• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Our Transfer Window so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

There's been a lot of boo boys about our dealings so far, which I feel is unjustified, anyway, I just read this, and thought it was spot on.

Liverpool transfer window report: Quiet satisfaction but Mkhitaryan remains the one that got away

2 Aug 2013 09:15
David Maddock assesses Brendan Rodgers' transfer dealings so far this summer and believes Luis Suarez could still remain at Anfield next season
Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-Shakhtar-Donetsk-1932853.jpg

Missing link? Henrikh Mkhitaryan could have added goals from midfield
PA
It's always hard to offer an assessment on a work half finished, but Liverpool can be quietly satisfied with their summer so far, even if they are still ruing the one that got away.
Brendan Rodgers displayed the bold approach every Reds fan is yearning for from their manager when he struck early and hard in the transfer market, with four signings before anyone could say Ibiza here I come.
More of those later though, because even if the new guys have all already hinted at good things to come when the season gets underway, it is still the signing that didn't happen which could impact most on Rodgers' plans going forward.
It came as a surprise to many people the Liverpool boss was prepared to spend upwards of £20m on an Armenian midfielder few British football fans had heard of. Yet Henrikh Mkhitaryan is no Eastern European nobody, as the scramble for his signature - eventually won by Dortmund - ultimately illustrated.
Rodgers wants more goals from midfield. He sees skipper Steven Gerrard - another hugely influential signing when he agreed a new contract, incidentally - as holding more in the middle as the years advance, and his planning going forward revolves around a new face to provide a significant number of goals from behind the front three.
Mkhitaryan was that face, and there seem few alternatives right now, given his prolific figures and huge talent driving into the penalty area. Fed by the intelligent passing of Gerrard and Joe Allen, he could have been a revelation at Anfield.

Thailand-v-Liverpool-International-Friendly-2099118.jpg
Could remain: Luis Suarez will not necessarily leave this summer
Stanley Chou

Instead, Liverpool are left looking for an alternative who doesn't seem to be out there, which means they could easily go into the season without a central part of their planning.
Mind you, they could just as easily go into the season with an important ingredient in their tactical approach they probably thought WOULDN'T be there.
At this stage, the odds are moving towards Luis Suarez remaining at Liverpool, despite Arsenal's clinically strategic interest, and the player's obvious and pressing desire to leave.
The Gunners were clearly encouraged to make their bid of £40m plus a quid, after being told by his agent it would trigger a release clause allowing him to leave for that figure.
Clearly too, they are being encouraged by the same voices that Suarez will force the issue and get out of Anfield for that figure. Yet there comes a point when they have to ask themselves at Emirates, why hasn't it happened then?
Perhaps because Liverpool are correct in their 100 per cent conviction there ISN'T such a clause - and believe me, at Anfield they are supremely confident the clause merely obliges them to inform the player of any offer over £40m, not sell him at that price.
The fact Suarez has done nothing for almost two weeks since the bid came in suggests he realises that now too, so what other options does he have?
He can sit out and wait for an Arsenal bid that will persuade Liverpool to sell, but that could be as high as £55m, and I just don't see that happening. Likewise, he could wait for Real Madrid to firm up the interest they have quietly informed him of over the past months.
But if Real get Gareth Bale as now seems certain, then they may decide to wait a season to splash out on another marquee signing.

This-is-Liverpool-FC-2019364.jpg
Sensible signing: Simon Mignolet is a good addition to Liverpool's squad

That may be no bad thing for Suarez. As Steven Gerrard has suggested, he is a top player and really, if he leaves Liverpool he needs to step up to a side capable of winning the Champions League. Arsenal looks a sideways step that may prevent him for reaching that level, so perhaps another year at Anfield looks slightly more appealing to him now.
He could even operate in the role in front of the midfield Rodgers had penciled in for Mkhitaryan, so the plans for next season may well be salvaged by Liverpool's aggressive defence of their prize asset.
They probably need another centre half - and will certainly do so if Martin Skrtel gets his wish and leaves to resurrect a career that has faltered in the past 18 months - but otherwise they look in good shape.
Iago Aspas seems the perfect foil for the likes of the outrageously talented Philippe Coutinho, Suarez, Raheem Sterling and Daniel Sturridge, and Luis Alberto will add skill to an attacking group of players that looks potentially mesmerising.
Simon Mignolet too, is a good addition. He looked one of the Premier League's best keepers last season, and if you cut through the inevitable emotion surrounding the stalwart and impressive Liverpool servant Pepe Reina's departure, then it is a sensible signing.
I'm glad to see Reina has clarified his comments in a letter to fans following his move to Napoli, when he claimed not to know about the deal, nor to have been involved in the decision to leave, even though admitting to want to go Barcelona.
Logically, that can not be true, because not only does he share the same agent as Napoli manager Rafa Benitez - so must have known - he also retains the right to say no, which he didn't do...probably because Italy actually looks a good move for a player who maybe lost his edge a little over the past couple of seasons.
The fact is, it was a sound football decision made by Rodgers. I read somewhere it "wasn't the Liverpool Way" to offload Reina, but the opposite is palpably true - under the great Anfield managers it has always been the Liverpool Way to show no sentiment in replacing players, even if they are as important to the club's history as the great Spanish keeper.
So good luck Pepe, but the club moves on as always...a sentiment even Suarez would do well to remember.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-summer-transfers-henrikh-mkhitaryan-2116246#ixzz2ao8nEwGB

i think stevie could still do a good job as an attacking mid this season to be honest. and id like coutinho to play through the middle, so id be very happy if we got costa and didnt add to midfield, id like papa but i doubt it will happen unless skrtel goes, even then we'd probably get someone else instead, either way im pretty happy so far

i think stevie could still do a good job as an attacking mid this season to be honest. and id like coutinho to play through the middle, so id be very happy if we got costa and didnt add to midfield, id like papa but i doubt it will happen unless skrtel goes, even then we'd probably get someone else instead, either way im pretty happy so far

I just posted this in the Costa thread, but I really like this as our front four.

-------------Sturridge-------------
Suarez----Coutinho-----Costa

With Aspa, Sterling, Ibe and Borini in the squad, we'll have plenty of cover and options. We then have Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Allen, Alberto playing for two, or three in some cases, positions, I think we're looking very strong. Bring in Papa John, and we're looking brilliant in my book.

Best transfer window ever!!!! Just like the one when we signed Downing, Hendo and Adam.

I think I really want us to take a punt on Eriksen.

If Aspas can play right side AM - then add in Coutinho & and we've got a decent attacking line there.

I think I really want us to take a punt on Eriksen.

If Aspas can play right side AM - then add in Coutinho & and we've got a decent attacking line there.

You're fishing for like with KHL ...

Viktor Fischer is a much better signing imo.

20 odd days to go, and all we've done is:

Swapped Jonjo for Alberto.
Swapped Pepe for Mignolet.
Swapped Carra for Toure.
Added Aspas.

So basically gone younger/cut some wages, and added a good player in Aspas.

The two major problem areas in the side - CB and CM - are yet to be addressed.

The other two positions we could have strengthened (though not absolutely essential) - LB and AM - have also not been addressed.

I have a feeling we're going to end up being pretty disappointed this window.

There's no rational reason to feel that way considering Rodgers has pretty clearly said that we're looking to bring at least one, if not more first team players. If nothing materializes in the next two weeks or so I will start worrying, but until then I'm content.

20 odd days to go, and all we've done is:

Swapped Jonjo for Alberto.
Swapped Pepe for Mignolet.
Swapped Carra for Toure.
Added Aspas.

So basically gone younger/cut some wages, and added a good player in Aspas.

The two major problem areas in the side - CB and CM - are yet to be addressed.

The other two positions we could have strengthened (though not absolutely essential) - LB and AM - have also not been addressed.

Spot on. We've improved our squad slightly, but the teams above us are improving their first 11. Our midfield and defence our two major areas which aren't good enough at this moment.

Spot on. We've improved our squad slightly, but the teams above us are improving their first 11. Our midfield and defence our two major areas which aren't good enough at this moment.

Yaya Sanogo must be some monster in that case.

We're clearly looking to bring in a LB, attacker and probably a CB, we have no need for a CM. If we bring those three in, then we've had a fantastic window.

In a perfect world, we buy a good ball playing CB, who can play as a CDM in a pinch.

That's expecting a lot of course, but it's probably the smartest way to approach this if we're keeping Skrtel and Agger.

Gerrard said that we're bringing in one or two players

A good read...mentions 1 or 2 big name signings to come (defender/attacker)?

By Henry Winter
11:00PM BST 31 Jul 2013

comments.gif

Comment

Gerrard also wants Liverpool to invest heavily in a world-class defender and attacker. “This club needs to make one or two big signings if we are to compete for the top four – and keep Suárez.

He wants the club to make these (whoever the fuck they are) signings.
He thinks it would be a great idea (obviously).

He doesn't state that we are going to have these people (whoever the fuck they are) come in.

He wants the club to make these (whoever the fuck they are) signings.
He thinks it would be a great idea (obviously).

He doesn't state that we are going to have these people (whoever the fuck they are) come in.

"If we do I can assure everyone that we will compete. There might be one or two new faces to add to that as well (a bid has been made to Atletico Madrid for striker Diego Costa) - we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe I got it wrong.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-hoping-for-more-from-joe-allan-8745268.html

Yes, if we hold on to Suarez, buy a 1st team worthy CB, a decent LB and bring another classy attacker (hopefully not Diego Costa) I will say this has been a very successful window. So far it's been a marginal improvement:

Aspas >> Suso
Alberto > Shelvey
Mignolet ? Reina
Toure ≈ Carra

If we sell Suarez, it will be a step back no matter what we do.

I think there is much room for improvement within the squad we already have. For instance I think Allen will be better than last season, same goes for Lucas, and Gerrard will not spend first 6 months of the season looking for his old self like he did last year. Henderson will surely continue to improve. So each member of our central midfield should be better than last season and hopefully this will translate into having a better and stronger midfield and a more cohesive team overall.

In a perfect world, we buy a good ball playing CB, who can play as a CDM in a pinch.

That's expecting a lot of course, but it's probably the smartest way to approach this if we're keeping Skrtel and Agger.

Are there any Javi Martinez clones knocking about?

Young
Can play CB and CDM
Good on the Ball
Tall, Physical, Black
Beast on FIFA
Decent Price

It'll never happen, but he fills most of the criteria in the sort of player we're looking for.

Young
Can play CB and CDM
Good on the Ball
Tall, Physical, Black
Beast on FIFA
Decent Price

It'll never happen, but he fills most of the criteria in the sort of player we're looking for.

Are we linked Whirly?

Sign a good CB (Papa?) & attacking player (Costa is good, but I would love someone better if possible) and it's an excellent window. Especially considering Spurs will probably lose Bale (& get worse) and ARsenal haven't strengthened ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom