• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should I stay or should I go?

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
I know I know we don't know enough about Slot's preferences or requirements or even his formation (s) yet but ....

From what we know, or can surmise, who is likely to be bottom of the 'keep' list and dispensed with?

From Slot's comments on VdB I think he'll be our new CB. He's said nothing about FBs but I'd be surprised if there is no action on LB. Tsimikas surely at risk.

In attack it's clear Nunez and Gakpo are going nowhere. Mo. back and looks happy. Jota all quiet. All the chatter is about Diaz. If he goes then it's one in.

Midfield is the conundrum. I can't see any top player being allowed to leave so Mac and Szobo are safe. But I'm near certain there will be inbound transfer(s).
Bajcetic looks perfect for a Slot midfield. Endo kept as a squad player.

That leaves the likes of Jones, Elliott, Morton (assuming one of the inbound players is a 6 or DM) at most risk. They won't all be kept and I don't see them as Slot players. Am I wrong?

Gravenberch a weird one. Dutch so some affinity. However he doesn't look like a Slot player does he?

Doak, McConnell, Ramsey ... don't see the point. Sold? Loaned?

Kelleher & Philips gone for sure. Any others?

I haven't watched any videos or read any articles.

What are we saying comprises a Slot player?

I haven't watched any videos or read any articles.

What are we saying comprises a Slot player?
Rather than my summation I suggest you watch some videos or read some articles!

Stevie had a good precis recently and if I can assume to condense that (and others) into a couple of paragraphs : play out from the back, short sharp creative passing, numbers in attack. Aggressive tackling in midfield.
Wingers as providers not necessarily scorers. Attack minded 8/10 scoring midfielders. Midfielders aggressively protecting CBs.

Stevie or others will correct this over simplification.

Rather than my summation I suggest you watch some videos or read some articles!

Stevie had a good precis recently and if I can assume to condense that (and others) into a couple of paragraphs : play out from the back, short sharp creative passing, numbers in attack. Aggressive tackling in midfield.
Wingers as providers not necessarily scorers. Attack minded 8/10 scoring midfielders. Midfielders aggressively protecting CBs.

Stevie or others will correct this over simplification.

This sounds about right.

Formation is irrelevant - it’s fluid and the shsoecwill change between 433, 4231, 4141 or whatever depending on what we need.

Where I disagree with Froggie is the line about Jones, Elliot & Morton not being “Slot type players” - Morton we’ll have to see about as he’s been on loans for 2 years, but the other two absolutely are, because they can offer flexibility - drifting out wide, holding the centre and are both technically good.

The other point about a Slot team is that they’re asymmetrical - so when the right inverts the left stays wide to stretch and vice versa.

This is important because it means the LB will be expected to invert rather than the RB inverting “all the time”.

Also if you look at the attack trio on each side - FB, MF & Winger - Slit likes them to interchange - very similar to Klopp… one inverts into the box, one stays wide and one holds a deeper position.

He’ll still deploy a box midfield, but not always a FB inverting beside the DM.

He likes to flood what he calls the “hot zone” which is the space in front of the opposition box - so you could see Yrent getting in that space a lot with say Dom or Harvey drifting outside to let Salah invert.

Tsimikas is an interesting one - tge more I look at him, the more I think he’s actually more suited to a Slot team than wee Andy - so I’m interested to see how that pans out.

This sounds about right.

Formation is irrelevant - it’s fluid and the shsoecwill change between 433, 4231, 4141 or whatever depending on what we need.

Where I disagree with Froggie is the line about Jones, Elliot & Morton not being “Slot type players” - Morton we’ll have to see about as he’s been on loans for 2 years, but the other two absolutely are, because they can offer flexibility - drifting out wide, holding the centre and are both technically good.

The other point about a Slot team is that they’re asymmetrical - so when the right inverts the left stays wide to stretch and vice versa.

This is important because it means the LB will be expected to invert rather than the RB inverting “all the time”.

Also if you look at the attack trio on each side - FB, MF & Winger - Slit likes them to interchange - very similar to Klopp… one inverts into the box, one stays wide and one holds a deeper position.

He’ll still deploy a box midfield, but not always a FB inverting beside the DM.

He likes to flood what he calls the “hot zone” which is the space in front of the opposition box - so you could see Yrent getting in that space a lot with say Dom or Harvey drifting outside to let Salah invert.

Tsimikas is an interesting one - tge more I look at him, the more I think he’s actually more suited to a Slot team than wee Andy - so I’m interested to see how that pans out.
Thanks. Though I'm a little confused over who Shsoecwill is (and how to pronounce his name) - Slot's new assistant?

It will be interesting to see who Slot prefers in his starting midfield. I can see a shock departure from a non scoring player to accommodate a new starter - Jones top of that list.

Thanks. Though I'm a little confused over who Shsoecwill is (and how to pronounce his name) - Slot's new assistant?

It will be interesting to see who Slot prefers in his starting midfield. I can see a shock departure from a non scoring player to accommodate a new starter - Jones top of that list.

I don’t know mate - my fat fingers aren’t made for typing on an iPhone and I’ll be fucked if I’m proofreading this shit.

Lets got with “setup will” instead. 😜

Back
Top Bottom