• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin Zubimendi

The whole assessing the squad thing doesn't add up, when two of the standout performers have been cast aside to Brentford and the 'b' squad. Elliott should be fucking livid after moving over to the returnees/fringe players team on Sunday.

2022 - Madrid
2023 - Money
2024 - Mountains

After breaking down the reasons for the club's failures in the last 3 years, I'll have to go with 2025 - Mum. So some Italian then
I’m made up we have missed out them already.

Can we turn this thread into the "which midfielder is rejecting us next summer" now?
FSG to offer 5m for Rodri in May and sit around waiting til September. Tell the fans Tyler Morton has all the qualities we need.

On the bright side, still plenty of time to make Kalvin Phillips our new, homegrown Arthur

I'm very sure Endo will make everyone eat their own words this season again. No doubt about it. Tiki-taka ? They eat that for breakfast in Japan.

The only concern is when he inevitably gets injured, which we have more than able cover.

Until we get the right 6 in, i say we wait patiently, and don't rush it.

Last season was the perfect example. Look how Caicedo and Lavia turned out. Some of us never learn.

Endo won't even be playing you melon.

I do think endo will have a lot less minutes than people think. Unless gravy is an irredeemable failure in the 6 position of course. Even then it might go to jones

Time to pack up lads… don’t pack everything fully away in the garage as I’m not buying this ‘no one else’ malarkey…given the absolute clusterfuck of the last week, Hughes et al will be super careful of any leaks around next moves / offers lest his reputation takes even more of a hit.

I think we’ll move for another 6, AG and a cb/lb but it’ll be a sudden announcement once the deal is sorted.

Why do we want a Trent replacement? He’s signing a new deal.

Anyway, move on from Zubimendi.

Time to pack up lads… don’t pack everything fully away in the garage as I’m not buying this ‘no one else’ malarkey…given the absolute clusterfuck of the last week, Hughes et al will be super careful of any leaks around next moves / offers lest his reputation takes even more of a hit.

I think we’ll move for another 6, AG and a cb/lb but it’ll be a sudden announcement once the deal is sorted.

I think our only other signing will be this GK who we are going to loan straight back out.

It is the third summer in a row that we have not been able to get a number 6 because we are fixated on certain players. I have said this before—we are so focused on the value of incoming players that we forget to assess the cost of not signing any player for a crucial position.

In the next two years, we may have to replace one or more of the greatest central defender, goalkeeper, attacker, and rightback who played for us in the last thirty years. Our passive approach does not make sense at all.
Hmm

Ali = Mamardashvili
Trent = Bradley (half the forum want him to replace TAA now)!
VvD = not urgent and we have 4-5 good CBs
Salah = yes we need a backup but it's tough to get someone in because if they are that good why come to sit on the bench? I've a feeling that it'll get done when he leaves and not before.

Contracts = all this moaning on SCM. I can understand none of those 3 wanting to sign until they see the way forward. I wouldn't renew if wasn't too keep my options open - big pay day too. So we can't exactly force them into a new contract and we have time since they are clearly staying for this season at least.

The timing of Klopp's decision to leave didn't give us any 'end of an era' leeway.

Hmm

Ali = Mamardashvili
Trent = Bradley (half the forum want him to replace TAA now)!
VvD = not urgent and we have 4-5 good CBs
Salah = yes we need a backup but it's tough to get someone in because if they are that good why come to sit on the bench? I've a feeling that it'll get done when he leaves.

Contracts = all this moaning on SCM. I can understand why none of those 3 wanting to sign until they see the way forward. I wouldn't renew if wasn't too keep my options open - big pay day too. So we can't exactly force them into a new contract and we have time since they Are clearly staying for this season at least.

The timing of Klopp's decision to leave didn't give us any 'end of an era' leeway.

Couldn't disagree more on the CB point.

We have 2 good CBs, but Konate is injury prone. Quansah looks like he will really take over from Konate this year but let's see. Gomez is not a good CB - and hasn't looked close to that in any game he's played at CB for about 4 years. He did some good work at both RB and LB last season, but that doesn't mean he should be considered a good CB.

Who else are you including in "4-5" ?

It's a massive gap. Injury to VVD and we're struggling. Another injury to Konate (guaranteed to miss at least 4 PL matches before end of Dec and we have no legitimate back up options to Quansah & VVD.

i don’t care about this player, we need a DM though and he has wasted a lot of time which is the big frustration.

the clubs inability to get what we need and their ability to get involved in embarrassing situations is getting ridiculous. let’s see how they react this time

I am not sure why it came as a surprise he rejected Bayern, so clearly silverware is not what attracts him. Our move forced his club to increase his salary.
I think Morton can grow into the role, so I wouldn't be too upset unless we started selling Morton. If Leipzig see something there, we should too.
Spend the money on a RW either Frimpong or Goncalves and LCB.

Gerrard to Chelsea vibes. From that chat online you get the feeling that the player was ready to move but was pressured to stay.

Anyways, as others have said, it's not missing out on the player that's the issue, it's the fact that once again the guys in charge seem to be sitting on their hands.

We have a decent squad but it's not balanced and there are clear deficiencies that we should have looked to improve upon..

Couldn't disagree more on the CB point.

We have 2 good CBs, but Konate is injury prone. Quansah looks like he will really take over from Konate this year but let's see. Gomez is not a good CB - and hasn't looked close to that in any game he's played at CB for about 4 years. He did some good work at both RB and LB last season, but that doesn't mean he should be considered a good CB.

Who else are you including in "4-5" ?

It's a massive gap. Injury to VVD and we're struggling. Another injury to Konate (guaranteed to miss at least 4 PL matches before end of Dec and we have no legitimate back up options to Quansah & VVD.
Firstly look at depth at any team (even City) and for CBs at 4 & 5 you're not going to find better than Gomez and Sepp (if we don't keep him we'll buy a replacement - until that time I'm assuming he stays). On quality our CB lineup is one of the best in the PL.

Secondly this is a Slot team now not a Klopp team. Whilst Klopp's teams have historically had a lot of injuries, Slot's haven't. I'm optimistic we'll revert to the PL mean now. Training and style of play obviously have a major impact on injuries.

Whilst disaster planning is a necessity for any company no company can afford to have everything and everyone backed up with like for like and in the footballing world if you are 4th or 5th choice you are usually young or old. Ours are better than that!

Gerrard to Chelsea vibes. From that chat online you get the feeling that the player was ready to move but was pressured to stay.

Anyways, as others have said, it's not missing out on the player that's the issue, it's the fact that once again the guys in charge seem to be sitting on their hands.

We have a decent squad but it's not balanced and there are clear deficiencies that we should have looked to improve upon..
The squad is decent with good depth, but the way the people at the club speak, you'd think this is some quadruple winning squad at the peak of its powers.

This is a brutally competitive league and you need to be improving continually. City do it ruthlessly. Arsenal have surely eclipsed us now as the main challengers to City. We seem to slipping into that third pack now comprising Chelsea and United. Luckily, United and Chelsea's recruitment has been horrible (not for want of spending). We'll probably finish above them, but that isn't the goal is it?

Firstly look at depth at any team (even City) and for CBs at 4 & 5 you're not going to find better than Gomez and Sepp (if we don't keep him we'll buy a replacement - until that time I'm assuming he stays). On quality our CB lineup is one of the best in the PL.

Secondly this is a Slot team now not a Klopp team. Whilst Klopp's teams have historically had a lot of injuries, Slot's haven't. I'm optimistic we'll revert to the PL mean now. Training and style of play obviously have a major impact on injuries.

Whilst disaster planning is a necessity for any company no company can afford to have everything and everyone backed up with like for like and in the footballing world if you are 4th or 5th choice you are usually young or old. Ours are better than that!

I don't disagree with some of your narrative. But I strongly disagree that we have "4 - 5 good CBs". We have 1.5 (as Ibu is always injured) and we are probably half a season away still from seeing if Quansah is truly up to the task yet. That would take us to 2.5. Gomez is a good back up full back. Third choice RB and third choice LB as it stands.

The squad is decent with good depth, but the way the people at the club speak, you'd think this is some quadruple winning squad at the peak of its powers.

This is a brutally competitive league and you need to be improving continually. City do it ruthlessly. Arsenal have surely eclipsed us now as the main challengers to City. We seem to slipping into that third pack now comprising Chelsea and United. Luckily, United and Chelsea's recruitment has been horrible (not for want of spending). We'll probably finish above them, but that isn't the goal is it?
This part isn’t completely true. Their transfer policy has been poor recently. They have brought in Haaland a few seasons ago but they seem to have struggled to replaced Silva and Gundogen. De Bruyne is still by far their best midfielder and is still there at 33. Doku is no better than Sterling (or Raheem) with Grealish way short of the standard of a £100 million player. Kovacic is crap, Gvardiol had a strong end of the season but was meh before that. Then there’s Kalvin Phillips.

I don't disagree with some of your narrative. But I strongly disagree that we have "4 - 5 good CBs". We have 1.5 (as Ibu is always injured) and we are probably half a season away still from seeing if Quansah is truly up to the task yet. That would take us to 2.5. Gomez is a good back up full back. Third choice RB and third choice LB as it stands.

I don't think it's as bad as you paint it. Quansah is very promising and will more than likely be a starter for us from here on out. Van Dijk is the other starter. Konate is a good backup given that the main two don't get injured much.

Gomez might not be a great CB but how many teams really have 4 top class CBs? Would you even want that? There's no chance you could keep them all happy anyway.

If Quansah regresses and Van Dijk leaves then yeah we'd have problems, but no reason to think that's likely right now.

There's always a tough balance between enough depth and keeping players happy. The only real solution seems to be players who just don't get injured much.

I still think our biggest problem by far is in attack. No backup for Salah, Nunez is highly questionable, and Jota is a crock. Can't understand why we haven't focused on that. And the one guy we seem interested in plays on the left, where we have 4 good options anyway. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom