• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Espanyol match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=35034.msg916868#msg916868 date=1249248491]
I chose to watch Top Gear instead.

Sounds like I didn't miss much.
[/quote]

That was shit too!!

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35034.msg916886#msg916886 date=1249250273]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=35034.msg916885#msg916885 date=1249250127]
in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. no injuries, everyone (bar a few) got 45 minutes of competitive football under their belts but boy do we look disjointed.
to be honest we tend to look disjointed everytime alonso doesn't play, he simply knows when to pass it simple or attempt to make a defense splitting pass, the other in midfield are either playing it square all the time or are far too ambitious.
[/quote]

What are you on about Neil? "Xabi gets the ball, passes it, AND THAT'S IT."

[/quote]

good players make diffiuclt things look simple which some people judge as ACTUALLY being simple until someone else who isn't as good attempts it and they find out it isn't 'simple' at all. I'm dreading us losing xabi, DREADING it.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=35034.msg916901#msg916901 date=1249250887]
in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. no injuries, everyone (bar a few) got 45 minutes of competitive football under their belts but boy do we look disjointed.
to be honest we tend to look disjointed everytime alonso doesn't play, he simply knows when to pass it simple or attempt to make a defense splitting pass, the other in midfield are either playing it square all the time or are far too ambitious.
[/quote]

[/quote]

good players make diffiuclt things look simple which some people judge as ACTUALLY being simple unless someone else who isn't as good attempts it. I'm dreading us losing xabi, DREADING it.
[/quote]

I know, I was quoting Oncy.

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35034.msg916903#msg916903 date=1249250941]
[/quote]

[/quote]

good players make diffiuclt things look simple which some people judge as ACTUALLY being simple unless someone else who isn't as good attempts it. I'm dreading us losing xabi, DREADING it.
[/quote]

I know, I was quoting Oncy.
[/quote]

I know. oncy' in denial

We were awful in preseason last year too and we didn't win the league then either

good players make diffiuclt things look simple
[/quote]

And yet you still rate Babel?

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35034.msg916913#msg916913 date=1249252508]
We were awful in preseason last year too and we didn't win the league then either
[/quote]

Robbie Keane scored two the other night, and Michael Owen has 4 in pre-season for the Mancs.

-Tenuos link between our form combined with not having either of those two-

=

MAD FACES

Rafa Benitez spoke of his disappointment after Liverpool crashed to a 3-0 defeat to Espanyol in Spain on Sunday evening.
Ben Sahar struck twice in the second half to add to an early goal from Luis Garcia as the 'Periquitos' celebrated the opening of their new Estadi Cornella-El Prat in style.

"The game was very important for them," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "For us it was a friendly game, but you have to play with intensity in every match and you have to work harder than we did today.

"For 25 minutes in the first half we were more or less okay, but for the rest of the game they were on top of us, winning every second ball and challenge. You cannot win these kind of games if you don't work harder.

"We had chances and hit the crossbar and post, but clearly we did not deserve to win."

Benitez refused to single out any individuals, insisting the team as a unit did not perform.

"I don't think it was a problem of one or two players, I think the team as a whole were not working hard enough," said the Reds boss.

"Espanyol were very good moving between the lines. We were not pressing and working together and it created a big problem for our defenders.

"But when these things happen in pre-season, you can change things for the start of the season. We have 15 more days and all the players can work together."

The Reds will now head back to Merseyside before travelling to Norway to take on FC Lyn in Oslo.

Benitez added: "We have had some players coming back late and they need to play and train more for their fitness, so we will see if we can improve in the next game."

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=35034.msg916877#msg916877 date=1249249781]
[quote author=Wilko7 link=topic=35034.msg916873#msg916873 date=1249249230]
Hansern - if you are (in your own words) spelling out for me how hopeless our players are try to spell hopeless correctly. Soft shite.
[/quote]

Do you have to work hard at being a twat Wilko or does it come naturally?

Did we win by the way?
[/quote]

Years of dedication and self discipline, Sheik. You?

[quote author=refugee link=topic=35034.msg916916#msg916916 date=1249252763]

good players make diffiuclt things look simple
[/quote]

And yet you still rate Babel?
[/quote]

I 'like' babel' I'm not sure I 'rate' babel. just one of those things, I was a big smicer fan as well.

Well, I ended up missing this - sounds like it was for the best.

I guess it's important to retain a bit of perspective given that it's a friendly, but given that they're now marketed to us by in order to make more money, we've not been given much to feel encouraged about after a fucking awful summer, have we?

Chelsea lost 2-0 to Reading at the weekend.
This was the team they put out:

-------------------CECH-------------------
BOSINGWA---TERRY---ALEX---COLE
-------------------MIKEL----------------
------ESSIEN-----LAMPARD----MALOUDA
------------ANELKA----DROGBA--------

Their best team. And they got beat by Reading.

Pre-season friendlies are a bag of balls.

Not saying pre-season friendlies are anything but... just that I can't help but feel a little discouraged by this summer as a whole. All our rubbish players are still with us and we will have lost two first teamers.

Chelsea ended up salvaging a draw by the way.

[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=35034.msg916933#msg916933 date=1249254452]
lucas was very good.
[/quote]

Comments like that won't fly around here Skully.

(You're right though).

[quote author=keniget link=topic=35034.msg916948#msg916948 date=1249263211]
Not saying pre-season friendlies are anything but... just that I can't help but feel a little discouraged by this summer as a whole. All our rubbish players are still with us and we will have lost two first teamers.

[/quote]

Oh did they? Ha, it was 2-0 when I left it.

Anyway, I agree to an extent. I suppose the only salvation is that our rivals are in pretty much the same boat. I can't see how Chelsea, Arsenal or United have strengthened. Still, it's been a disappointing summer as you say.

Theres an awful amount of gnashing in a thread about a game means fuck all.

And Ryan. I promise everytime we win NOT to say 'See we dont need Xabi' if you promise when we lose to NOT say 'apparantly he gets it passes it' otherwise this could get really fucking dull.
I didnt say he wasnt a good player, didnt say he wasnt important, i said he plays a very simple game well. Anyway, im not doing this all year.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=35034.msg916955#msg916955 date=1249264139]
Theres an awful amount of gnashing in a thread about a game means fuck all.

And Ryan. I promise everytime we win NOT to say 'See we dont need Xabi' if you promise when we lose to NOT say 'apparantly he gets it passes it' otherwise this could get really fucking dull.
I didnt say he wasnt a good player, didnt say he wasnt important, i said he plays a very simple game well. Anyway, im not doing this all year.
[/quote]

Fret not Oncy, I only brought it up in reply to Neil's comment.

For the record, I don't actually believe that you think that 'recieving and passing' is all there is to Xabi's game. I think you were just caught up in an argument at the tiem, and it came across a bit harsher than you actually believe/meant.

bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum...Gash-shoom-Ah Aaaah ! That was fucking terrible bum bum bum bum....

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=35034.msg916950#msg916950 date=1249263809]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=35034.msg916948#msg916948 date=1249263211]

[/quote]

Oh did they? Ha, it was 2-0 when I left it.

[/quote]

I think both Chelsea goals were scored during injury time.

lucas was very good. babel is really trying.
[/quote]

In a otherwise rather mediocre performance he actually stood out and at one point it almost looked like he's suddenly got pace to burn?

Did anyone else notice how he suddenly moved very quickly from A to B in the matter of seconds?

Weird.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=35034.msg917014#msg917014 date=1249289899]
lucas was very good. babel is really trying.
[/quote]

In a otherwise rather mediocre performance he actually stood out and at one point it almost looked like he's suddenly got pace to burn?

Did anyone else notice how he suddenly moved very quickly from A to B in the matter of seconds?

Weird.
[/quote]

He did have a very god game - an improved performance at just the right time.

It's somewhat telling how few on here have commented on him. I really hope he can prove his doubters wrong this year.

Yeah, Lucas was better than I expected - certainly in terms of his aggressiveness. We lacked fluidity in our passing, but I don't know if that was down to Lucas playing in Xabi's position or just the disjointedness of the whole team.

I'm not pressing any panic buttons - the game just confirmed what we all know really: we've got an excellent first XI, plus maybe half a dozen good squad players. Beyond that, we're really, really average. If the likes of Degen, Dossena, San José, Wash and Voronin are going to be used on a regular basis, we'll be in trouble. Fingers crossed for no injuries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom