• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin Zubimendi

This part isn’t completely true. Their transfer policy has been poor recently. They have brought in Haaland a few seasons ago but they seem to have struggled to replaced Silva and Gundogen. De Bruyne is still by far their best midfielder and is still there at 33. Doku is no better than Sterling (or Raheem) with Grealish way short of the standard of a £100 million player. Kovacic is crap, Gvardiol had a strong end of the season but was meh before that. Then there’s Kalvin Phillips.
Yea. They have challenges now, and have been hit and miss lately.
We have been the same or worse, but they can afford it more.

I don't think it's as bad as you paint it. Quansah is very promising and will more than likely be a starter for us from here on out. Van Dijk is the other starter. Konate is a good backup given that the main two don't get injured much.

Gomez might not be a great CB but how many teams really have 4 top class CBs? Would you even want that? There's no chance you could keep them all happy anyway.

If Quansah regresses and Van Dijk leaves then yeah we'd have problems, but no reason to think that's likely right now.

There's always a tough balance between enough depth and keeping players happy. The only real solution seems to be players who just don't get injured much.

I still think our biggest problem by far is in attack. No backup for Salah, Nunez is highly questionable, and Jota is a crock. Can't understand why we haven't focused on that. And the one guy we seem interested in plays on the left, where we have 4 good options anyway. Weird.

I don't even think Gomez is a 'good' CB, that is my point

I don't think it's as bad as you paint it. Quansah is very promising and will more than likely be a starter for us from here on out. Van Dijk is the other starter. Konate is a good backup given that the main two don't get injured much.

Gomez might not be a great CB but how many teams really have 4 top class CBs? Would you even want that? There's no chance you could keep them all happy anyway.

If Quansah regresses and Van Dijk leaves then yeah we'd have problems, but no reason to think that's likely right now.

There's always a tough balance between enough depth and keeping players happy. The only real solution seems to be players who just don't get injured much.

I still think our biggest problem by far is in attack. No backup for Salah, Nunez is highly questionable, and Jota is a crock. Can't understand why we haven't focused on that. And the one guy we seem interested in plays on the left, where we have 4 good options anyway. Weird.

Yup, one of the main priorities for me was "fixing" the attack, which hasn't looked right for a while.

I have to agree-- the midfield is largely fine. While Zubimendi would have been an excellent addition there, the focus has to be on the forwards. The last quarter of last season was an absolute disaster, thanks mainly to that toothless attack.

I have to agree-- the midfield is largely fine. While Zubimendi would have been an excellent addition there, the focus has to be on the forwards. The last quarter of last season was an absolute disaster, thanks mainly to that toothless attack.
No it's not - not having an active DM means that our defence is constantly exposed and have to do the work of the missing DM. Endo for all his talents cannot play every game and won't this season. Its a mess - the concern over forwards is not relevant to this season coz we will play differently but a DM is needed because Slot has no fucking clue about the way the PL actually is because he has not played a single PL game. May I remind all of you - that on any given day in this league - the team at the bottom can beat the team at the top regardless of form or expectation, its not like the other leagues in Europe. None of the top teams last season had a nice walk-over at Luton last season.

I firmly believe he would have come if klopp was still here. I don't mean that as a comparison between the two managers, though it's hardly a criticism to say that slot is less charismatic and magnetic, every other manager is.

No, it's more about one of the advantages to that universally agreed upon abomination that is a manager having a great deal of authority over purchases.

Here we have a player who is used to a very personal relationship to a club, and in came a team of slick cunts who probably made all sorts of cogent arguments and shiny entreaties. Liverpool(tm) want you, you lucky boy. Look at these training facilities, don't worry, we will set you up with this house etc. Stare into the infinity pool and forget about the ossau-iraty. No, keep staring, we are going to try to save a bit of money and need to negotiate.

One vignette about how klopp came from the black forest and it never leaves him and it's over. But it's also because the guy that wants you is on the phone. Not our best in class team, composed of a guy with no experience at this level of a club, and someone who knew enough about how liable they were to continue to pick winners to wangle a promotion out of that job.

I firmly believe he would have come if klopp was still here. I don't mean that as a comparison between the two managers, though it's hardly a criticism to say that slot is less charismatic and magnetic, every other manager is.

No, it's more about one of the advantages to that universally agreed upon abomination that is a manager having a great deal of authority over purchases.

Here we have a player who is used to a very personal relationship to a club, and in came a team of slick cunts who probably made all sorts of cogent arguments and shiny entreaties. Liverpool(tm) want you, you lucky boy. Look at these training facilities, don't worry, we will set you up with this house etc. Stare into the infinity pool and forget about the ossau-iraty. No, keep staring, we are going to try to save a bit of money and need to negotiate.

One vignette about how klopp came from the black forest and it never leaves him and it's over. But it's also because the guy that wants you is on the phone. Not our best in class team, composed of a guy with no experience at this level of a club, and someone who knew enough about how liable they were to continue to pick winners to wangle a promotion out of that job.
Nah, he's previously turned down Bayern and Arsenal as well. Chances are he's one of those Navas-type homesick characters or one of those happy to be a big fish in a small pond types (Le Tissier). Which means he was a poor choice as a target anyway - can't be spending so much time trying to get an unambitious player be part of a big project.

We have players obviously either in decline, injury prone, or serious contract doubts. We came third in the league. Without CL. Won no trophies. And FSG (along with the happy clappers on here) expect us to believe that there are no players in world football that can improve us?

The sky isn’t falling but what a fucking disappointing embarrassment.

No it's not - not having an active DM means that our defence is constantly exposed and have to do the work of the missing DM. Endo for all his talents cannot play every game and won't this season. Its a mess - the concern over forwards is not relevant to this season coz we will play differently but a DM is needed because Slot has no fucking clue about the way the PL actually is because he has not played a single PL game. May I remind all of you - that on any given day in this league - the team at the bottom can beat the team at the top regardless of form or expectation, its not like the other leagues in Europe. None of the top teams last season had a nice walk-over at Luton last season.
Balls! We were top of the league with that midfield on match week 30. We then imploded and, if you ask me, that was much a set up issue as personnel.

We have players obviously either in decline, injury prone, or serious contract doubts. We came third in the league. Without CL. Won no trophies. And FSG expect us to believe that there are no players in world football that can improve us?

What a fucking disappointing embarrassment.
It's been their MO for years. We were just lucky to have a generational manager

Is there a bigger issue that the talent pool is so fucking small? I’m not jealous of anyone else’s transfers. Even Mbappe. He was a load of shit in a shit Euros which nobody made me sit up and think we need that guy.

We do need new faces in the squad but part of that is just have new faces. I’d still bin off any of the attack provided we get someone in to replace them. I realise we aren’t getting a right winger in unless we sell Mo because anyone who is good enough we would want to start and not be on the bench 80% of the time.

It’s been a long standing issue now. Our transfer policy over the last 5 seasons has sucked balls. That includes the era of Klopp & Pep dictating things. They’ve gone and things remain the same. It’s a shambles. Hughes and co need to let some players go which are below what they think they are worth and stump up the cash for those they want in.

Anyway, others are also having shite windows too so that means we will win the league. Just not as easily as we would should we buy a few players.

Is there a bigger issue that the talent pool is so fucking small? I’m not jealous of anyone else’s transfers. Even Mbappe. He was a load of shit in a shit Euros which nobody made me sit up and think we need that guy.

We do need new faces in the squad but part of that is just have new faces. I’d still bin off any of the attack provided we get someone in to replace them. I realise we aren’t getting a right winger in unless we sell Mo because anyone who is good enough we would want to start and not be on the bench 80% of the time.

It’s been a long standing issue now. Our transfer policy over the last 5 seasons has sucked balls. That includes the era of Klopp & Pep dictating things. They’ve gone and things remain the same. It’s a shambles. Hughes and co need to let some players go which are below what they think they are worth and stump up the cash for those they want in.

Anyway, others are also having shite windows too so that means we will win the league. Just not as easily as we would should we buy a few players.
I don’t think the talent pool is small. It’s that the talent pool earlier (say 10-15 years ago) had much greater variance in terms of quality – players ranging from absolute shit to average to fucking brilliant. That variance is gone, and there’s a greater standardisation in player quality. No one truly brilliant anymore, but no one truly shit either.

This is probably a function of the massive improvement in coaching across the world. The sheer number of modern and progressive coaches has increased substantially, but they all coach the same way – focus on pressing, structure, fitness, efficiency in chance creation, and reduction of risk-taking and wastefulness.

The net result has been a larger pool of players who’re technically decent, fitter and stronger, but an overall reduction in the number of players who are other worldly.

In terms of recruitment, what that means is your focus is not finding someone who’s genuinely brilliant, but simply finding someone in their athletic prime with enough first-team experience to handle big game pressure. Thus the focus on finding players in 21-25 age bracket, who have 2-3 years of first team experience at mid-table / Europa League level clubs.

This is evident from our needs as well. Our biggest needs are at the three positions where our age profile doesn’t work anymore: CB (van Dijk - 33), LB (Robertson - 30), DM (Endo – 31) and RW (Salah – 32)

Seen from that perspective, it is baffling why our strategy always seems to be either our primary target or no one at all.

I don’t think the talent pool is small. It’s that the talent pool earlier (say 10-15 years ago) had much greater variance in terms of quality – players ranging from absolute shit to average to fucking brilliant. That variance is gone, and there’s a greater standardisation in player quality. No one truly brilliant anymore, but no one truly shit either.

This is probably a function of the massive improvement in coaching across the world. The sheer number of modern and progressive coaches has increased substantially, but they all coach the same way – focus on pressing, structure, fitness, efficiency in chance creation, and reduction of risk-taking and wastefulness.

The net result has been a larger pool of players who’re technically decent, fitter and stronger, but an overall reduction in the number of players who are other worldly.

In terms of recruitment, what that means is your focus is not finding someone who’s genuinely brilliant, but simply finding someone in their athletic prime with enough first-team experience to handle big game pressure. Thus the focus on finding players in 21-25 age bracket, who have 2-3 years of first team experience at mid-table / Europa League level clubs.

This is evident from our needs as well. Our biggest needs are at the three positions where our age profile doesn’t work anymore: CB (van Dijk - 33), LB (Robertson - 30), DM (Endo – 31) and RW (Salah – 32)

Seen from that perspective, it is baffling why our strategy always seems to be either our primary target or no one at all.
This is something I can get behind. Players are like robots these days.

I’m okay getting top 3 targets or no one because I don’t want us to sign anyone just for the sake of signing someone. It’s pissing me off we haven’t gone this is the priority order of positions we need to fix. If we can’t get top 3 players from priority A move to priority B. And so on. If we need to sell someone to free up a place in the squad then get the maximum price we can and not dally about looking for the Saudis to save us again.

I don't even think Gomez is a 'good' CB, that is my point

I think he’s fine, along with every other CB on the planet who’s name doesn’t rhyme with “Carry Ma Tyre” if he’s playing beside Virgil.

Otherwise he’s a mere mortal.

The issue I have is very simple - for the first time I can say that we have a complete team - regardless of what you may think of certain positions and yes we are short on the right wing, but Salah is nearly always available so we should be alright in most instances. However, the DM position is the only position I want covered by a first team signing better than Endo in physicality and speed with adequate passing ability to play the Slot system. This is the first time where I can say that FSG are actually short of one player to give us that title winning team potentially. Just one player away - that's all I am asking for. They have been on the search for a DM for nearly 3 seasons in a row - 3 fucking seasons - you are all trying to tell me that there NO ONE out there except Zubi ? Fuck off.

Balls! We were top of the league with that midfield on match week 30. We then imploded and, if you ask me, that was much a set up issue as personnel.
Yes and I kind of expected that with ball playing midfielders, but when our DM ran out of steam after the cup final the leaking started, and the injuries came in, and the defence was exposed.

We looked most defensively sound when Endo was fit and firing, not because he's brilliant, but because he's good and it's his position.

As everyone knows, he can't play twice a week, because if you don't have a surplus of mobility and athleticism in the first place, tired legs mean being behind the play constantly. We know this not just from Endo, but from the last fucking three years.

So we play people out of position, which even if they do a decent job, isn't great in itself, but greatly sacrifices their higher ceiling elsewhere.

We know all of this and yet we persist.

Good enough is the practice but the team itself has to be at 100% in an ultra competitive league.

Back
Top Bottom