• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Of this 8th place squad, who needs to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be genuinely gutted if we let Carroll go.

Him playing in a side playing quick passing football will be great for him, provided we still cross the ball occasionally.

Moyes said the other day that Carroll is most dangerous with the ball at his feet, & he's right.

I honestly think this will bring out the best from that dimension of his play.

I'd be genuinely gutted if we let Carroll go.

Him playing in a side playing quick passing football will be great for him, provided we still cross the ball occasionally.

Moyes said the other day that Carroll is most dangerous with the ball at his feet, & he's right.

I honestly think this will bring out the best from that dimension of his play.
I don't see how you can say that. His movement off the ball isn't good, he's not good at finding space, very rarely takes up intelligent positions and has a poor first touch. Oh and i forgot he's slow. He thrives on balls in the box where he can destroy defenders.

I don't see how you can say that. His movement off the ball isn't good, he's not good at finding space, very rarely takes up intelligent positions and has a poor first touch. Oh and i forgot he's slow. He thrives on balls in the box where he can destroy defenders.

That was all true in the first half of the season. Towards the end of the season his touch got better & better. His touch at times made me gasp those immortal 'great touch for a big man' words, & he created space for himself using his strength.

The aerial balls he thrives off are deep crosses (like stevie sends in to him), not the quick whipped balls across the goal like downing plays. This is more suited to wingbacks, provided they can do it, as they are more likely to get into that position, whereas a winger will usually want to get near the box before supplying.

There's much more to thriving at pass and move than a good touch, though. In fact I'd say that's the least of his problems - the other ones being what Glen pointed out, movement, intelligence, acceleration.

I really really hope you're right, though, Foxy.

That was all true in the first half of the season. Towards the end of the season his touch got better & better. His touch at times made me gasp those immortal 'great touch for a big man' words, & he created space for himself using his strength.

The aerial balls he thrives off are deep crosses (like stevie sends in to him), not the quick whipped balls across the goal like downing plays. This is more suited to wingbacks, provided they can do it, as they are more likely to get into that position, whereas a winger will usually want to get near the box before supplying.

Well going by that zones system that BR likes to play, he doesn't like deep crosses but the fullbacks getting to the byline to whip in a cross. That's what i read anyway. yeah his first touch got better, but not great. I just prefer quicker strikers with great off the ball movement and who are clinical. Even when he gets into good positions he misses too many chances. We need a clinical finisher in the team and he's not it.

His intelligence it what worries me, he's shown little game intelligence (we all know real life intelligence & match intelligence are different). Movement got better when he wasn't doing weights every day & could get past players instead of tracking back ceaselessly.

Unless he gets blathered all summer again we should see him lean & fit at the start of next season, we'll know by Christmas whether I'm an idiotic optimist or whether the lad can fit in, that's for sure.

His intelligence it what worries me, he's shown little game intelligence (we all know real life intelligence & match intelligence are different). Movement got better when he wasn't doing weights every day & could get past players instead of tracking back ceaselessly.

Unless he gets blathered all summer again we should see him lean & fit at the start of next season, we'll know by Christmas whether I'm an idiotic optimist or whether the lad can fit in, that's for sure.
I truly hope you're right as i genuinely like the guy, just have my doubts over whether he can fit into our new style of play. Either way we still need to buy another striker as carroll and suarez isn't enough. That was one of the things that annoyed me last season. We knew we needed another striker but didn't get one in january.

Carroll's main issue for me is that he rarely attacks the ball in the box. Especially after holding it up and laying it off wide. He should be busting a gut to attack the six yard box. This not only gives him more chances to score near or far post, gives the man with the ball out wide more options and creates space by dragging defenders with him, it also means we might have a forward who can bundle the ball in from half a yard off any part of his anatomy. That would be an awesome sight.

I always confused his avatar for DJ Syd's, but i remember i liked Glen's better.

Strangely enough, the other one i liked was Ritchi's.

Bloody hell i don't even remember my avatar from those days. You have a great memory. You still on kt?

His intelligence is the main problem, he doesn't seem to have good anticipation or know where to move when off the ball. That's not something you really teach either, you can brush him up on it, but for most top players it comes naturally, it's instinct. He's all brute force in every sense of the word. Which is great in it's own way but not necessarily subtle enough to be a plan A.

As others have said before me and far more eloquently, I think it's a case of who we can get rid of rather than who we actually want to leave.
Say for arguments sake you wanted Carroll gone, which teams that could afford him would want him? Can you see him wanting a move down South? I'd say that the only realistic possibility of a sale would be back to Newcastle and they are well stocked for front men now and even if they weren't, they wouldn't be able to afford his wages or pay us anywhere near what we gave them. Even if we were to get 15m for him, which is doubtful, we would be subsidising his wages forever, so it seems sensible to keep him at the moment.
I think the 'easist' to move on would be Adam, I think there is a viable market at that level. A team like West Ham or QPR would probably pay his wages and give us 4m for him.
In an ideal world I'd want Downing gone and replaced with better, but as with Carroll, because of the wages we pay him it has significantly reduced the size of the sell on market.
I'd say we will probably keep Cole, not that I think he is any use and odds on we will sell Aquilani, but for nothing like what we actually want for him.
I like Aquilani as a player, in a 4-2-3-1 I think he has a role to play if you take away all defensive responsibilities and give him the advanced playmaker role.
I cant see this happening though as he would most likely want to be anywhere in Italy rather than here.
I think realistically the 'outs' will be Jones (if we can find anyone to take him), Aquilani, Pacheco and Spearing. And that's it. Spearing is a wholehearted lad with some ability, but I dont think he is good enough.
Adam is a possibility to be sold, but it remains to be seen whether BR likes him. If Sigurdsson comes, then you would have to think that Adam is the most likely to make way.
I cant see anyone wanting Henderson off us with the wages he is on, but he has youth on his side and has to improve on what we saw from him last season. I think BR might find an optimum role for him, but if the truth were told, I still wish we hadn't bought him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom