• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You know what..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's frustrating that the pre-season will be undermined by players taking a break after the Euros, and another one of Ayre's idiotic tours, because you'd ideally want to give Klopp loads of time and leave him to it. But I agree it's been an amazing coup to get a manager who's not just a top coach but also a personality who seems made for us.

I think we need consistency. Not only as a team but individually. I mean look at our current players. How many of our regular starters would you say performs at a good to very good standard consistently?

Two players, Clyne and Skrtel in my opinion.

The rest are more often than not average most of the time.

I'm not sure why there's always a need here for people to insult the King.

Bottom line, is we seem to have finally landed a world class manager who has built a team capable of consistently challenging (with all due respect to Ged and Raf, I don't remember either of them having before landing with us), something we've needed desperately since the 1990s.

Here's hoping he replicates the magic he created at Dortmund.

Most fans on here are just happy that we've been fairly lucky with managers, in that they've all brought some level of success (Hodgson aside). We might not have won the league, but over the last 25 years we've still won cups, had fleeting moments of brilliance in the league and Europe and have usually been there or thereabouts around the top four, give or take the odd hiccup. We all want to win the league, but to show a bit of perspective have a look at how many finals we've been involved in since the turn of the century (for example), that's been testament to the managers we've had. They may not have been the very best to bring home the holy grail, but Houllier, Rafa and Rodgers came pretty damn close, while others continued our tradition of winning domestic cups. We need to do alot better, but it hasn't been awful either.

Klopp is beginning to make his mark on the team, it's been an up and down season, but we're getting there, long may it continue. We play some wonderful stuff at times that's pretty breathtaking when at it's very best, hopefully when he adds a couple of players we'll add the consistency we've been lacking.

He needs to bring in more solid 7/8 out of 10 performance per week players.

We have some talented individuals (show ponies) who on their day can either look world beaters or mid table.

Add in a few decent defenders, a passing hardworking midfielder or 2 with a touch of class and a decent keeper and we can start to believe maybe just a little.....

We will definitely need to find another Striker of top class at some point aswell though.....

A goalkeeper of the ilk of De Gea would make a massive difference. It's not going to fix everything but the confidence it would give to the team in general and the defence in particular would be huge. It wouldn't make Moreno and Sakho great defenders but Sakho in particular often looks like he's shitting his pants nervous.

If you believe the stat that Ming has cost us 15 points this season ( I do ! ) a decent keeper could have had us 1 pt behind Leicester with a game in hand! It surely has to be number one priority in the summer. I don't think we need much to get into the top four next year except non qualification for the Europa league - one more cb, a top class keeper a top cm and a striker. Should be achievable with our likely transfer budget although you have to hope our transfer committee are not picking!

Has mig actually cost us that many points this season ?

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I think we can attribute at least 10 points lost to him:

-- West Brom at home, equalizer, 2 points
-- Palace at home, winning goal, 1 point
-- Norwich at home, equalizer, 2 points
-- Man Utd at home, winning goal, 1 point
-- Sunderland away, 1st goal that led to our collapse and eventual draw, 2 points
-- Arsenal at home, 1st and 2nd goals after we'd taken the lead twice, 2 points

Interesting how most of his fuck ups are at home, i.e. maybe he shouldn't be playing at Anfield.

If you want a Xabi type of player that is a realistic signing why not sign Xabi? We would get an excellent Captain and he is still a very good player. I have already said that Buffon is the keeper we should sign. He is still one of the best keepers in the world and available on a free transfer in the summer.

He signed a new contract with Bayern a couple of months ago.

A more interesting stat would be how that differs to different keepers in the league, because almost every keeper will make mistakes somewhere along the way. It's also worth remembering he's saved us a fair few points at times too

A more interesting stat would be how that differs to different keepers in the league, because almost every keeper will make mistakes somewhere along the way. It's also worth remembering he's saved us a fair few points at times too

Well how many blunders has De Gea made that have cost scum for example? I can think of one but I'm not sure it cost them points. Ming has made so many and it has cost us. You expect your keeper to make saves and save points, isn't that their purpose?

The fact is if we have this numpty in goal next season we are at a massive disadvantage before we even start, because you know the cock ups will just keep coming.

A 10 second search showed me this , it's from Jan so granted its 8 games or so out of date but yeah , it hardly looks like mig cost us the world in the first half of the season
Errors leading to goals - Premier League
Player Team Errors leading to goals
John Ruddy Norwich 3
Artur Boruc Bournemouth 3
Hugo Lloris Tottenham 2
Simon Mignolet Liverpool 2
Costel Pantilimon Sunderland 2
Lukasz Fabianski Swansea 2
David de Gea Man Utd 1
Joe Hart Man City 1
Petr Cech Arsenal 1
Brad Guzan Aston Villa 1
Heurelho Gomes Watford 1
Rob Elliot Newcastle 1
Boaz Myhill West Brom 1
Jack Butland Stoke City1

The fact is you're looking at the "stat" that he cost of 15 points last season and using it to assume that we'll be 15points better off next season with a new goalkeeper. That's just dumb. However comparing him against other keepers, or even better, against a keeper we've been linked with, actually might give us some useful stats.

It's also worth remembering that despite him being shite, sometimes he's an outstanding shotstopper, and would have saved a lot of shots other less error prone keepers wouldn't have. You have to bear this in mind because you'll probably find your magical 15points slowly becomes closers to 5 all things considered.

It's not that I don't want to replace him, it's fast becoming essential that we do, I'm just fed up of all this hyperbole.

And yes I know we'd have done much better with De Gea in goal, but we'd also have done much better with Aguero up front.
Well how many blunders has De Gea made that have cost scum for example? I can think of one but I'm not sure it cost them points. Ming has made so many and it has cost us. You expect your keeper to make saves and save points, isn't that their purpose?

The fact is if we have this numpty in goal next season we are at a massive disadvantage before we even start, because you know the cock ups will just keep coming.

The fact is you're looking at the "stat" that he cost of 15 points last season and using it to assume that we'll be 15points better off next season with a new goalkeeper. That's just dumb. However comparing him against other keepers, or even better, against a keeper we've been linked with, actually might give us some useful stats.

It's also worth remembering that despite him being shite, sometimes he's an outstanding shotstopper, and would have saved a lot of shots other less error prone keepers wouldn't have. You have to bear this in mind because you'll probably find your magical 15points slowly becomes closers to 5 all things considered.

It's not that I don't want to replace him, it's fast becoming essential that we do, I'm just fed up of all this hyperbole.

And yes I know we'd have done much better with De Gea in goal, but we'd also have done much better with Aguero up front.

It's not hyperbole though is it. Ming has cost us big time - fact, you must be able to acknowledge that Mystic. All premier league goalkeepers should be outstanding shotstoppers or else what are they there for? There cannot be any argument that we need better and if we had had better this season we would probably be comfortably embedded in the top four, especially as there are no great teams in the the league this season. If you monetise what he has cost us, champions league football, and therefore £40 to 50mil next season and the ability to attract top players it's obvious that it should become number one priority to change him. Giving him a new contract is inexplicable and despite the fact that he has improved, notably in his command of the area and willingness to come off his line, there will always be a blunder in him. Sadly I think he will be here next season as number one and may become Klopp's albatross.

Looking at the above I agree with them all except the man united game at home. So that's what 11 points? I also can't remember any games we won by one goal that he pulled it out of the bag for us. Assume a decent keeper might cost you maybe 5 points with mistakes in a season that's a massive difference. 6 extra points would have us in a very strong position to get top 4.

Who'd be a goalie?

You can't win even if you do.

I don't think it's that. Most people with a bit of sense know it's a very very difficult position and realise all keepers will make the odd mistake.

In Mignolet's case, it's just too far gone now really. We need better.

Hope he can continue this good mini run of form and end the season well, but we can't be relying on him as no1 next season. Not a chance.

be-like-jurgen.png

After seeing that united keeper save them time and time again i am convinced we could do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom