• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Adam banana

Prefix for Poll Threads

Banana or Lallana?

• Banana

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Lallana

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of people like him because he looks very stylish and elegant on the ball. I think it was Billy Beane who first stated that scouts and spectators overrate players who look good physically (tall, blond) or who play the game more stylishly with flamboyance. Exactly the type of player moneyball warns us about.
That's a whole different ball game.

For me it isn't about the fee, it is about his inability to move the ball quickly. He is technically very good he just lacks belief and thinks that if every touch is a flick or a turn and he has loads of the ball then he must be good.

As long as he is on the bench and only starts the shit games I'll be happy.

If we're going to do comparisons, I'd say the Barmby one is the most apt, I said that a while ago.

Barmby is also a good comparison, but again highlights the same point - good player, but just not the kind of game-changer you expect from 25 million.

Barmby is an interesting one, coz when we bought him for 6m that defo put him in the top 5 most expensive players we ever bought. I think we'd spent 10 and 8 on Heskey and Hamann the season before but then I can only think of Collymore and maybe Saunders who'd have been more than him, but I forget how much he was.

Barmby is an interesting one, coz when we bought him for 6m that defo put him in the top 5 most expensive players we ever bought. I think we'd spent 10 and 8 on Heskey and Hamann the season before but then I can only think of Collymore and maybe Saunders who'd have been more than him, but I forget how much he was.

I seem to remember Barmby was on some mental contract too, like £55k a week or something.

God that sounds steep even now.

Fucking hell, I didn't know that. Just looked Saunders up... 2.9m... so Barmby at the time was the 4th most expensive Liverpool player ever.

Lordy

My point - rather crudely made - is transfer fees are open to so many variables - not least inflation - that they really are reflective of very little. In my ill-informed opinion, anyway.

I seem to remember Barmby was on some mental contract too, like £55k a week or something.

God that sounds steep even now.

Well, as the great Sage of Soccer, Clarke Carlisle said recently, ''A lot of players just do not know what it takes to do a normal grand-a-week kind of job". So they need the extra cash. Luckily, with all the rest of us proles earning at least a grand a week, we can subsidise them by buying tickets every week.

I think Saunders was 5 but that was loads at the time.

Remember Barmby's goal against the Blueshite at Anfield. Lovely.

I still remember the splurge we went on in 1991, it was the first season I properly remember from start to finish.

Saunders 2.9m
Wright 2.2m
Walters 1.3m

Mega spending that was, back then.

I think Rob Jones came in a few weeks into the season, debut at Old Trafford in a goalless draw. I think he was £200k or so.

Looking at the transfers of Mark Wright and Dean Saunders, both a national record fee.
Derby finished bottom of the table in 90/91 and we bought two of their best players in an attempt to win the league again. For big money.

Fast forward 24 years and its.... Been the same approach for nearly all those years. Quick learners we are.

Looking at the transfers of Mark Wright and Dean Saunders, both a national record fee.
Derby finished bottom of the table in 90/91 and we bought two of their best players in an attempt to win the league again. For big money.

Fast forward 24 years and its.... Been the same approach for nearly all those years. Quick learners we are.

Jesus, never knew that. Explains a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom