• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

A belief in themselves should get players to liverpool; then ability gets them on the pitch in red

And if rio by the age of 20 doesn't know when to shoot, then yeah, i'd probably suggest getting rid of him as well. Like we did suso, pacheco, yesil, morgan, polish messi, etc etc. All hyped to fuck, all binned off when it was clear they weren't good enough.

Whats your hope? Stop buying players until the last player officially isn't good enough? Should we give Doak until he's 24, as thats when wingers tend to reach their peak? He has to wait another year before getting consistent minutes as thats Salahs position, so thats another dead year of development. Or loan him out? Where he doesn't have our training regimen or our tactics to work through? Then we need to hope he can come back and play in our system.

Either you develop quick, or you miss out. Everyone isn't good enough to play for Liverpool, and it's the job of the people who see them day in day out to make that assessment. Decision making isn't something you can develop. You can improve it, sure; but more often that not the cream of the crop has that ability from a very young age. Look at bradley. A couple of loans and he's been fucking excellent on them. Decision making has never really been an issue for him.

Doak is 18 and has been injured for most of the last year.

Right, and is that balance not best served by giving a year or so's credit to any half-decent prospect ie sending them on loan, seeing how they get on, and then reappraising next summer?

How exactly does that hurt the primary goal of being competitive? The potential loss of £10m or so in fees?

I tell you, if £10m in fee income is that important to us, we ain't gonna be competitive EITHER way.

It's the cumulative effect, no? It all adds up.

We've done pretty well selling youngsters in recent years, haven't we? There hasn't been anyone we've looked back on and thought, crap, we should've given him another year or two.

You're talking like we're in the habit of continually flogging players off at the first opportunity - we don't - and we never promote any youngsters - we clearly do.

So ultimately what's the issue? That Morton and / or Clark specifically should be given a chance? Well let's start a separate discussion and understand why that player specifically should be given a shot and what his future looks like in the team. Who's position is he taking?

Doak is 18 and has been injured for most of the last year.
Ok. So what do you think we should do with him? Sporadic minutes with us or loaned out?

If we don't sell I don't care. As you say, he's still young; but if he's loaned out he really needs to show development

It's the cumulative effect, no? It all adds up.

We've done pretty well selling youngsters in recent years, haven't we? There hasn't been anyone we've looked back on and thought, crap, we should've given him another year or two.

You're talking like we're in the habit of continually flogging players off at the first opportunity - we don't - and we never promote any youngsters - we clearly do.

So ultimately what's the issue? That Morton and / or Clark specifically should be given a chance? Well let's start a separate discussion and understand why that player specifically should be given a shot and what his future looks like in the team. Who's position is he taking?

I don't think we should sell Doak and I think selling Clark is hasty although somewhat understandable - a borderline case, perhaps.

Morton I think is a good candidate for a sale.

[Joyce]Liverpool considering third Red Bull Salzburg bid for Bobby Clark (£10m)

I think someone else mentioned it, but we should demand at least a 25% sell on clause.
I'm not sure if we're gonna need it, but it could be good to have. I mean who thought Solanke would go for £60 mill.

[Joyce]Liverpool considering third Red Bull Salzburg bid for Bobby Clark (£10m)

I think someone else mentioned it, but we should demand at least a 25% sell on clause.
I'm not sure if we're gonna need it, but it could be good to have. I mean who thought Solanke would go for £60 mill.

No one is paying anywhere near that for a player in the Austrian league, their record sale I think is 20-25m

With Salzburg we should put in a first choice clause on their young players for the next 5 years, tell Leipzig to fuck off for a change.

I don't think we should sell Doak and I think selling Clark is hasty although somewhat understandable - a borderline case, perhaps.

Morton I think is a good candidate for a sale.

Broadly in agreement then after all that, ha!

Can't say I've been super impressed by Doak when he's played for the first team but that's all I've seen of him so any opinion I have is weakly held. Ditto Clark.

Broadly in agreement then after all that, ha!

Can't say I've been super impressed by Doak when he's played for the first team but that's all I've seen of him so any opinion I have is weakly held. Ditto Clark.

Probably the main disagreement, I'd guess, is simply on the overall policy we should have.

I think young players should be given plenty of chances, probably a year beyond the point where it's probable they won't make it.

That just seems to be the right balance between capturing the late developers and getting some cash in. Especially given that from what I can tell we've actually been able to recruit a lot of them on that kind of promise, so it's kind of a cost of doing business.

Like I say, Morton is 21 now and had a couple of good loans, and while a good player, isn't really close to our first team. OK, sell.

Clark was never one of the top tier of talents, but is still barely tested in the pro game and is one of those players who'll tend to develop later anyway. We should really be giving him another year imo, but I can see the other side.

Doak - unless there's something going on with his attitude, say - I really don't think should be sold. Showed lots of promise at first team level, prodigious talent at youth level, still 18, been hampered by injury (tbf not just a plus point, but still), many of the rough edges typical of precocious young attackers... I could go on. Would be pretty brutal to sell now imo, send a bad message etc.

I do think Doak is going due to either him pushing for a move or it is his attitude. It’s so out of sync with how we operate.

In general, our policy with youngsters ought to be like this - below 21, keep the faith, send them on loan, give them whatever opportunities you can to break into the first team. By the time they're about 21, you have a decent idea of whether they're generally good enough to be first team material.

If they're 21, and have spent 2-3 years struggling to really make an impact, probably best selling them. Selling Carvalho was understandable, and I think Morton is a good candidate too. He's had a good loan spell, but we're super deep in the midfield position at the moment, and I don't see an absolute standout player in him. You're better off taking the 15 million, than sending him on another loan.

With someone like Doak (or even Clark), I think it's too early. Another loan is probably the best way to go about it.

cha-ching:

FC_oe5v9j.png

With the likes of Clark or Morton, I would like to see us prioritize a buyback clause rather than a sell-on clause. For example, sell Clark for 10M with a buyback clause for 25M within 3-4 years. If he really develops, that will be a bargain, but Leipzig is still guaranteed a 150% profit, if we execute the clause. If he does not turn into the next big thing or we still do not have room for him in our midfield, we made 10M for a player that we do not need. Win-win.

With the likes of Clark or Morton, I would like to see us prioritize a buyback clause rather than a sell-on clause. For example, sell Clark for 10M with a buyback clause for 25M within 3-4 years. If he really develops, that will be a bargain, but Leipzig is still guaranteed a 150% profit, if we execute the clause. If he does not turn into the next big thing or we still do not have room for him in our midfield, we made 10M for a player that we do not need. Win-win.
Isn't that what we did with that striker, who was the next big thing, when we sold him to Sheffield after he missed a pen in the charity shield?

Really surprised at Clark. Unlike Doak, he looks like he's physically ready and his decision making is better. Also, the fact Pep is in for him, also presumably means Pep thinks he is undervalued.

Surprised at Doak too, as it seems like he is too young to give up on.

Really surprised at Clark. Unlike Doak, he looks like he's physically ready and his decision making is better. Also, the fact Pep is in for him, also presumably means Pep thinks he is undervalued.

Surprised at Doak too, as it seems like he is too young to give up on.
Alternatively it might just mean that he's good enough for the Austrian BL but not considered good enough for the PL and that £10m is the right figure bearing that in mind.

Alternatively it might just mean that he's good enough for the Austrian BL but not considered good enough for the PL and that £10m is the right figure bearing that in mind.

Except he looked good when he’s played - relative to age, etc

I genuinely think this season is his breakthrough year.

Maybe I’ll be proven foolish, but I believe in Gravenberch at #6 long-term. He “feels” like a better fit than someone like Zubimendi for us - naturally progressive and attack-minded player educated in Ajax style of football with DMs physicality and athleticism. Every time I see him play I can’t believe how just physically BIG he is - he’s towering over other midfielders and his agility is also superb. I’m willing to live with some growing pains and inconsistency over a season if it means we’re investing this time into developing a top-tier talent that Gravenberch clearly is.

If we don’t sign another #6, of course this means Endo must stay, which is also more than fine with me.

Maybe I’ll be proven foolish, but I believe in Gravenberch at #6 long-term. He “feels” like a better fit than someone like Zubimendi - naturally progressive and attack-minded player educated in Ajax style of football with DMs physicality and athleticism. Every time I see him play I can’t believe how just physically BIG he is - he’s towering over everyone else and his agility is superb. I’m willing to live with some growing pains and inconsistency if it means developing a top-tier talent that Gravenberch clearly is.

If we don’t sign another #6, of course this means Endo must stay, which is also more than fine with me.
CHOO CHOOOOOOOOO

Maybe I’ll be proven foolish, but I believe in Gravenberch at #6 long-term. He “feels” like a better fit than someone like Zubimendi - naturally progressive and attack-minded player educated in Ajax style of football with DMs physicality and athleticism. Every time I see him play I can’t believe how just physically BIG he is - he’s towering over everyone else and his agility is superb. I’m willing to live with some growing pains and inconsistency if it means developing a top-tier talent that Gravenberch clearly is.

Damn. The club must have been wrong then, working on getting zubi.

Damn. The club must have been wrong then, working on getting zubi.

Well, I can understand them wanting to support Slot with a ready-made option rather than taking a bit of a risk on developing a young-ish player, especially in such a key position for implementing his style of play. If you can upgrade on Endo with Zubimendi, it makes perfect sense. But no need to buy someone who is not significantly better than Endo.

Still interested to see what happens with Morton and Bajcetic.

View: https://x.com/Watch_LFC/status/1823056811420799093

No, he’s not a perfect #6 yet. Don’t expect him to perform like peak Fabinho. But for someone only playing his 2nd game ever at LFC in this position, he looks pretty natural. His skillset certainly seems to fit what Slot needs from that role.

What I worry about is the slog and grind of a long season, playing in different competitions, carrying knocks and playing through pain, being targeted by opposition - this is the stuff that will be new to him and he will need to learn the hard way.

Gravenberch played as a #6 at Ajax, didn't he? Or at least as part of a double pivot?

Well his old coach is here now. Time to rewind the clock.

Tyler Morton and Endo are another two that we need to build up while Richard continues the gargantuan task of monitoring players.

Back
Top Bottom