning us games right now. Mo is doing what Mo does best. Just because he’s doing it season after season shouldn’t detract from what he’s doing. He is phenomenal.
He is but people have short memories. If he goes in a barren spell people will complain about greed.

I can't believe I am saying this but he is playing better than his first season when he broke the premier league scoring record. I think he is going to deliver a season of performances which will be remembered for decades. We absolutely need to get him to sign that contract extension.
He’ll sign a big fat contract and turn to shit.

I've seen a few comments comparing his celebration to Cantona's.
Nabyladuis Ketiatus...Looks around the Colosseum..."ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED????!!!!!!!"
He’ll sign a big fat contract and turn to shit.
Ahh yes, you have selected: The path of Aubameyang and Ozil.

I think Salah is a cut above that behavior, I think he has that drive to be a legendary player.

I missed the game, downloaded and watched it afterwards. Have to agree with the Rurik ratings, I wasn't overly impressed by our defence.
We were lucky to keep a clean sheet. Not saying that Palace deserved to score, just saying that we could have conceded goals just like the ones we did against Milan and made it a whole lot more difficult.
I wasn't expecting seeing Klopp resting so many players. I thought he'd save the rotation for the league cup game.

Some random thoughts I had during the game:
- I don't know why Neco wasn't loaned out or sold. I personally don't think he's good enough and he's probably fourth choice behind Trent, Milner and Gomez.
- Everyone gets a rest but Fabinho? So why hasn't Klopp invested in a DM? Not saying Bissouma, but maybe a young up and coming player.
- Konate looked a bit shaky, but it's his first game.
- Mane had a really good game.
- I really hope Thiago is OK cause he makes our midfield tick and Henderson seems to love playing in a more advanced role.
- Alisson has been immense so far this season, made several key saves.
- How the fuck did Jota miss that chance?! I get the criticism, but look at his movement and his runs. He pops up in the right place all the time it seems.
- Salah never ceases to amaze me. Just give him what he wants.
- I'm saying it, I think Tsimikas crosses are more dangerous than Robbos.
- Finally, what a hit by Naby!!!

Last edited:
It's so great being able to win games on shitty set pieces again.

That is something we missed sorely last year. And something we had in our title-winning season. Largely because Virgil (and Matip) wasn't there any more. And teams could give us 100 corners and shitty fouls in/around box with no consequences last year.

If you notice, all 3 goals yesterday came from having Virg as a presence in the box.

The first, Salah runs off the back of him (and gets a header in).
The second, he gets the flick on for Mo to score unmarked at the back post.
The third, GK comes to a punch a ball that's aimed at Virgil, and Keita volleys in the rebound.

Just having him in the box creates again creates danger and puts the focus on him, so others can score.

How many goals from set pieces (directly/2nd phase) have we scored now?

1 vs Norwich
1 vs Chelsea (led to pen)
1 vs Leeds
1 vs AC Milan
3 vs Palace.

That's 7 goals from a total 15. (47% of our goals). Huge.

That means we can actually benefit again from having all that pressure we build in and around the box, where we got countless fouls and set pieces last year, which I never felt we were going to score from.

That is something we missed sorely last year. And something we had in our title-winning season. Largely because Virgil (and Matip) wasn't there any more. And teams could give us 100 corners and shitty fouls in/around box with no consequences last year.

If you notice, all 3 goals yesterday came from having Virg as a presence in the box.

The third, GK comes to a punch a ball that's aimed at Virgil, and Keita volleys in the rebound.

Just having him in the box creates again creates danger and puts the focus on him, so others can score.

1 vs Norwich
1 vs Leeds
1 vs AC Milan
3 vs Palace.

That means we can actually benefit again from having all that pressure we build in and around the box, where we got countless fouls and set pieces last year, which I never felt we were going to score from.
Couldn't agree more.

He's scoring for us, even when he isn't.

1 vs Norwich
1 vs Leeds
1 vs AC Milan
3 vs Palace.

I’m surprised Virg wasn’t rated higher because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom