• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin Zubimendi

We're shit at the PR. it's not that hard either. Say nothing. Brief no one until the target signs on the dotted line, then you can scream it from the rooftops but don't go telling everyone prior to it happening and then looking stupid with your dick in your hands when they don't sign.

Just back from 2 weeks over there! We drove around and loved it (except the Algave - full of tourists, especially Brits - and some places were just like an exotic British resort - lots of loud music, full of lager louts and charging a fortune for average hotel rooms).
That’s the part we are going to visit. It’s a resort catered for the kids. The bar has Premier League footy so I’m sorted.

We're shit at the PR. it's not that hard either. Say nothing. Brief no one until the target signs on the dotted line, then you can scream it from the rooftops but don't go telling everyone prior to it happening and then looking stupid with your dick in your hands when they don't sign.
Absolutely this. Briefing journos that we have his word is a load of bullshit.

LIke it or not, the Klopp factor was massive pull for any prospective player. Not sure what was the issue in this particular case but we had loads to do and just surprised we resorted to leaving it this late. What we can't probably to do is being arrogant about focussing on one player to rule them all BS, we finished 3rd last season without CL. I'm sure Hughes and Co have been been busy this summer but at what I wonder.

Is it time for this yet?

1*2JiNs64R9GfhK7JkNfKjbA.jpeg

I think it may finally be time ...

the-sky-is-falling-for-fb-advertisers-not.jpg

I think it’s finally time!!

FSG loves this post
To clarify, I’m not saying we shouldn’t spend. I posted a couple of weeks ago that if we don’t spend we fall behind.
But we’ll have a list of targets, and inevitably our budget won’t stretch to all of them. Missing out on Zubimendi means there’s more money to go back in the pot. So we can, and we should, use the money saved to eliminate compromises elsewhere in our plans - that may mean we can pursue a first choice player in another position where we had previously planned to pursue a second choice due to budget constraints.
My point was we don’t need to go out and buy a second-choice 6 as we already have a really good alternative. Knee-jerking on a new 6 is unlikely to upgrade us very much.

To clarify, I’m not saying we shouldn’t spend. I posted a couple of weeks ago that if we don’t spend we fall behind.
But we’ll have a list of targets, and inevitably our budget won’t stretch to all of them. Missing out on Zubimendi means there’s more money to go back in the pot. So we can, and we should, use the money saved to eliminate compromises elsewhere in our plans - that may mean we can pursue a first choice player in another position where we had previously planned to pursue a second choice due to budget constraints.
My point was we don’t need to go out and buy a second-choice 6 as we already have a really good alternative. Knee-jerking on a new 6 is unlikely to upgrade us very much.

Respectfully disagree.

We have been chasing a 6 for three seasons so anyone we sign should not be a knee jerk by now.

We should clearly know who would for and who wouldn't, and have our targets lined up.

Sure. But there are priority positions also from a footballing perspective. It is not just about getting the best value deals. A six should be the most important.

Playing around with Gordon was also trying to make a good business deal, but in a position where we didn’t need anyone.
That is a value approach, not a football decision.

I don't know if they have a plan, but I have seen enough to assume that, but default, they do not.
Then you'd be wrong in that assumption. It's inconceivable Edwards and Hughes haven't got names for every position where we need them and a plan to get those we require. That doesn't mean they'll get them - that depends on negotiations.

That you're aware of. It's pretty knee-jerk to assume Edwards & Hughes don't have a plan.
So what is it then?

We’ve had absolutely nothing from them for 2 months, nada. Fans have remained patient only to be told there’s no one available to improve the squad? How fucking stupid do they take us for to believe this shit that’s blatantly untrue?

Six months ago, it was inconceivable that we'd be one week from the start of the season with no signings, but we've done it.

You can only judge someone on their track record and so far Hughes has failed almost every test.

We’re not in desperate need of signings, are we? At the beginning of summer, everyone thought Diaz and/or Salah would be off, Nunez might be sold, maybe Tsimikas and maybe even Trent as well. Now it looks like all the senior players are staying, so there is not quite the same urgency.

This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t invest in long-term squad planning, of course. There are positions we could improve. But I don’t think we’re in “Arthur on deadline day” situation this time. The squad is fairly balanced and has quality and potential to develop further.

I would be more comforted if, prior to this, Slot had stated he was comfortable with Endo. But they have publicly disparaged him. The hope now is Gravenberch who looks fine (for now) - but Slot hasn't had a lot of time to assess him.

There are still the following to deal with:

(1) VVD, TAA and Salah contracts
(2) VVD, TAA and Salah replacements
(3) LB
(4) CB
(5) Mamar?

None of them need to be addressed by next week but the fact that none of them have been resolved is cause for concern.

It means more panicked / stopgap signings soon.

We’re not in desperate need of signings, are we? At the beginning of summer, everyone thought Diaz and/or Salah would be off, Nunez might be sold, maybe Tsimikas and maybe even Trent as well. Now it looks like all the senior players are staying, so there is not quite the same urgency.

This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t invest in long-term squad planning, of course. There are positions we could improve. But I don’t think we’re in “Arthur on deadline day” situation this time. The squad is fairly balanced and has quality and potential to develop further.
Sure, but the reason we aren't being ruthless is because we are relatively tight.

People said klopp didn't sell players because of loyalty. I never bought that. We are just a little too passive to ever push on routinely. The same thing will happen with slot, and he'll be cool with it, as that was part of the interview.

There are all sorts of ways we can improve. They all have different priorities, sure, but we wait for them to be necessary and then we react to them, in some cases too late. While we are waiting, other problems arise.

It's why I have continued to bleat on about how we should have sold Salah, because we won't do enough to win with him anyway, so we may as well rebuild for later.

We are the Curtis Jones of football. All the vision, ability and swagger in the world... But so so so slow to make a decision.

I agree that it does make Hughes look bad - he needs to make at least some moves (big contract renewals & signings) quickly for this not to start becoming a bigger story or a stick to beat him with.

As for Endo, I’m not too worried - there are plenty of examples of clubs trying to offload a player, them digging their heels in and proving their club wrong. One thing about Endo we know for sure is that he’s a fighter - whatever “slight” he feels he will only use as motivation.

As for Endo, I’m not too worried - there are plenty of examples of clubs trying to offload a player, them digging their heels in and proving their club wrong. One thing about Endo we know for sure is that he’s a fighter - whatever “slight” he feels he will only use as motivation.

This is true. Slot's failure to endo.rse Endo was a bit disappointing for me, but he played really well v Las Palmas.

While others can't even emotionally detach themselves from the beaches and mountains despite all the flattery and promises, Endo jumped at the opportunity despite being 57 yrs old and knowing the pedigree of the competition here, in addition to the indignity of being paid less than Nat Philips. A real contrast in character.

I agree that it does make Hughes look bad - he needs to make at least some moves (big contract renewals & signings) quickly for this not to start becoming a bigger story or a stick to beat him with.

who's going to beat him though? The position of Liverpool SD seems to come with no pressure whatsoever. Just coast along and the club will have your back some how.

Back
Top Bottom