• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Donkey

I thought we had seasoned fans on this website. I’m hearing a lot of unearned optimism. He’s brutal lads. He’s never going to be reliable enough. Sell now while we can before he devalues further.

I dream of him coming good and us having one of the biggest cunts in the PL who also happens to be a goal machine.

I’m giving him a season under Slot before i write him off.

I dream of him coming good and us having one of the biggest cunts in the PL who also happens to be a goal machine.

I’m giving him a season under Slot before i write him off.
Same here - if you deep it for the years under Klopp - this was basically the formula:

Front Three - we give you the ball and you make things happen
Midfield - recycle the ball - give it to one of the front three, don't do any fancy shit, run like crazy and counter-press when ball is lost to recover.
DM - protect the defence by yourself
Defenders - give the ball to the midfield and over the top to the front three when you can.

Under Slot - less running and more organized attacks, front three part of the build - up with the midfield. Different tactics and approach to scoring goals. So it's more normal for someone like Darwin to be in that setup based on his national team and previous club teams. Also Midfielders can support more than they have ever done before and can display their abilities and talents.

I expect and want Nunez to stay.
  1. Statistically, he could not possibly hit the woodwork as often this year, even if he tried. Some are bound to go in, some are bound to go wide/over, but still more in the net.
  2. His movement creates space for others and we can expect our midfielders to be closer to the box and ready to fill those spaces.
  3. He always gives 110% and that energy does rub off on others.
  4. He is a good option on the left, where he has better end product than Diaz.
He will continue to spend time on the bench as well, but we have seen how he can change a game when he enters.

Would love it to work out and I was all for giving him patience but he’s not the brightest and he’s not a natural goal scorer.

Two seasons to prove himself was enough for me. He’s the modern day Djibril Cisse - fast and exciting but ultimately not enough quality.

Insanity on SCM is supporting the same limited players and expecting different results

He will be sold, but we got other fish to fry first.

The fish in question:

Nunez.png

The signing of Darwin Nunez from Benfica for an initial fee of £64million in June 2022 was largely driven by Klopp after the Uruguayan’s impressive performances against Liverpool in the Champions League.

As Klopp’s power and influence increased, did the club move away from their data-led model?

“Nunez played brilliantly against Liverpool and that has an effect on people,” Graham says. “It didn’t do him any harm in becoming a Liverpool player.

“The difficulty with Nunez was that he was a very different type of player to Firmino. My questions were: ‘Are we going to change our style or formation for him?’ Is he a good enough player that it might be worth making those changes?’. It was something we had resisted for many years.

“We went through the same data process for Nunez as with other players. I wanted to make sure that everyone knew what a big change it would be with Nunez. It was more, ‘Are we sure we’re going to make the best use of him?’.

“I talk in the book about classifying players to understand what their role is. It’s different to whether they are any good or not. We always had a list of ‘great players but not for Liverpool’. Defensive full-backs, target men, crossing wingers — we just didn’t play in that style. It was clear that Nunez was a No 9.

“I wouldn’t say that the data said no to Nunez. It’s more ‘if we sign this player we have to understand this is the role we’ve seen him be effective in and is there currently a slot for him in our squad?’.
And if you’re spending a large amount of money on a player then he has to start. The worst thing you can do is buy a squad player and spend money that could be out there on the pitch.”

I’m stunned we made the decision based on his performances against us. Now, that would be negligent and has shades of Christian Benteke all over again.

The signing of Darwin Nunez from Benfica for an initial fee of £64million in June 2022 was largely driven by Klopp after the Uruguayan’s impressive performances against Liverpool in the Champions League.

As Klopp’s power and influence increased, did the club move away from their data-led model?

“Nunez played brilliantly against Liverpool and that has an effect on people,” Graham says. “It didn’t do him any harm in becoming a Liverpool player.

“The difficulty with Nunez was that he was a very different type of player to Firmino. My questions were: ‘Are we going to change our style or formation for him?’ Is he a good enough player that it might be worth making those changes?’. It was something we had resisted for many years.

“We went through the same data process for Nunez as with other players. I wanted to make sure that everyone knew what a big change it would be with Nunez. It was more, ‘Are we sure we’re going to make the best use of him?’.

“I talk in the book about classifying players to understand what their role is. It’s different to whether they are any good or not. We always had a list of ‘great players but not for Liverpool’. Defensive full-backs, target men, crossing wingers — we just didn’t play in that style. It was clear that Nunez was a No 9.

“I wouldn’t say that the data said no to Nunez. It’s more ‘if we sign this player we have to understand this is the role we’ve seen him be effective in and is there currently a slot for him in our squad?’. And if you’re spending a large amount of money on a player then he has to start. The worst thing you can do is buy a squad player and spend money that could be out there on the pitch.”

Where’s that from - that sounds almost word-for-word what Graham said about Benteke & Rodgers.

Where’s that from - that sounds almost word-for-word what Graham said about Benteke & Rodgers.

Reading between the lines, the Data people didn't think Nunez as a good fit, and yes, Klopp was dominating the conversation too much on signings, rather than the Data. So, it makes you wonder is this why Diaz, Gapko, Nunez, are not at the same level as what came before.

Gordon didn't say it, but he implied it wasn't all harmonious towards the end and I suspect he was getting frustrated at increased subjectivity being allowed into the process. That and the lack of any real plan to integrate a record signing into the team.

Let's face it, we dropped from flawless recruitment to decent albeit muddled, and whilst that's good enough historically, against City it's just not enough.

We did bring Edwards back, and were desperate to do so, and we scoped out bringing Gordon back, so there is clearly an acknowledgement at the club that the processes and standards slipped.

The recruitment all changed when we signed Thiago.

He was the first time for 3-4 seasons we signed a player who had peaked, was on peak wages. Yes he was brilliant on paper. It looked like the first time we added a player to try and get one or two more seasons of success and then accept a possible big transition.

We are about to see that transition if / when the Mo, Virgil & Trent contracts all come to a conclusion.

Since that point we stopped making moves in the Virgil, Ali, Mo, Fabs, Mane, Gini, Robbo mold.

Hello, I’m Dr Graham. Look at me I got a book to sell …
Typical data analyst, he doesn’t say Nunez wasn’t a data approved signing but just not same as Bobby.

Maybe Klopp had to just make a decision and sign a forward because Mane was being sold and we are shite slow at times of making a required signing.

Anyway, for my next trick we are going to sell Left sided flexible Gomez for 35m and buy another generic english left footed CB for twice the money because data says so. I hope it works.

The recruitment all changed when we signed Thiago.

He was the first time for 3-4 seasons we signed a player who had peaked, was on peak wages. Yes he was brilliant on paper. It looked like the first time we added a player to try and get one or two more seasons of success and then accept a possible big transition.

We are about to see that transition if / when the Mo, Virgil & Trent contracts all come to a conclusion.

Since that point we stopped making moves in the Virgil, Ali, Mo, Fabs, Mane, Gini, Robbo mold.
Not sure I agree wholeheartedly with that analysis. Firstly only Virgil and Ali were already world class the others just fell in the 'good to very good players with potential' class.

We've continued that line but with less success - it happens, not every player we buy will turn into a world class player.

Thiago was a top top quality gamble that failed. If he'd stayed for we could maybe / probably have won more trophies. Up against City it was worth the gamble.

Van Dijk was very good not world class, he was unproven in terms of no champions league experience. Same goes with Ali, the move to us pushed them into the world lass bracket once they kicked on
Disagree. Hence the values and general feeling at the time. Opinions. However if they weren't then it just goes to emphasise the point that we rarely buy existing WC players.

Didn't VvD have CL experience at Celtic?

Back
Top Bottom