• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trouble in Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you put aside the anti-Spurs bias, you have to admit Pochettino has done a brilliant job at Spurs.

Yeah, but there is a clear media bias towards him and until he actually wins something, I'm reserving genuine praise and admiration.

Hopefully he never will and leaves for Real before we all have to start worshipping him like half of Fleet St already do.

I don't know about Pochettino, he's a fantastic manager at getting the best out of what he's got, but I have serious reservations about if he's able to move to the next level and win things. His sides lack identity for me, they're well drilled, and hard to score against, but they rely on one or two players to win them games, and they rarely tactically outclass their opponents. He's consistently a very good manager, but I doubt he'll ever be an excellent one.

This is also an interesting viewpoint, and has some merit, even if tactics are almost as overrated as managers.

If I don't win the league I will still be one of the greatest. Finishing second last year was one of my greatest achievements.

Maureen just now in his press conference

[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho says he will be "one of the greatest managers in the world" even if he does not win the Premier League at the club.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]United have lost two of their first three league games, their worst start to a season since 1992-93.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Defending his record, the 55-year-old said he was "the only manager to win titles in Italy, Spain and England".[/bcolor]
[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]He also said finishing second in the top flight last season was "one of his greatest achievements".[/bcolor]
[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]"I had great success last season and that's probably what you don't want to admit," the Portuguese added.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]"Two seasons ago we had a fantastic season because we won the Europa League. We won it because it was our level. We are the last team in England to win a European competition.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=rgb(255, 255, 255)]"I'm the only manager to win eight titles in Italy, Spain and England - not small titles - and my second place last season was one of my greatest achievements."[/bcolor]

The reason we lost at Wembley is because we lined up like mugs against Spurs, and Lovren had a shocker. At Anfield we were the far better side and they got lucky to scrape a point.

Hmm, I remember them dominating that game. Especially the second half.

[bcolor=#ffffff]Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho says he will be "one of the greatest managers in the world" even if he does not win the Premier League at the club.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#ffffff]United have lost two of their first three league games, their worst start to a season since 1992-93.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#ffffff]Defending his record, the 55-year-old said he was "the only manager to win titles in Italy, Spain and England".[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#ffffff]He also said finishing second in the top flight last season was "one of his greatest achievements".[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#ffffff]"I had great success last season and that's probably what you don't want to admit," the Portuguese added.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#ffffff]"Two seasons ago we had a fantastic season because we won the Europa League. We won it because it was our level. We are the last team in England to win a European competition.[/bcolor]
[bcolor=#ffffff]"I'm the only manager to win eight titles in Italy, Spain and England - not small titles - and my second place last season was one of my greatest achievements."[/bcolor]

There's no arguing that he has won a great many trophies, in different clubs and countries, but this monomania and constant reminders to "look at his CV" is a bit desperate and mad.

I don't think many United fans care how many titles he won at Inter or Chelsea or wherever, so it's hard for them to join in lauding and celebrating historical successes that had fuck all to do with them, and I don't think that many United fans will agree that last season was an amazing achievement either.

It's no coincidence that many of his previous clubs and their fans really don't like him at all, and the media are also tired of his shit.

He's gone totally loopy.

Also, Ancelottery has won loads of titles in those countries too.

He's a very "zero fucks" type of person, Carlo. And everyone loves him because he's generally polite, respectful and nice.

One could argue Mourinho's personality and ego is part of what has made him so successful, but that's a hefty price to pay for being hated by everyone.
Probably why he lives on his own in a hotel.

He's a very "zero fucks" type of person, Carlo. And everyone loves him because he's generally polite, respectful and nice.

One could argue Mourinho's personality and ego is part of what has made him so successful, but that's a hefty price to pay for being hated by everyone.

When we played Bayern Munich last pre season, we ended up in a Lebanese pub next to the park. Carlo lived in the penthouse above it. We were informed that everyone round there, all his neighbours hated the arrogant twat and they hoped he'd be sacked soon. Think he lasted another couple of weeks.

I don't get it when you hear these guys live in hotels. He's not some middle manager on secondment.

He's got basically unlimited money. Just rent a nice house somewhere. It's weird. He could probably even rent a friend to keep him company.

When we played Bayern Munich last pre season, we ended up in a Lebanese pub next to the park. Carlo lived in the penthouse above it. We were informed that everyone round there, all his neighbours hated the arrogant twat and they hoped he'd be sacked soon. Think he lasted another couple of weeks.

Oh, Carlo. I thought you were different!

Please don't say anything mean about Alan Hansen. My Mum has only just got over the fact that Cliff Richard might not be heterosexual, and this would destroy her.

I can see the merits of living in a massive suite in a five star hotel. It's when you hear he goes the same texmex restaurant over the road and gets ribs every night it starts sounding a bit Alan Partridge

I don't get it when you hear these guys live in hotels. He's not some middle manager on secondment.

He's got basically unlimited money. Just rent a nice house somewhere. It's weird. He could probably even rent a friend to keep him company.

Yeah, seems dead weird to me also, although I think someone on here did say that they could see the appeal...can't be sure what that appeal was, I lost interest.

Room service, maybe? Being able to sort of mingle at dinnertime and not be totally alone? A bit like Alan Partridge and his big plate.

All the other amenities; cleaning, making food, shopping, laundry can all be done with the right type of live-in maid/ cleaner.

Keeper - de gea / romero
LB - shaw / darmian / valencia
RB - young / dalot
Cb - lindelof / smalling / jones / bailly / rojo
Dm - herrera / fellaini / matic /fred
Am - pogba / perriera / Mctominay
Wide forward - martial / lingard / mata
Cf - rashford / sanchez / lukaku

It really isnt that imbalanced at all.
Its just not got as many quality players as you would expect.
They could play two decent teams but mourinho isnt getting a tune.

He plays an imbalanced team because he cant make players like Darmian, Rashford, Shaw, etc better in their actual positions.
Its always been a failing of his. He rarely improves a player. He just buys better ones.

He built this squad for half a billion (on top of the half billion the other two bellends spent) and he cant get them playing for shit.

De gea
Shaw
Bailly
Smalling
Dalot

Herrera
Matic
Pogba

Mata
Sanchez
Martial

Put that in a Pep or Klopps hands its a decent side that. Probably missing a great passer. But arent most teams
Only Matic is a true DM and Pogba & Perreira AMs (Mata too perhaps) but the other midfielders play mostly central. Mata isn't a wide player, he's been shoehorned into that role at United. Ditto Lingard who I rate.

Dalot is completely unproven, a young guy who hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet. Bailly had his 'Lovren's Spurs match' last time out, there are major doubts which is why Mourinho was going nuts trying to get another CB in.

Sanchez isn't a CF, Lukaku is. Lukaku scored a ton of goals as CF last season despite still being occasionally shite.

I think it's fair to say Mourinho still needs 3-4 players and to do a Klopp on Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Pogba and take them to the next level. Which he won't of course.

Last edited:
I thought he was pretty much chased out of Madrid. Doubt they'll want him back ..and theh gave him even less respect than the current lot over here.

Maybe Italy or psg cant be many more options for him in Europe
brendan was talking about Pochettino not Mourinho. Real after Spurs is probably the right call.

I don't know about Pochettino, he's a fantastic manager at getting the best out of what he's got, but I have serious reservations about if he's able to move to the next level and win things. His sides lack identity for me, they're well drilled, and hard to score against, but they rely on one or two players to win them games, and they rarely tactically outclass their opponents. He's consistently a very good manager, but I doubt he'll ever be an excellent one.
Sorry mate but you are seriously under-rating him and the way Spurs play.

Perhaps to a degree, Froggy, but to me the question "Where are his trophies?" is a legit one. If I were on the Real board I would be concerned at the way Tottenham bottled the title the year Leicester won it.

Only Matic is a true DM and Pogba & Perreira AMs (Mata too perhaps) but the other midfielders play mostly central. Mata isn't a wide player, he's been shoehorned into that role at United. Ditto Lingard who I rate.

Dalot is completely unproven, a young guy who hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet. Bailly had his 'Lovren's Spurs match' last time out, there are major doubts which is why Mourinho was going nuts trying to get another CB in.

Sanchez isn't a CF, Lukaku is. Lukaku scored a ton of goals as CF last season despite still being occasionally shite.

I think it's fair to say Mourinho still needs 3-4 players and to do a Klopp on Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Pogba and take them to the next level.
Thats like saying
Gomez isnt really a CB, Trent is a RM really, Firmino isnt a forward hes been shoehorned into that position, Wijnaldum is a DM etc etc.

But im sure you are delighted you bothered.

Perhaps to a degree, Froggy, but to me the question "Where are his trophies?" is a legit one. If I were on the Real board I would be concerned at the way Tottenham bottled the title the year Leicester won it.

Real's current manager is Lepetegui, whose biggest managerial club job was fucking Porto - which he was sacked from - and he's won nothing ever either.

And in the last 10 years, they've even let the likes of Pellegrini and Juande Ramos have a go.

I don't think Pochettino has much to worry about.

Real's current manager is Lepetegui, whose biggest managerial club job was fucking Porto - which he was sacked from - and he's won nothing ever either.

And in the last 10 years, they've even let the likes of Pellegrini and Juande Ramos have a go.

I don't think Pochettino has much to worry about.
‘Have a go’ hahaha

The year Leicester won it was the first season of Poch's tenure wasn't it ? And not the same team as now.

As to all the calls (for both Klopp and Pochettino) to win something, who are the favourites to win the PL, the FAC, the LC and the CL ? It's not us and it's not Spurs so both clubs could have very successful seasons and still not win anything and it wouldn't shouldn't be classified as failure.

Thats like saying
Gomez isnt really a CB, Trent is a RM really, Firmino isnt a forward hes been shoehorned into that position, Wijnaldum is a DM etc etc.

But im sure you are delighted you bothered.
Except that Gomez is a CB, Firmino is a forward and Trent is actually a RB and has only played RM once. Not sure I get your point. You say they have a balanced squad - I've just shown that IMO it's not as balanced as you believe it is.

Except that Gomez is a CB, Firmino is a forward and Trent is actually a RB and has only played RM once. Not sure I get your point. You say they have a balanced squad - I've just shown that IMO it's not as balanced as you believe it is.
Oh right. My point is that I dont give a fuck about yours.
Hope thats clearer.

Reactions: Raz
I sometimes wonder if Maureen is, in fact, very clever and this tendency to make the press conferences about him, rather than the team, is just about moving the spotlight, and hence the pressure, away from the players.

Then I remember that he is just an egotistical twat, who gives not a single fuck for Man Utd, except in respect of how he can use them to promote himself and his (imaginary) legacy.

But there are some on here who wanted him as our manager ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom