• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Of this 8th place squad, who needs to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a question of who needs to go really (even though I'd happily shed one or two of them) but who needs to come in. You don't compete for leagues by chopping and changing your squad with 6 out, 6 in every year.

I'd keep the vast majority of that squad, but look to continually add 2 players of real REAL quality to if every time a transfer window opens up.

Exactly.

The truth of the matter is that squad is actually better than the position we finished in, under the new regime I fully expect some of the seasons disappointments to be much better than they showed last season - Downing could not be worse.
I agree with the real quality bit too, but we are short of cover up front and for that reason I would be quite happy to get Dempsey signed up.

Really Vlad? Is he not another average player on the back of a good season? For me, The trouble with Dempsey is that his technical side is a little lacking. I'd be concerned signing someone on one good season that ultimately doesn't have the flair to be a little more extraordinary a la Suarez.

Give Downing another season and then decide on whether we should ship him out or not.

It would be good to have a winger who doesn't look down at the ball when he's dribbling, only to look up and see he's run into a dead end.

Can't believe some of the players that are being mentioned here.
If you can acknowledge that Suarez is currently our best and most important player why the hell would you want us to buy Dempsey?
We should be looking to players who can relieve Suarez of some of his duties and improve him.
We need more technical players, better passers, more creativity.
There's IMO two spots open in the midfield, one behind the striker (in the hole) and one wing forward.
Now get two players who can add to Suarez game.

Can't believe some of the players that are being mentioned here.
If you can acknowledge that Suarez is currently our best and most important player why the hell would you want us to buy Dempsey?
We should be looking to players who can relieve Suarez of some of his duties and improve him.
We need more technical players, better passers, more creativity.
There's IMO two spots open in the midfield, one behind the striker (in the hole) and one wing forward.
Now get two players who can add to Suarez game.

If there's no money for transfers play:

------Lucas
Gerrard Aquilani
Cole-----------Suarez
-------Carroll

If there's cash:

------------Lucas
-----Gerrard Belhanda
Dos Santos-----------Suarez
-----------Carroll

Sorted.

Is this the same Dos Santos who Danny Rose,Nico Krancjar and Pavelyuchenko are ahead of in the Spurs pecking order?

Is this the same Dos Santos who Danny Rose,Nico Krancjar and Pavelyuchenko are ahead of in the Spurs pecking order?
Yes the same Dos Santos who helped Mehico beat Brazil a couple of days ago.

With my red hat on, i'd be bidding for Ben Arfa and fucking Downing off.

Downings a spanner and is only going to tighten your nuts next season......

Yes the same Dos Santos who helped Mehico beat Brazil a couple of days ago.
Dos Santos is a great Moneyball buy. He could completely take off. Or we could sell him on in 2 years for 2 mil less. I'd buy him. Don't let the naysayers get to you Modo. You've been banging on a bunch of players recently. You're gonna get a lot of vindication aren't you.

----------------------------------Reina-------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------Skrtel/Coates----Agger-------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
---Johnson--------------------------------------------Enrique----
--------------------------------Lucas---------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------Gerrard------------Suso----------------------
--Bellamy---------------------------------------------Sterling-----
-------------------------------Suarez---------------------------------

Subs:
Gulasi
-------------------
Kelly
Ryan McLaughlin
Coates
Wisdom
Jack Robinson
---------------------
Coady
Aquilani
Adorjan
Downing
----------------------
Carroll
Pacheco

Off ta feck - Brad Jones, Doni, Flanagan, Wilson, Carragher, Spearing, Adam, Henderson, Maxi, Joe Cole, Eccleston

I admire your faith in Sterling Irishred but I simply can't see him make the grade just yet. Especially not if we're aiming to get back in to the top 4 asap.

I was mainly trying to fit players into 'the system' and Raheem seemed the best option. I'm not Johnson's biggest fan but he would thrive in it and we should see the best of him next season. I think Brendan Rodgers likes Bellamy a lot aswell so providing he's injury-free he'll be used quite frequently.

It's not a question of who needs to go really (even though I'd happily shed one or two of them) but who needs to come in. You don't compete for leagues by chopping and changing your squad with 6 out, 6 in every year.

I'd keep the vast majority of that squad, but look to continually add 2 players of real REAL quality to if every time a transfer window opens up.

This...and it isn't rocket science. It's the most obvious thing to do. Especially when you are not going to make much by selling what you have, anyway!

I heard that we have to borrow 80mill to pay off the 30mill and have 50mill to spend, but Only once we've made 60mill in sales and bought 10mill in shirts
I heard that too, but from a real life person who doesn't post on any site (so he probably can't be trusted).

Selling Carroll for £15M at this moment in time would be borderline ludicrous in my opinion.

He's been showing form these past few months and certainly looks like he's on the up. He's still very young and has proved that he can score goals in the Premiership. The FA Cup final even proved that he can turn games around almost on his own. Could be a very vital player for us for Seasons to come.

Those wanting to get rid have you thought about whom to bring in instead? Just curious.

Agree. I'd rather see Adam gone and the usual suspects (Aquilani, Cole etc). Wilson and Spearing too maybe.
Adam has no engine. 60 minutes and he's done.
Downing is a curious one. If we'd had an Aldo type poacher his stats might have looked a lot better. Not sure he has the bottle for what we need.

Agreed. The problem for me with him is that, when he's having one of those games where the service isn't there and his touch has deserted him, he's easily isolated out the game by the opposition. I do think his football, his attitude, workrate and touch has got better though and I can understand why selling for half the cash so soon would be a bit ludicrous. We need another striker or two though and then he'll have a fight on his hands, but at least the option of putting a big brute up there will be just that, an 'option'.

I'd stick with Carroll. Even if we do move to a different style of play he offers different options. As much as I'd love us to start emulating the way Barca play (and to a lesser extent those horrible, trophyless, self-regarding twats at Arsenal) we've all seen what happens on the rare occasions it does not work. I really believe you need more than Plan A, even when you are as fantastic at passing teams to death as Barca.

I've personally not made my mind up about Downing either.

He did seem to get better as the Season came to a close so I'm probably leaning towards giving him another Season to prove his worth. He's got very decent pace and does have the ability to leave his marker. If set up right he could be industrious enough.

I'm not even sure about Adam either as he on his day has some marvellous attributes on display. Needs to find that form quickly however as I don't think he's got that many more months left to show his worth. There's something about him I like though.

How have people not made their minds up on Downing? He's been in this league for 10 years, and done nothing of extraordinary note. What's going to suddenly change? There isn't much making up of mind to do. He's an average PL winger with average ability, little bottle or ambition and a stupid face. I try to be objective about him, but every time I realise we paid 20 million for him, I find myself seething with anger. I haven't hated a Liverpool player so much in ages. I'm not really arsed about him getting too much value in return if we put him up for sale; I'd sell him for pretty much whatever we get. I really can't stand the guy playing for us.

I'd say the same about Aquilani, but he had a little more talent, and didn't stick around long enough for me to hate him the same way.

Out of that list i'd get rid of jones, carroll, maxi, hendersion, downing, spearing, d wilson, adam, doni, coady, eccleston, pacheco and cole and wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over it. All very average players who shouldn't be in a liverpool shirt IMO.

I've heard that we've got a swap deal on to get Yossi back in exchange for Joe Cole and in other news Danny Wilson is going back to Rangers and Gene just made that up.

This...and it isn't rocket science. It's the most obvious thing to do. Especially when you are not going to make much by selling what you have, anyway!

It's pretty difficult when 2 players of real quality cost about £40m, and we don't have that to spend. That kind of approach is fine if you've got a quality squad you just want to keep ticking over, but it's tough to rebuild like that, especially on a budget.

It's pretty difficult when 2 players of real quality cost about £40m, and we don't have that to spend. That kind of approach is fine if you've got a quality squad you just want to keep ticking over, but it's tough to rebuild like that, especially on a budget.

This where our great scouting network comes in, picking up future talent for a snip.

Dos Santos is a great Moneyball buy. He could completely take off. Or we could sell him on in 2 years for 2 mil less. I'd buy him. Don't let the naysayers get to you Modo. You've been banging on a bunch of players recently. You're gonna get a lot of vindication aren't you.
I'm 100% certain that he'll succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom