• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Manchester City vs Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind games?

[article]
Pep Guardiola suggested Manchester City’s Premier League title defence would have been over if they had not beaten Southampton, while admitting it remains precariously balanced going into Thursday’s showdown with Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium.
City won 3-1 thanks to goals from David Silva and Sergio Agüero, either side of a James Ward-Prowse own goal, to cut the gap on Liverpool to seven points and improve on a run that had seen them lose three out of four games in the league.

Guardiola went on to describe Liverpool as the “best team in Europe” at the moment and among “the top four in the world.” The scene for Thursday has been set.

“Given the position of Liverpool, [if] we drop points, it’s over, it’s finished – it would be almost impossible,” Guardiola said. “Of course, I think they’re going to drop points but not too many. And if we want to be there as far as possible until the end, we have to win games.
“Unfortunately we lost our previous two [against Crystal Palace and Leicester] and we have a rival who, at the moment, is the best team in Europe or in the top four in the world and that is Liverpool. That’s why next Thursday is a challenge and we will try to win. If we can sustain our position for as long as possible, we can arrive at the end of the season fighting for the title.
“We are not here to send messages to Liverpool. Liverpool know what they have to do and we know what we have to do. It’s first against second next Thursday. I know the distance is big – seven points – especially because they are so solid and consistent. But it’s a game at home and hopefully the extra help from our people at the Etihad can come.”

Guardiola dwelt on the small margins that are constantly at play. Despite calling the tune for much of the first half, City might have given away a penalty at 1-1 when Ward-Prowse went down under Oleksandr Zinchenko’s challenge – though an award would have been harsh. City scored almost immediately when Ward-Prowse deflected Raheem Sterling’s cross past his own goalkeeper and Agüero quickly made it 3-1.
“The difference [from the Palace and Leicester games] is that Raheem scores at 1-1 [or] what happens is the diving from Prowse is a penalty – you go in at half-time at 1-2 and it’s a disaster, after we played 35 minutes exceptionally,” Guardiola said. “What do you expect when you are Crystal Palace, playing solid, you score an equaliser [for 1-1] and then [Andros] Townsend, from his apartment, scores a second goal! Hats off to him. There’s nothing to add.

“Today we were more aggressive, clearer with the ball. Apart from 10, 15 minutes, which always happens in the Premier League, there were many things I liked. We missed a lot of chances. The game was 6-1, 7-1. You have to score. Liverpool is not going to give us this amount of chances.”

Guardiola said Kevin De Bruyne had missed the game because of a “muscular problem” and he did not know whether the midfielder would be fit to face Liverpool, while he was relieved the fit-again Fernandinho had avoided injury after a dreadful 85th-minute challenge from Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, that resulted in the Southampton captain being sent off.
“Definitely, definitely, it was a relief,” Guardiola said. “I know Pierre. We were together at Bayern Munich. He’s a fantastic guy. But it is what it is.”
[/article]

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/30/manchester-city-pep-guardiola-liverpool

I’m just hoping that we play really well against em...

We were very shabby against Arsenal.

Then again.. if you can beat a good team 5-1 while not playing to your best...

Nifty.

Very Nifty indeed.

I can so feel this game.... they are gonna come at us from every angle...both sides with two giants defending and both having speed up front. Its gonna be fucking epic this.

Mind games?

[article]
Pep Guardiola suggested Manchester City’s Premier League title defence would have been over if they had not beaten Southampton, while admitting it remains precariously balanced going into Thursday’s showdown with Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium.
City won 3-1 thanks to goals from David Silva and Sergio Agüero, either side of a James Ward-Prowse own goal, to cut the gap on Liverpool to seven points and improve on a run that had seen them lose three out of four games in the league.

Guardiola went on to describe Liverpool as the “best team in Europe” at the moment and among “the top four in the world.” The scene for Thursday has been set.

“Given the position of Liverpool, [if] we drop points, it’s over, it’s finished – it would be almost impossible,” Guardiola said. “Of course, I think they’re going to drop points but not too many. And if we want to be there as far as possible until the end, we have to win games.
“Unfortunately we lost our previous two [against Crystal Palace and Leicester] and we have a rival who, at the moment, is the best team in Europe or in the top four in the world and that is Liverpool. That’s why next Thursday is a challenge and we will try to win. If we can sustain our position for as long as possible, we can arrive at the end of the season fighting for the title.
“We are not here to send messages to Liverpool. Liverpool know what they have to do and we know what we have to do. It’s first against second next Thursday. I know the distance is big – seven points – especially because they are so solid and consistent. But it’s a game at home and hopefully the extra help from our people at the Etihad can come.”

Guardiola dwelt on the small margins that are constantly at play. Despite calling the tune for much of the first half, City might have given away a penalty at 1-1 when Ward-Prowse went down under Oleksandr Zinchenko’s challenge – though an award would have been harsh. City scored almost immediately when Ward-Prowse deflected Raheem Sterling’s cross past his own goalkeeper and Agüero quickly made it 3-1.
“The difference [from the Palace and Leicester games] is that Raheem scores at 1-1 [or] what happens is the diving from Prowse is a penalty – you go in at half-time at 1-2 and it’s a disaster, after we played 35 minutes exceptionally,” Guardiola said. “What do you expect when you are Crystal Palace, playing solid, you score an equaliser [for 1-1] and then [Andros] Townsend, from his apartment, scores a second goal! Hats off to him. There’s nothing to add.

“Today we were more aggressive, clearer with the ball. Apart from 10, 15 minutes, which always happens in the Premier League, there were many things I liked. We missed a lot of chances. The game was 6-1, 7-1. You have to score. Liverpool is not going to give us this amount of chances.”

Guardiola said Kevin De Bruyne had missed the game because of a “muscular problem” and he did not know whether the midfielder would be fit to face Liverpool, while he was relieved the fit-again Fernandinho had avoided injury after a dreadful 85th-minute challenge from Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, that resulted in the Southampton captain being sent off.
“Definitely, definitely, it was a relief,” Guardiola said. “I know Pierre. We were together at Bayern Munich. He’s a fantastic guy. But it is what it is.”
[/article]

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/30/manchester-city-pep-guardiola-liverpool
Even if it is mind games, fuck it. Some buzz to hear their manager even say that. He thinks the league is ours if they lose to us. We've gone from two points off the top, trying to keep pace to him saying that within a month.

Pep knows he has to win this game - it's key to their ability to shake us. A draw/win for us leaves him in the same predicament.

Man City are easily capable or winning 10+ games on the trot. We've proved so are we.

I'm finding this so tense already. I'm just gonna try and enjoy it the best we can.

It's the wife's 40th birthday and I'll be sat in some Michelin star decorated restaurant in northern Italy which she booked on recommendation of her cunt sister. It will cost me a fortune and I will miss the fucking game.

I'm so going to the bogs every 5 minutes checking the score. Keep me updated, lads!

Man City are easily capable or winning 10+ games on the trot. We've proved so are we.

I'm finding this so tense already. I'm just gonna try and enjoy it the best we can.

Its getting harder and harder to enjoy it though, and I suspect it will become a torture in the end knowing we’re getting closer to the possibility of winning it.
The City, Palace and Chelsea games in 13/14 comes to mind. Horrid.

It's the wife's 40th birthday and I'll be sat in some Michelin star decorated restaurant in northern Italy which she booked on recommendation of her cunt sister. It will cost me a fortune and I will miss the fucking game.

I'm so going to the bogs every 5 minutes checking the score. Keep me updated, lads!

Those sorts of places will likely have fancy table cloths. You can stream the game on sky go, and order soup. It'll be relatively cheaper and also give you an excuse to regularly lower your head to the table/phone.

I was taking the piss of your misfortune, but actually it might just work when you think about it.

I'm on it man - I'm sure everyone will be the same.

Last edited:
Don't know own why you picked 18 years, but since you did, Ferguson is up there too.

Yes he is up there - for sure - I have downgraded him only because he has only managed in Scotland, and England, and his European CL record is very poor over the timespan he managed United. Probably 4th, as you cannot discount Ancelotti, and Lippi. @LeTallecWiz - Jose has won the league in all the countries he has managed - and he has managed more clubs than Pep in more nations. Just coz Jose did not win the league with that shower of shit does not make him a failure.

Send the bill to your sister in law

Huge game but even if we win it the league is far from done.

City have shown a couple of key injuries and you can loss a few games in quick succession.

We could easily be second in 3 weeks times.

I’d take a draw now but there is such a long way to go nothing is decided yet even with a win.

The big positive is Klopp was here before with Dortmund and knows how to keep a lead.

Where are you heading? I have a place in the Hills outside Asti.

Order something so huge or eye-catching that you can fuck off and watch the game without her noticing.

Home tickets still available in blocks of 4.

Fucking useless fans. How the fuck would you not want to attend this game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom