• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Martin Zubimendi

Agreed but I struggle with believing that there are no viable alternatives to Zubimendi when we've been looking for almost three seasons.

If we truly believed that only Player X will do, then go all out, and don't play games. Especially not that game where we jump in at the last minute, close to the end of the window, hoping to catch everyone out by surprise and thinking we've smoked out the competition. It has failed us twice now, utterly embarrassed us, to put it bluntly. It has never saved us money.

It's even worse than the "tapping up" strategy which also has never saved us money, because we don't follow through properly.

I still believe, as with Tchuoaméni, it was the particular player whom we wanted.
and not necessarily the position that needed filling. Otherwise, the alternatives aren’t any better than the players we already have.

This is a new transfer team though. And for every Salah and Gini there were Brandts and Zielinskis.
We can't keep using 8 year old references when the only common factor is Edwards, who isn't even doing the transfers; it's his team.

I find it infinitely more believable, as we have a strong side with a few players who can "do a job" at a high level in certain positions. At the time we didn't have a RW, so Brandt or Salah was a no brainer. Same with the LCM position with zielinski or gini.

Now we have gravy, endo and Stefan who can play as the 6. Even Macca and Jones.

They will not buy a 6 for us now, short of a last minute cheap panic buy due to outgoings, which is what happened last year when fab and hendo went.

The purchases of Diaz, gakpo, the potential Georgian are our options now. Potential cheap signings who tick a lot of the boxes. Maybe not perfect replacements in the metrics the spreadsheet squad love, but their value makes it worth the punt.

Was it last month Joyce or someone said we were going to be "opportunistic in the market"? This is what it means. Good value low risk targets.

I find it infinitely more believable, as we have a strong side with a few players who can "do a job" at a high level in certain positions. At the time we didn't have a RW, so Brandt or Salah was a no brainer. Same with the LCM position with zielinski or gini.

Now we have gravy, endo and Stefan who can play as the 6. Even Macca and Jones.

They will not buy a 6 for us now, short of a last minute cheap panic buy due to outgoings, which is what happened last year when fab and hendo went.

The purchases of Diaz, gakpo, the potential Georgian are our options now. Potential cheap signings who tick a lot of the boxes. Maybe not perfect replacements in the metrics the spreadsheet squad love, but their value makes it worth the punt.

Was it last month Joyce or someone said we were going to be "opportunistic in the market"? This is what it means. Good value low risk targets.
I'm fine with this.
Yeah we have enough to cover the DM position and also LB position.

The only glaring gap we have in the squad is an alternative to Salah.

I just really hope Slot doesn't see Harvey as the backup RW too.

@Judge Jules agree with you on that, but the issue here is that we are talking about a DM, lets not forget that Fabinio and even Rodri were not the players they are now in their first season. What I think in our case is most important is that all our midfielders bar Endo do not have that DM sense at the required level. Is it not rasonable to get a player who is defense first but also has better physicality than Endo, and can be quickly developed into playing the role that Slot wants in his double pivot setup ? I dont buy into the Zubi being the only player in the world worth getting as our semi 6, it just does not add up.

Its a position we seemed to have abandoned for 3 seasons in a row now, and makes no sense, and PL history tells us all that such a player has always been present in all title winning teams without exception.

Using our existing 8's is not a long term solution, and to be honest when VVD said we need signings I am pretty sure he was meaning cover for the defense, it will make their work easier, and even commit to extending his contract.

Right now, its just negligence and lack of will/ambition for this team to challenge and progress. For the record, its the only signing I wanted this summer given Salah has stayed for now, we have cover and very good players in all other positions and I think we could win the league but for this signing. For others that think we need more, I disagree, we have enough newbies - 4 mids last season plus introducing Bradley and Q ... thats like half a team full of new players...which is more than enough. Just get me my active DM machine !!!!

@Judge Jules agree with you on that, but the issue here is that we are talking about a DM, lets not forget that Fabinio and even Rodri were not the players they are now in their first season. !
Who the fuck is Fabinio?! You sound like that commentator who could never get his name right. After 5 years at the club FFS.

Old age hitting us hard.

@Judge Jules agree with you on that, but the issue here is that we are talking about a DM, lets not forget that Fabinio and even Rodri were not the players they are now in their first season. What I think in our case is most important is that all our midfielders bar Endo do not have that DM sense at the required level. Is it not rasonable to get a player who is defense first but also has better physicality than Endo, and can be quickly developed into playing the role that Slot wants in his double pivot setup ? I dont buy into the Zubi being the only player in the world worth getting as our semi 6, it just does not add up.

Its a position we seemed to have abandoned for 3 seasons in a row now, and makes no sense, and PL history tells us all that such a player has always been present in all title winning teams without exception.

Using our existing 8's is not a long term solution, and to be honest when VVD said we need signings I am pretty sure he was meaning cover for the defense, it will make their work easier, and even commit to extending his contract.

Right now, its just negligence and lack of will/ambition for this team to challenge and progress. For the record, its the only signing I wanted this summer given Salah has stayed for now, we have cover and very good players in all other positions and I think we could win the league but for this signing. For others that think we need more, I disagree, we have enough newbies - 4 mids last season plus introducing Bradley and Q ... thats like half a team full of new players...which is more than enough. Just get me my active DM machine !!!!

The problem with that is that “physicality” and “defensive mindedness” isn’t necessarily the primary attributes that Slot is looking for - it’s more about technical ability on the ball to retain possession in tight spaces under pressure and progress the ball breaking through opposition press by either passing or carrying.

That’s important because we’re looking to retain possession more and it - so if we already have players with the skillset to fill that role when it’s pretty clear that there aren’t a vast number of alternatives out there.

The point with Gravy is that playing in a double or single pivot isn’t alien to him - he’s played there before.

I’m not bloody arsed about assigning players positions on the pitch. I expect it all to be fluid and interchangeable. We won’t need a brick shithouse in front of the defence. Get back to press the opposition into their box and long balls are cleared by Virgil.

I'm fine with this.
Yeah we have enough to cover the DM position and also LB position.

The only glaring gap we have in the squad is an alternative to Salah.

I just really hope Slot doesn't see The Boy as the backup RW too.
There is also a glaring gap of a quality number 6. Before the transfer window opened it was obvious we needed a quality 6. That hasn't changed just because gravy has done an ok job in preseason against opposition playing at half paced. Will be completely different when the season starts. Yes we have people that can do a ok job as a 6 but we need better. Our current midfield will struggle for control against good opposition.

There is also a glaring gap of a quality number 6. Before the transfer window opened it was obvious we needed a quality 6. That hasn't changed just because gravy has done an ok job in preseason against opposition playing at half paced. Will be completely different when the season starts. Yes we have people that can do a ok job as a 6 but we need better. Our current midfield will struggle for control against good opposition.
If we're talking quality, there's gaps all over the place. I was just saying that we've at least got bodies at LB and DM.
We only have one real right winger, imo.

If we're talking quality, there's gaps all over the place. I was just saying that we've at least got bodies at LB and DM.
We only have one real right winger, imo.
Well diaz, jota, szobo, and elliott can "do a job" there as well, but yeah i get your point. I just think that in terms of starting 11(i know its a squad game and injuries happen but humour me) that if we got a CB and DM our starting 11 would be very strong. To be weak in the middle of the park means we are going to get cut open too easily.

I genuinely don't believe we'll make another signing, unless it's a massive value one, or we're left short of first team quality. The Georgian could potentially save us 30-40m in 2 years time.

Backup RW I don't think will be that. As said, Salah, szobo, Elliott, gakpo at a push, can all play there. Hell, even Bradley has played RW before.

Genuinely only think Diaz going will get them to sanctions move for Gordon, who ticks a lot of boxes for them it seems. We'll go back next year and low ball again if we don't

The problem with that is that “physicality” and “defensive mindedness” isn’t necessarily the primary attributes that Slot is looking for - it’s more about technical ability on the ball to retain possession in tight spaces under pressure and progress the ball breaking through opposition press by either passing or carrying.

That’s important because we’re looking to retain possession more and it - so if we already have players with the skillset to fill that role when it’s pretty clear that there aren’t a vast number of alternatives out there.

The point with Gravy is that playing in a double or single pivot isn’t alien to him - he’s played there before.

Yes I know about Gravy playing there, and yet he was never used in that position for his national team in the Euro's, I don't think he is capable at all - the Arsenal away game in the league showed me everything about his lack of awareness on defensive play. Those pre-season games are nothing like the actual PL games we will face. Until Slot plays the games - he won't know he really does need one, and the physicality.

With a fully fit squad, there are only 2 glaring weaknesses.

1) DM - Imo, Endo isn't good enough for Slot ball. Gravy/Stef potentially could be, but it's a huge punt. Zubimendi was a more sure fire DM. I'd be fine taking the risk on not buying a DM, if it meant sorting out:

2) CF - I think we win the league last year if Jota stays fit - but Jota's fitness record means we're relying on Nunez. He's simply not good enough for a technical team. Diaz doesn't score enough from LW, Salah can't beat a player any more, but can create a lot of chances. Those chances need to be falling to a Jota or Isak. I would have loved if we could offer Newcastle 40M + Nunez for Isak. When Jota is fit, both can play LW/CF and we'll have 3 goalscorers up top. When Jota isn't fit, we can play Gakpo/Diaz LW and Isak CF.

With a fully fit squad, there are only 2 glaring weaknesses.

1) DM - Imo, Endo isn't good enough for Slot ball. Gravy/Stef potentially could be, but it's a huge punt. Zubimendi was a more sure fire DM. I'd be fine taking the risk on not buying a DM, if it meant sorting out:

2) CF - I think we win the league last year if Jota stays fit - but Jota's fitness record means we're relying on Nunez. He's simply not good enough for a technical team. Diaz doesn't score enough from LW, Salah can't beat a player any more, but can create a lot of chances. Those chances need to be falling to a Jota or Isak. I would have loved if we could offer Newcastle 40M + Nunez for Isak. When Jota is fit, both can play LW/CF and we'll have 3 goalscorers up top. When Jota isn't fit, we can play Gakpo/Diaz LW and Isak CF.
Agreed - but I would be just happy with (1).

Yes I know about Gravy playing there, and yet he was never used in that position for his national team in the Euro's, I don't think he is capable at all - the Arsenal away game in the league showed me everything about his lack of awareness on defensive play. Those pre-season games are nothing like the actual PL games we will face. Until Slot plays the games - he won't know he really does need one, and the physicality.

He’s not exactly flavour of the month with Koeman and I wouldn’t expect him to be a starter after not playing as regularly for us last season as we hoped.

Also, you’re basing his suitability on one game, against a very good team, under a different manager and in a slightly different system - do I need to even tell you how flawed that is.

The point is… regardless of who we go or don’t sign, this role is one that Gravy should look to fill if he can - he can play in all 3 midfield roles, Klopp knew this and I’m sure Slot does as well. That deeper role is the one that he’s most likely to get regularly with Mac, Slobbers & Harveybin the team b- not to mention CJ.

We’re not in desperate need of signings, are we? At the beginning of summer, everyone thought Diaz and/or Salah would be off, Nunez might be sold, maybe Tsimikas and maybe even Trent as well. Now it looks like all the senior players are staying, so there is not quite the same urgency.

This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t invest in long-term squad planning, of course. There are positions we could improve. But I don’t think we’re in “Arthur on deadline day” situation this time. The squad is fairly balanced and has quality and potential to develop further.
Thank you!

You have to keep improving..::

A reliable goal machine, an additional #6 and a center half would have been brilliant. Even 2 of the 3? Or 1 of the 3. But nada? Makes rebuilding even harder when you miss windows like this

Surely we have 2-3 names for positions? Not just one?

You have to keep improving..::

A reliable goal machine, an additional #6 and a center half would have been brilliant. Even 2 of the 3? Or 1 of the 3. But nada? Makes rebuilding even harder when you miss windows like this

Surely we have 2-3 names for positions? Not just one?
There may be, however when you reach a certain (LFC) level it's not as easy as say a Brighton or West Ham because we want players that are better than the incumbents and therefore the pool is much smaller.

Let's say there are initially 5 that they are looking at in depth, well maybe 1 or 2 don't want to move to us, or they are on long contracts and their club won't entertain a bid or starts talking silly money (cf that Lyon owner a few years ago) or they simply put too high a fee on them compared to our valuation, or negotiations break down for a multitude of other reasons (health, agent, personality, attitude etc) or as has happened with Zubi not only was he reluctant (but initially agreed it seems) to move but then his club doubled his salary (or whatever it was) changing his mind.

I doubt it's as easy as some on here would have us believe if the target is to get better players in than we currently possess.

We haven’t lost a single 1st teamer (Matip and Thiago don’t count due to lack of minutes last season) so it’s no surprise we haven’t signed anyone. Our squad is massive with loads of players being able to operate in several positions.

One out, one in.

A new season, fresh tactics, less intensity may mean fewer injuries and more consistent teams being put out. City haven’t signed anyone who made me think they are stronger, likewise Arsenal. Throughout the league I’m not jealous of anyone who has been bought.

Would I like a Rodri? Yes. I’m not going to lose my shit if we don’t get one. We have eighty twelve other midfielders.

Left back is most concerning. Robbo maybe shot and Tsimikas is shit. That needs sorting but may require one of those two to move on first and that isn’t going to happen.

We haven’t lost a single 1st teamer (Matip and Thiago don’t count due to lack of minutes last season) so it’s no surprise we haven’t signed anyone. Our squad is massive with loads of players being able to operate in several positions.

One out, one in.

A new season, fresh tactics, less intensity may mean fewer injuries and more consistent teams being put out. City haven’t signed anyone who made me think they are stronger, likewise Arsenal. Throughout the league I’m not jealous of anyone who has been bought.

Would I like a Rodri? Yes. I’m not going to lose my shit if we don’t get one. We have eighty twelve other midfielders.

Left back is most concerning. Robbo maybe shot and Tsimikas is shit. That needs sorting but may require one of those two to move on first and that isn’t going to happen.

A left back or centre back that can play both on the left side is probably more important. We have a very bloated squad so not strange that we are selling several fringe/youngsters.

A left back or centre back that can play both on the left side is probably more important. We have a very bloated squad so not strange that we are selling several fringe/youngsters.
It’s only fair on those players to let them go and play to get to the next level.

Much as I dislike it, squad improvement is about bringing in 2 to 3 quality players every seasons, along with a few young projects, and then forcing out the weakest 3 to 4 players players.

It is not waiting for first team players to leave before plugging the gaps.

I agree that we should only bring in players better than those we have, but finding these players is precisely what we have a massive army of scouts and analysts for. How can Zubimendi be the only player on this planet that is better than Gravenberch and Tyler?

Robbo, tsimi, Gomez, scanlon, chambers

I don't think we're signing a left back unless they're going cheap. Centre back? Maybe. We seem keen on selling sepp, leaving 4cbs for 2 positions. 1 os injury prone. 1 is a kid, 1 can be improved upon, 1 might be leaving for free in the next few years. CB should be priority

We have a decent squad in terms of numbers, but probably not enough world-class players at the top. Title winning squads need 5-6 world class players supplemented by another 10 good players, and maybe 3-4 fringe youngsters. No squad effectively uses more than 18-20 players a season. The bulk of 2000-3000+ mins are borne by about 13-14 players.

Now our prime Klopp team had multiple world class players - Alisson, VVD, Trent, Fabinho, Salah and Mane supplemented by a set of excellent players like Robertson, Matip, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Fabinho.

This squad has plenty in the second category, but the world-class players are fewer.

Alisson is still top class, VVD arguably still is. Macallister is definitely up there too.

Salah isn't anymore, and Trent while having world-class ability lacks focus. Diaz, Darwin, Szoboszlai etc are all good players, but haven't developed into the absolute top class players we hoped they would.

A new no. 6, a great LCB and another shit-hot young winger is what this squad needs to compete for CL and PL. Without those, I think we'll still be good, but not top tier.

Back
Top Bottom