• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Of this 8th place squad, who needs to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnson actually scores goals.

A mighty 28 in 182 games.

He's just not very good. Performs well once in a blue moon then everyone lauds him as the next Ryan Giggs only for him to go back to being shit.

Then there's the off the field stuff, too fond of the nightclubs. Would be really against this signing if it happened.

Well, I don't know if he has lifestyle issues. If so that's certainly a consideration but I think a lot of those appearances you mention were as a substitute.

He's just not very good. Performs well once in a blue moon then everyone lauds him as the next Ryan Giggs only for him to go back to being shit.

Then there's the off the field stuff, too fond of the nightclubs. Would be really against this signing if it happened.

You do mean Adam Johnson and not Michael Johnson don't you mate?
I know Michael has 'lifestyle' issues.

Well, I don't know if he has lifestyle issues. If so that's certainly a consideration but I think a lot of those appearances you mention were as a substitute.

They were yeah but even still, it's not a healthy looking record for a winger.

Taking your point Gary, are you suggesting we should only buy a winger who has already fully developed into a high scoring attacker with a proven track record of goals and assists? I'm not saying that's a bad idea but they're harder to find, usually already belong to a big club (or are wanted by them) and are, as a consequence, quite pricey.

Johnson is a good player and given games he would become more consistent and score more. You can't really judge him negatively on the basis of how City treat him with that squad, they tend to go with a few forwards now aswell, so as a natural wide man he's struggled to get a look in.

Seriously. That is the exact same logic that made so many people wrong about Babel

He started 19 games and scored 7 goals last season. The season before started 26 scored 9.
From LM.
I think its crazy that anyone doesnt think hes a massive step up for us. Hes 24 and would be relatively cheap.
Id love him in our team.

Ok, he 'could'. Better? As oncy just pointed out, his record isn't exactly poor anyway.
A lot better.

I'm with Gerry on this one. Another gimp who can do a stepover that everyone raves about until he signs and proves to be the next N'Zogbia

Edit: To be fair he's better than N'Zogbia

Taking your point Gary, are you suggesting we should only buy a winger who has already fully developed into a high scoring attacker with a proven track record of goals and assists? I'm not saying that's a bad idea but they're harder to find, usually already belong to a big club (or are wanted by them) and are, as a consequence, quite pricey.

Not really man, i was just replying your point about Johnson's goalscoring abilities.

Of course you'd want to be signing players with impressive scoring and assisting records at previous clubs but it's not the be all and end all. Besides certain players can have a very productive tally of goals at one Club but not at another. Take, Torres for example, he wasn't exactly prolific before he joined us.

With Adam Johnson, i just don't see it. Appreciate some people might think he'd be a good signing as he does have skill and pace, just can't imagine him being a strong, consistent performer over the course of a season.

He has a pretty decent goal scoring record, but we have to remember that he was playing for a side that for the most of the season were pretty free scoring. Some of those came at a time where he made a decisive contribution, some of them simply completed routs. The final stat doesn't tell the whole story. In the same way it didn't when Babel finished the season with 10+ goals for us.

As for the player himself, he's arrogant and selfish. The reason he hasn't played so much at City isn't simply because they're overloaded with star forwards. There were times last season when they were crying out for width and the more established names were tired or struggling for form. He didn't play because he isn't trusted by Mancini. He doesn't play for the team.

Is he a step up from what we have now? Sure.

That doesn't mean as much as it should though because our options right now are fucking shit.

Carragher deserves to stay at the club in some capacity, I don't know why people keep posting about 'selling'. Will you be doing the same about Gerrard in a year or so? We'll get next to nothing anyway, he's doing his coaching badges, loves the club and has been here for YEARS.

Championship Manager Syndrome.

Carragher deserves to stay at the club in some capacity, I don't know why people keep posting about 'selling'. Will you be doing the same about Gerrard in a year or so? We'll get next to nothing anyway, he's doing his coaching badges, loves the club and has been here for YEARS.
I agree, move him from the playing to coaching staff.

In a non playing capacity, yes. Carragher's one of my favourite LFC players of all time but he's now a liability on the pitch.

Not even good enough as 4th choice imo.

Now that we've had the first pre-season friendly and a chance to see a few new faces albeit 45 minutes, have some players increased their chances of a first-team spot or onto the bench? or have some played their way out of your plans? Say you had a limit of 25 players next season, who would make the cut and who would make it into your first XI?

----------------------------------Reina--------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------Skrtel---------Agger----------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---Johnson--------------------------------------------Enrique----
--------------------------------Lucas----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------Gerrard------------Suso-----------------------
---------Borini---------------------------------Bellamy/Sterling-
-------------------------------Suarez----------------------------------

Subs:
Gulasi
B. Jones
-------------------
Ryan McLaughlin
Kelly
Coates
Jack Robinson
---------------------
Shelvey
Aquilani
Henderson
----------------------
Carroll
Morgan
Ibe
Pacheco

Didn't make the cut - Doni, Ward, Flanagan, Wisdom, Sama, Wilson, Carragher, Spearing, Adorjan, Coady, Adam, Downing, Joe Cole, Eccleston.

Irishred, I agree with about 95% of your post and therefore you get a like from me.
But I think you're a bit hasty to dismiss Adorjan and Wisdom both whom played in unfamiliar roles today.
Also, I'd have Aqua in the starting line up and Suso on the bench. He's still young and it's too early to just throw him into the deep end. Give him 20 mins per game fro starters. Maybe a starting role in the cup games.
Adam, and I hate to say this, looked good today so I think it's unfair to cut him, but I prefer possession football and I just don't think he's the right player for that.

25. Reina
32. Doni
42. Gulacsi

2. Johnson
3. Enrique
5. Agger
16. Coates
34. Kelly
37. Skrtel
38. Flanagan
49. Robinson
- McLaughlin

8. Gerrard
14. Henderson
21. Lucas
26. Adam
30. Suso
33. Shelvey
- Aquilani
- Adorjan
7. Suarez
9. Carroll
29. Borini
31. Sterling
39. Bellamy
- Morgan
- Pacheco
- J Cole
- Ibe

Irishred, I agree with about 95% of your post and therefore you get a like from me.
But I think you're a bit hasty to dismiss Adorjan and Wisdom both whom played in unfamiliar roles today.
Also, I'd have Aqua in the starting line up and Suso on the bench. He's still young and it's too early to just throw him into the deep end. Give him 20 mins per game fro starters. Maybe a starting role in the cup games.
Adam, and I hate to say this, looked good today so I think it's unfair to cut him, but I prefer possession football and I just don't think he's the right player for that.

I was kind of disappointed with Adorjan, I rated him for his attacking play but he seemed to catch Garcia-syndrome by losing the ball in dangerous positions in the middle of the park, against better opposition he would've been punished. I was only playing around with the squad, if hypothetically you could only register 25 players, who out of the 40 listed would you choose. Some of those on the 'didn't make the cut' list i'd like to keep aswell and monitor their progress in the reserves for another year for example Wisdom, Coady, Adorjan and then Sama and Wilson played surprisingly ok today also. But from our squad I think Kelly and Coates are better backup centre-backs. I think Shelvey and Adam have similar qualities in terms of their passing range but Shelvey has other attributes to his game too, I was very impressed with him when he came on in the second half. Just my gut feeling I don't think anything will phase Suso if he gets thrown in at the deep end, he seems like the type of young player with talent and personality that Rodgers was speaking about.

I'd probably give everyone a chance to prove themselves under the new regime.

I have a feeling Enrique could be our most improved player this year, if he can get into that tikka takka bollocks mind-set, it should see him releasing the ball earlier after 2 or 3 touches and moving into space, rather than running down a blind alley whilst the opposition use the time to get back and cover everyone else before he inevitably has to cut back to release the ball killing the momentum.

If we can get 7 million for downing and get cole off the wages, that would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom