• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sami Hyypia - Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

St.Benitez

Sami Hyypia - Thank you
Written by Paul Jones on May 20th, 2009
You are here: Home » Comment and Opinion » Sami Hyypia - Thank you

WHEN people talk about the greatest signings of all time, there’s one man’s name that often escapes discussion amidst the talk of the Eric Cantona’s and Francis Jeffers’ of this world; that man’s name is Sami Hyypia.

Sami Hyypia was snapped up from Willem II by Gerard Houllier for a bargain basement £2.5m in the summer of 1999. I’d never heard of him, and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who wondered who this unknown was when we were crying out for a commanding centre half in the aftermath of the Ruddock and Babb years. He made his debut at Sheffield Wednesday on the opening day of the 1999/2000 season and looked like a leggy newborn giraffe at first sight. Those initial thoughts were soon dispelled, as the past 10 years have proven him to be one of the greatest centre halves this club has ever seen, and one of the best signings we’ve ever made. He’s been that good.

In an age of foreign mercenaries and an era of bling and bentleys, Sami Hyypia has remained the ultimate professional throughout his stay; a shining light to all throughout his Liverpool career, and a brilliant role model for anyone coming into the game. He’s been a superb ambassador for the club, and would now class Liverpool the city as his second home. He’s integrated into the city and the city has engrained itself into the fabric of the Hyypia family forever. It’s just so refreshing to see in the days of modern mercenary football. Sami Hyypia is one of a kind; if only all others were made of the same stuff.

Sami formed a partnership with Stephane Henchoz that will never be forgotten. Those two played a massive part in the unbelievable 2000/2001 season that ended with a treble of League, FA and UEFA Cups, as well as a 4th place finish that took us back into the Champions League. It was a year that’ll live long in the memory, but one that has almost been erased from the memories after Istanbul. It was a glorious season to support Liverpool Football Club, with Sami Hyypia playing a key role in it all. I went to 64 of the 67 games that season, enjoying some of my greatest times following the club, and will always link that season with the rock solid partnership of Hyypia and Henchoz, as well as some of the greatest European trips of modern times. That pairing were the base upon which everything was built. Thank you.

During the run to Istanbul in 2004/2005, Sami Hyypia was an absolute giant at the back alongside Jamie Carragher. While Carragher quite rightly took all the plaudits for this efforts that season, Sami Hyypia quietly continued to deliver top class performances on the field with the minimum of fuss. Benitez brought in the experienced Pellegrino towards the end of that season on a free transfer, and it allowed Sami to sit out several league games in the build up to European fixtures. Pellegrino will never go down as one of the best signings ever made, but he allowed Hyypia to recuperate. The results are there for all to see in the shape of a 5th European Cup, with Sami Hyypia’s volley to open the scoring in the quarter final against Juventus a pivotal point in that European campaign.

He has been our best attacking threat from corners for a decade now, and he is going to be almost impossible to replace in that respect. He offered strength in the air at both ends of the pitch; scoring a few memorable goals throughout his career at Anfield.

The dogs were barking the season following that European Cup success. “His legs have goneâ€. “He’s finishedâ€. More than a few called Hyypia’s ability to operate at the top level into question, and a few performances around that time had me asking the same questions. How foolish.

3 to 4 years on and he’s still churning out top quality performances each and every time he is called upon. Most recently giving a faultless performance at Old Trafford in the centre of the defence, coming away as 4-1 victors. He can still do it at the top level. Maybe not playing twice a week, but with time to relax and recover between games, he’s still more than capable of marshalling a successful defence at the highest level.

Good luck with Leverkusen Sami. I’m sure you’ll have a brilliant final few years to your exemplary career, and thank you for everything. From the man that stepped into a shaky defence in the late 90’s and held that trio of trophies above your head in 2001, to the rock at the centre of a European Cup winning side in 2005.

Thank you Sami.

I hope he's made skipper for this weekends game.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=33635.msg871215#msg871215 date=1242817905]
2nd best defender we've ever had. my opinion of course.
[/quote]

Of course it's your opinion. You wrote it.

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=33635.msg871221#msg871221 date=1242818006]
Are you blind?
[/quote]

Ha Maybe (i assumed wrongly that that was about Stevie).

[quote author=leftpeg link=topic=33635.msg871231#msg871231 date=1242818236]
Sami Hyypia = all time great. Thanks for everything big man.
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^

THERE'S ONLY ONE SAMI HYYPIA
Paul Hassall 19 May 2009
Sami Hyypia signed for Liverpool 10 years ago this week. To mark the anniversary we've chronicled our fantastic number four's Anfield career in numbers.

25 was how old he was when he signed for the Reds in May, 1999.

42 was the amount of first-team appearances he made during his debut season

10 was the minute he volleyed home the opener in our sensational 2-1 win over Juventus back in 2005.

4 is the number on his back

12 was the number he wore during his debut season in the first team

5 goals is his best tally in a season

19 was his position in Sky Sports' list of top 50 Premier League Foreign Players

38 was his position in Liverpoolfc.tv's 100 Players that shook the Kop

97 Finland caps

5 international goals

7 Finnish Sports' Journalists Player of the Year Awards

2 Finnish Cup winners' medals

1 Finnish Sportsperson of the Year Awards

190,000 That's how many votes he amassed to make it into UEFA.com's team of the year for 2001. He also made it into the World team of the year

57 The number of consecutive European games he played every minute of from 20th of November 2001 to 21st of February 2006!

87 matches in a row from January 2000 to October 2001 without a booking

7 Finnish Football Association Player of the Year Awards

1 Premier League Player of the Month Award: November 1999

463 appearances for LFC

35 LFC goals

10 pieces of silverware with the Reds

10 years

1 Sami Hyypia

samihyypia_222976.png

Lovely, fitting, tribute from Paul Jones and some amazing stats from Paul Hassell. 87 games for a CB without a booking !

Legend.

Anfield is going to rock against Spurs.

Rafa Benitez (LFC Manager 2004 - Present)

He is a perfect professional. In every single training session and in every single game he gives 100 per cent for the team and he has been a fantastic servant to this club. He is always keen to help the youngsters and he sets them a really good example but he has also been very supportive of me and my staff since I first came to Liverpool. From my point of view, I have been really pleased to work with him and now I must wish him luck for the future.

Jamie Carragher (LFC Player 1996 - Present)

Everyone talks about foreign players like Zola, Henry and Bergkamp but they never look at Sami. In terms of consistency he's well up there with them, there's no doubt about it. Maybe he can't do something out of the blue every now and again but every week, for nine months of the season, Sami Hyypia is your man. He's definitely one of the best foreign players this country has ever seen.

Kenny Dalglish (LFC Player 1977 - 1990)

Sami has been an absolutely magnificent servant to this football club. He came in and showed his worth immediately. He was made captain of the club and even when the decision was taken to make a change and give the armband to Steven Gerrard, the dignity he showed was brilliant and reflected tremendously well on him as a person. To spend 10 years at the same club is a remarkable achievement, and even more so when that club is Liverpool and the demands to succeed year after year are exceptionally high. But Sami's performance levels have always been very, very high. When he first arrived people commented that he wasn't quick - but over the years he hasn't lost any of that pace because he didn't have too much to start with! He reads the game so well and has made a massive contribution - at both ends of the pitch - to Liverpool Football Club.

Sami is the shizzle! It is a shame he didn't win a league, but I suppose he has had a far better career than most in terms of honours and I am positive he wouldn't trade away a single minute of his time here. I hope Leverkusen pull their finger out next year and win something so Sami can add to his impressive medal haul.

Thank you Sami, YNWA.

It's all been said. Just wanted to add I agree with everything above.

What a player, what a professional, what a bloke. Come back soon Sami and start helping the next generation at LFC.

I'll certainly be casting an eye over Leverkusen next year to see how he gets on.

So many memories of Sami, Juventus being the obvious choice.

I may have man tears on Sunday when they start chanting his name from the Kop. The Legend that is Sami Hyypia, ultimate professional.

"Oh Sami Sami..."

[quote author=St.Benitez link=topic=33635.msg871288#msg871288 date=1242821732]
hyypia_sami_lfc_profile_2005.jpg

[/quote]

I MUST BREAK YOU.

Love Sami. Can he please train one of the remaining squad members to attack corners, and maybe even score from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom