• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

We spent the entire season trying to offload Endo who was one of our best players from last season.

Anthony Gordon is dead.

We still have 2 South American jokers up front.

No contracts signed for our big 3.

Now Gravenberch is our new saviour.

This is the Liverpool way.

Maybe I’ll be proven foolish, but I believe in Gravenberch at #6 long-term. He “feels” like a better fit than someone like Zubimendi - naturally progressive and attack-minded player with DMs physicality. I’m willing to live with some growing pains and inconsistency if it means developing a top-tier talent that Gravenberch clearly is.

If we don’t sign another #6, of course this means Endo must stay, which is also more than fine with me.

That does leave us nicely balanced if it’s Gravy/Endo for the deeper pivot, Mac/CJ for the more advanced pivot and Slobbers/Harvey for the attacking role.

Where is this optimism about Gravenberch coming from? Last season, he did not seem worthy of a place unless it was against championship-level opposition or Europa League teams. Suddenly, he will evolve to solve our number 6 problem?

As for optimism based on pre-season, none of our midfielders in pre-season have been as impressive as Bruno Cheyrou against Lazio. We all know how that ended up.

Gravenberch played as a #6 at Ajax, didn't he? Or at least as part of a double pivot?

Well his old coach is here now. Time to rewind the clock.

Tyler Morton and Endo are another two that we need to build up while Richard continues the gargantuan task of monitoring players.
Yes he did

We spent the entire season trying to offload Endo who was one of our best players from last season.

Anthony Gordon is dead.

We still have 2 South American jokers up front.

No contracts signed for our big 3.

Now Gravenberch is our new saviour.

This is the Liverpool way.

They got me all hyped before the summer.
Oh we got Edwards and Hughes, Hall and Oates...whatever their names were.

slow-walk-slow-mo-walk.gif

And here we are...

Stole this from Reddit:

Isn’t it funny how with Liverpool’s state of the art, cutting edge data-driven analytics team, the only names they’re capable of coming up with are the most obvious names in world football. If you go on a list of highly-rated DM’s, Zubimendi will probably be the highest one that isn’t already at a top club. Same with tchoumeni and caicedo before him.

It begs the question why we even have a fucking scouting or transfer department in the first place if the job can literally be simulated by a child googling names. What ever happened to buying completely out of left field players like Robertson?

I see we're still shite at transfers. Edwards and Hughes seem to be doing a Thiago tribute performance.

Where is this optimism about Gravenberch coming from? Last season, he did not seem worthy of a place unless it was against championship-level opposition or Europa League teams. Suddenly, he will evolve to solve our number 6 problem?

As for optimism based on pre-season, none of our midfielders in pre-season have been as impressive as Bruno Cheyrou against Lazio. We all know how that ended up.

Gravenberch struggled with intensity and work rate when off the ball. His level of engagement seemed like night and day depending on whether we were in possession or not.

In this new system, we'll likely dominate possession more, and he'll have greater support from teammates compared to his role as an eight under Klopp.

I don't think the optimism is misplaced; he’s a big talent.

Yep. Have to say I'm more pissed by the lack of progress on contracts then Zubimendi, TBH.

I've got loads of faith in Nyoni, Bajectic stepping up, I think Mac Allister will thrive, and have some hope for an improved year from Grav.

But if Hughes doesn't secure the futures of at least two of Trent, VVD and Salah then he's really going to feel the pressure.

This summer's a load of shite it has to be said

Yeah. I've no issue with Gravenberch as a number 6, incidentally. But I think the lack of quality additions to the squad will have an effect on the morale of the rest of the players. I feel like you always need to be bringing in 2-3 top players to both keep things fresh and demonstrate ambition.

Yeah. I've no issue with Gravenberch as a number 6, incidentally. But I think the lack of quality additions to the squad will have an effect on the morale of the rest of the players. I feel like you always need to be bringing in 2-3 top players to both keep things fresh and demonstrate ambition.
True, but they do have a brand new manager and coaching team, tactical set-up, training sessions, etc, which to date sounds genuinely well-received. If we start strong and remain free of injuries then morale should remain pretty high. I suspect the bigger disappointments will come from the likes of Salah and VVD, who only have limited time left to compete for major silverware, and Trent, who is assessing options. The majority of the rest are either too new, too young or have some kind of point to prove to use the lack of signings as a cause to impact their performances. Many of the squad will be relishing the increased minutes and opportunities, so it runs both ways.

Edwards and Hughes are all over the place. I said it before, but Klopp made them look good.

Before Klopp, Edwards was signing the likes of Aspas and Markovic

Hughes was announced as sporting director in March for god's sake. He's had 5 months to prepare, and hasn't delivered a single signing or a single contract renewal. Only club in top 5 leagues not to make a signing, and we're fed the bullshit that this window is too difficult because of the Euros and the Olympics

I can see Barcelona turning Diaz over the next 2 weeks, and us failing to even sign Gordon as Newcastle hold out for 80 million. Calling it first

We will be down to scraps in midfield (if we plan a double pivot) if we let Badger go and don't bring anyone in.

However, that isn't a reason to keep him. For his own development he needs to play. But that is why its critical for us to bolster the squad.

Numbers wise we're ok in midfield, quality in depth to get us through a long demanding season perhaps less so.

Gravenberch (Endo, Nyoni) / Mac (Jones, Morton) + Szobo (Harv)

Even then, I don't see a top tier DM that you need to win trophies.

We will be down to scraps in midfield (if we plan a double pivot) if we let Badger go and don't bring anyone in.

However, that isn't a reason to keep him. For his own development he needs to play. But that is why its critical for us to bolster the squad.
Abandoning the search for a no. 6 after bidding for Caicedo, Lavia and Zubimendi is madness. You admit you desperately need one, but are happy to shrug your shoulders and just get on with it when you can't sign one two years in a row

Absurd behaviour. Go out and sign someone - Ederson, Joao Gomes, Varela, Frendrup, Andre - there are options.

Abandoning the search for a no. 6 after bidding for Caicedo, Lavia and Zubimendi is madness. You admit you desperately need one, but are happy to shrug your shoulders and just get on with it when you can't sign one two years in a row

Absurd behaviour. Go out and sign someone - Ederson, Joao Gomes, Varela, Frendrup, Andre - there are options.
I could forgive it for one season. Same as when we went for Virgil, we rightly waited it out for someone who we felt was good enough. To do it for two seasons is unforgivable.

Maybe I’ll be proven foolish, but I believe in Gravenberch at #6 long-term. He “feels” like a better fit than someone like Zubimendi for us - naturally progressive and attack-minded player educated in Ajax style of football with DMs physicality and athleticism. Every time I see him play I can’t believe how just physically BIG he is - he’s towering over other midfielders and his agility is also superb. I’m willing to live with some growing pains and inconsistency over a season if it means we’re investing this time into developing a top-tier talent that Gravenberch clearly is.

If we don’t sign another #6, of course this means Endo must stay, which is also more than fine with me.

I've got major doubts about his attitude, but yeah if we need a technically strong DM (and we clearly do) then he has to be the one now. I also agree that in principle his attributes look a better fit alongside Mac than another slow midget like Zubimendi.

Hopefully he steps up.

Edwards and Hughes are all over the place. I said it before, but Klopp made them look good.

Before Klopp, Edwards was signing the likes of Aspas and Markovic

Hughes was announced as sporting director in March for god's sake. He's had 5 months to prepare, and hasn't delivered a single signing or a single contract renewal. Only club in top 5 leagues not to make a signing, and we're fed the bullshit that this window is too difficult because of the Euros and the Olympics

I can see Barcelona turning Diaz over the next 2 weeks, and us failing to even sign Gordon as Newcastle hold out for 80 million. Calling it first
It will be kudus o’clock if we sell Diaz.

I could forgive it for one season. Same as when we went for Virgil, we rightly waited it out for someone who we felt was good enough. To do it for two seasons is unforgivable.

Also - when we tried and failed to sign Tchouameni, why didn't we go for Caicedo then? When we failed to sign Caicedo and Lavia, why didn't we go for Zubimendi then? It's not like these players didn't exist at the time. That's presumably what our scouting team is for.

Back
Top Bottom