• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rate summer transfer window?

bluebell

Well-Known
It will come as no surprise I think Hughes has done shit... He has not done anything in the way of sorting out contract extensions for our superstars. He has got a winger in but let's be honest he could pull a hernia by simply performing bowel movements.
I give transfer window 3/10

I believe this squad is good enough to secure a top-four finish again and push on from there once Slot has a clearer idea of what he needs. However, there could be major disruption next year, which we’re simply postponing. There will be no excuse for a ‘transitional’ year then, as we’ve failed to address the key issues in this transfer window.

Overall, it's a 3/10.

I really like Chiesa. His performances in Euro 2021 left a strong impression, and he’s the kind of 'opportunistic' signing we were promised. Almost everyone agrees he's worth the gamble. As for the goalkeeper and the Chelsea youth player, they’re long-term prospects. With hindsight, we might look back on this window more favourably, but right now, it doesn’t look great.

The lack of progress on the contract situation is baffling. The pursuit of Zubimendi was unfortunate—I don’t think there’s much blame to assign there. He gave every assurance and then backed out. Hughes wouldn’t have worked so hard on the deal without that commitment, but it is what it is. We haven’t strengthened the main area we identified at the start of the window. Now we’re left hoping Gravenberch can fill the gap. While his initial adaptation and progress have been encouraging, can we rely on a player learning on the job at this level? Can Morton or Nyoni step up and make a Bajcetic/Quansah-style impact on the first team? It’s not impossible, but it requires more optimism and hope than I’m comfortable with.

has the squad even improved? maybe but by shedding doak / clark / badger and whoever else it’s difficult to tell

still no dm

left back needs a shake imo, maybe cb too

Hard to say, really. I suspect a lot was due to Slot wanting to assess the squad and postponing judgements on a few players.

My main gripe about the squad is that they didn't really address the forward line. Well, I guess Chiesa looks like good cover for Salah, so there's that. But otherwise there seem to be a lot of unresolved questions.

Does the manager rate Nunez? If so, why isn't he starting? If not, why wasn't he sold? He's surely worth too much and on too much money to just be a sub.

Can we rely on Jota staying fit? Almost certainly not...

Is Diaz really good enough? Should he not just have been moved on?

Is Gakpo happy to just be a squad player?

Otherwise, I think CB looks fine and Gravenberch will probably do a decent job at 6.

4/10.

Isolating the 2 signings we've made with no strings attached to our circumstances, they're perfectly fine signings.....I'd go even further to say brilliant pair of signings....

but neither will help sort out our defensive problems for the season ahead & that was pretty much what our entire summer should've been built, thus judged on.

If Gomez and Morton are not sold or loaned out we then have depth to cope till Jan. Hughes job for me was to sort out VVDs, Salah's and Trent's contract either renew them or sell them. He has done neither and now all 3 will possibly leave for free. What a Donkey

I’m guessing we wanted to sort out the contract situations for all three but all three want to see what the new manager is like first.wouldn’t that be fairly normal in a situation where they are empowered?

VVD for sure, TAA for sure. Mo? He’s likely off?

It will come as no surprise I think Hughes has done shit... He has not done anything in the way of sorting out contract extensions for our superstars. He has got a winger in but let's be honest he could pull a hernia by simply performing bowel movements.
I give transfer window 3/10
You know jack shit about what is going on behind the scenes re. renewing contracts. The club could be pulling out all the stops but the players are the ones stalling until they are satisfied that this team will be challenging for trophies and that they will have a large part to play in that. If I was VvD, Mo or Trent then that would be my stance too.

You know jack shit about what is going on behind the scenes re. renewing contracts. The club could be pulling out all the stops but the players are the ones stalling until they are satisfied that this team will be challenging for trophies and that they will have a large part to play in that. If I was VvD, Mo or Trent then that would be my stance too.

I wasn't really going to comment because as you say, we know fuck all about what's going on... HOWEVER...

Given your example, if the players don't believe the team is good enough to win and want to see action from management before committing... and yet nothing is happening, can we really say that the club is pulling out all the stops?

Love the GK signing (1 pt), LOVE the Chiesa signing (2 pts), love the young lad from Chelsea (0 pts for the window rating).

The rest depends on how well you regard what we've got already and if you believe we're covered or not.

I'd have liked to see an upgrade on Tsimi and let the new LB battle it out with Robbo. But it isn't a priority with Gomez staying.

I happen to like our 5 CB options and it would have to have been some CB to dislodge Konate or Quansah. RB is well covered. So no window deduction re. defence for me.

Forward line : 6 good to great forwards. The strongest in the league and still we have whingers.

Midfield. This may or may not turn out to be the critical omission. A lot is now dependant on Gravy stepping up for at least until January. That said Macca, Szobo, Elliot, Gravy, Endo, Jones, Nyoni, McConnell & Morton shows strength in depth to cover injuries and 4 comps. I think we are missing one top class DM but it's too early to make that call. We'll know by Xmas.

A lot depends on Slot's tactics and how these players adapt to them - the signs are good however.

Window 6/10 (an 8/10 if we get Varela).

Love the GK signing (1 pt), LOVE the Chiesa signing (2 pts), love the young lad from Chelsea (0 pts for the window rating).

The rest depends on how well you regard what we've got already and if you believe we're covered or not.

I'd have liked to see an upgrade on Tsimi and let him battle it out with Robbo. But it isn't a priority with Gomez staying.

I happen to like our 5 CB options and it would have to have been some CB to dislodge Konate or Quansah. RB is well covered. So no window deduction re. defence for me.

Forward line : 6 good to great forwards. The strongest in the league and still we have whingers.

Midfield. This may or may not turn out to be the critical omission. A lot is now dependant on Gravy stepping up for at least until January. That said Macca, Szobo, Elliot, Gravy, Endo, Jones, Nyoni, McConnell & Morton shows strength in depth to cover injuries and 4 comps. I think we are missing one top class DM but it's too early to make that call. We'll know by Xmas.

A lot depends on Slot's tactics and how these players adapt to them - the signs are good however.

Good summary. Hats will be eaten if we sign Varela.

I wasn't really going to comment because as you say, we know fuck all about what's going on... HOWEVER...

Given your example, if the players don't believe the team is good enough to win and want to see action from management before committing... and yet nothing is happening, can we really say that the club is pulling out all the stops?
I'm guessing that it's an either/or situation, it depends on how much those renewals are going to cost us. Are the club going to load up with another CB? Change forwards when there may or may not be a market for those we're willing to sell? Bring in another RB? When those 3 are still here.

The midfield is likely the only position we were going to address this window (Chiesa aside) and it's unfortunate we haven't - but this team challenged on all fronts for much of last season and are now more integrated and the youngsters and last years arrivals more experienced so it is strong enough to challenge again. I didn't see the need for as much turnover as some of our more vocal posters - there's a lot to be said for stability. Hopefully Slot's tactics improve our defence because we'll always score goals.

I think many are overlooking a couple of key things.

1. We have a new manager who had a disrupted pre season due to the Euros/Copa America who didn't get more than about a week to assess the squad before deciding where he wants to make changes. He also needs time to see if current players can adapt to his systems.

2. This squad was title challenging last year, and bar some ridiculous margins (think Trent hitting crossbar, some other sitters like Diaz vs. City, Nunez x many) we would have been right up there at the end, but faded out on a wave of emotion and fighting too many fronts. Also our whole midfield 3 were new signings last year, they've all had a season to adjust to the PL and to Liverpool FC.

In short - stop being fucking fannies.

VVD came out couple weeks ago saying Hughes the fuckwit has not spoken to him. Until I know for sure he is making all effort to keep them there I am going to scold him.. Not that he cares or knows what some nobody thinks of him on a minor fringe forum

I think many are overlooking a couple of key things.

1. We have a new manager who had a disrupted pre season due to the Euros/Copa America who didn't get more than about a week to assess the squad before deciding where he wants to make changes. He also needs time to see if current players can adapt to his systems.

2. This squad was title challenging last year, and bar some ridiculous margins (think Trent hitting crossbar, some other sitters like Diaz vs. City, Nunez x many) we would have been right up there at the end, but faded out on a wave of emotion and fighting too many fronts. Also our whole midfield 3 were new signings last year, they've all had a season to adjust to the PL and to Liverpool FC.

In short - stop being fucking fannies.
The only fannies are those that think we have got enough this season to challenge, those same midfielders from last year fell apart coz they could ot hack it and as for Gravey as 6 !!!! Its a joke.

Windows been shite. It was almost universally agreed we needed some combinations of 1. A DM, 2. A CB. 3. A backup to mo. 4. An LB potentially

We've got a backup RW and a keeper.

This window should have been all about giving slot the best possible base to succeed. It feels (once again) FSG are using the smokescreen of analytics to hide the fact they're reluctant to spend. If slot does well, it's a damning indictment on fsg that he could have done better with better players in certain positions, or increased depth

I'd have liked to see an upgrade on Tsimi and let the new LB battle it out with Robbo. But it isn't a priority with Gomez staying.

I would have given him a 10/10 for just getting Varela, I really don't give a damn about the goalkeeper, or even Salah' backup as I think the combination of Elliot and Szobo there would have got us through, but I admit that it needed addressing as for too long Mo has been doing alone but nevertheless it was as a priority below the need for a an accomplished DM.

We ain’t getting Varela, was that even on today?
Give him 3 out of 10, contract issues is not all down to him but then lack of signings and ambition on that front would be some what a factor I assume.
Regarding lack of time this window due to Euros and Copa is no excuse, that’s every other summer and other clubs still signed players.

It's shite, but the way that I have to process the transfer inactivity is that perhaps the analytics are telling Edwards and Hughes a different story from the one we are all seeing.

Something like that it is statistically improbable for us to have back-to-back seasons with so many shite refereeing decisions going against us, compounded by clear cut misses from our forwards. To wit, just removing the poor ref decisions that went against us versus Spurs, City, and Arsenal - decisions that literally were the difference between winning and losing - maybe the data shows we have a league-winning team already.

If I'm wrong about the data - then I have to assume that FSG are the cunts that Moron and Bluebell claim them to be - okay with fourth and Champion's League qualification. Cos nothing about this window makes any sense otherwise.

4/10. I've got a higher net spent on LFC than FSG this summer.

We finally got cover for Salah. But didn't achieve that additional midfielder we needed.

Loaning out Stefan seems silly without that DM signing. We're basically gambling that Gravvy, Endo and Morton are good enough through the season. Can't say it can't happen, but we've got very limited evidence to support this gamble.

Simarly, we are gambling on the fitness of our 4 CBs. Again, past history doesn't support this gamble.

Does the manager rate Nunez? If so, why isn't he starting? If not, why wasn't he sold? He's surely worth too much and on too much money to just be a sub.

Can we rely on Jota staying fit? Almost certainly not...
Re: Nunez - Jota is really good competition and it could be that he has adapted faster to what Slot wants, so he is starting. He must rate Nunez enough to keep him and I think he will be used a lot, but I am usually wrong.

It's not at all baffling - it's completely logical from the players' standpoint.
Owen and Mcmanaman were treated as Judases, one for pushing for a move in the last year of his contract and the other for running it down.
VVD has said he wants to stay and all indications certainly until a few weeks ago, Hughes hadn't spoke to him.
A good SD would have either contract extended those that wanted to stay or sold them. You don't let a £130m asset like Trent walk out the door. When you have a self sustaining model, you don't give away freebies

Back
Top Bottom