• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool related transfer speculation

Well something's got to give. Sell Endo, play Bajcetic and Morton. If it doesn't work out, play Macca there.

Or just keep Endo and if Badger and/or Morton prove they’re better, play them and if not they work hard until they are.

Meanwhile we keep Mac A away from being the deepest midfielder because, you know, he’s much better forward.

I’ve said this lot - we have the space in the squad to include them all - and then we can go about the business of competing on all fronts without the constant whining about not being able to.

Badger needs to be managed carefully or he’ll likely be the heir to Thiago.

Morton is promising, but relatively untested and inexperienced at this level.

Endo is great backup and perfect if we want to bring in someone new to integrate over a few months - is he going to crack it if he gets reduced games?

I've thought for years now that DM is the position where you have to have a top class player to win trophies.
The year we won the league, we had a peak Fabinho, whilst City were playing Fernandinho in central defence because they had an injury crisis (otherwise they would, at least, have run us close). Leicester had Kante when they won it, and when he went to Chelsea, they won the league. Since Rodri settled at City, they've been unstoppable. Arsenal are more of a force with Rice.
Now I like Endo, he's a very good player and a top pro. But he's not in the same class as the players I've named above. I would absolutely keep him to rotate and give some rest to a new, first choice, top-class DM. But if we want to challenge for trophies, and not just for top four, then we need a better player in that position.

Yes I totally agree with this. Arguably one of the most important roles to have a world class player in.

I've thought for years now that DM is the position where you have to have a top class player to win trophies.
The year we won the league, we had a peak Fabinho, whilst City were playing Fernandinho in central defence because they had an injury crisis (otherwise they would, at least, have run us close). Leicester had Kante when they won it, and when he went to Chelsea, they won the league. Since Rodri settled at City, they've been unstoppable. Arsenal are more of a force with Rice.
Now I like Endo, he's a very good player and a top pro. But he's not in the same class as the players I've named above. I would absolutely keep him to rotate and give some rest to a new, first choice, top-class DM. But if we want to challenge for trophies, and not just for top four, then we need a better player in that position.
Arsenal mostly played Rice further forward (like Xhaka the season before) with Jorginho/Partey as DM in the second half of last season. But they also didn't win shit so the point stands

If the DM area gets too crowded, there is also a good argument to find Morton a PL loan. I don't think he'd gain any more playing in the Championship, but a PL loan would certainly be useful.

Selling Endo would be a stupid move, like a really dumb fucking stupid move. It doesn’t even need an explanation why.

So we can only bring in a new DM if we flog Endo off for 10-12m, then what? We're left with a new DM, Bajcetic and Morton? Yeah good luck with that. Playing 50 games a season and you want to rely on 2 inexperieneced players for cover in 1 of the most important areas on the pitch, 1 of who's played about 60mins of football in 16 months?

Selling Endo would be a stupid move, like a really dumb fucking stupid move. It doesn’t even need an explanation why.

So we can only bring in a new DM if we flog Endo off for 10-12m, then what? We're left with a new DM, Bajcetic and Morton? Yeah good luck with that. Playing 50 games a season and you want to rely on 2 inexperieneced players for cover in 1 of the most important areas on the pitch, 1 of who's played about 60mins of football in 16 months?

I could understand the rationale if Slot thinks he will always play something akin to a 4231 (with the double pivot that nerds describe).

In that world, we might have all of Macca, Jones, Trent (if he moves inwards), Gravy, Baj and Morton - along with 'new DM' and in that case perhaps he would be surplus.

Or just keep Endo and if Badger and/or Morton prove they’re better, play them and if not they work hard until they are.

Meanwhile we keep Mac A away from being the deepest midfielder because, you know, he’s much better forward.

I’ve said this lot - we have the space in the squad to include them all - and then we can go about the business of competing on all fronts without the constant whining about not being able to.

Endo is great backup and perfect if we want to bring in someone new to integrate over a few months - is he going to crack it if he gets reduced games?
Morton turns 22 in a few months. Feels like it's sink or swim time for him.
So I'm all for testing him, but this is LFC not some midtable Championship team.

I could understand the rationale if Slot thinks he will always play something akin to a 4231 (with the double pivot that nerds describe).

In that world, we might have all of Macca, Jones, Trent (if he moves inwards), Gravy, Baj and Morton - along with 'new DM' and in that case perhaps he would be surplus.
Well so far we can only really go off of what he said in his first presser and 1 pre season game, and this is what he had to say in his presser a few weeks ago;

“I’m a bit…set might not be the right word, but I was hoping if people looked at my team they would not say it is 4-2-3-1 or it is 4-3-3 or whatever. I was hoping they would say there is a lot of freedom when they have the ball to take it in different positions. So sometimes it is a 4-2-3-1; sometimes it is a 4-1-4-1; sometimes we do build up with three. So there’s a lot of ‘freedom’ when we have the ball"

& even if you take a formation with a double pivot, it'd be absolute madness if 1 wasn't someone like Endo/Baj/another natural 6. A double pivot of Trent and Macca or Grav and Jones would see arseholes torn to levels never witnessed before.

Wharton took the step up from the Championship with ease. Morton has been one of the better midfielders there for two years now. I think he’ll adjust no problem. Its quite telling that so many clubs are after him this summer.

I think Morton and bajcetic could excel NEXT to a dedicated 6. Not as the dedicated 6.

But we have Macca, szob and gravy who can all play next to a 6.

I dunno. I still don't see a place for morton

Worth noting that we do not necessarily know how Slot sees his midfield. If he wants two holding then potentially he's going to need midfielders with a wider range of passing than Endo can provide. Whatever the case though, the club would be foolish to let go unless a) we have a very good, younger replacement and b) we are confident they can hit the ground running.

I'd rather be cautious with this one; a new six, Endo as rotation, and then we can manage Bajectics minutes makes the most sense to me. Baj needs to be an additional resource this season both for his future, and we also have to safeguard ourselves against another long-term injury. There are enough minutes to go around, especially with the implementation of five subs.

Slot talked about how he wants us to play quick passes and speed up the play with the ball. Passing in between the lines. A key attribute for the 6.

Is Joao Gomes good enough to play that 6 role in our set up?
Based on the fact the first i'd heard of him was someone here showing me highlights of him playing against us, i think i agree with you

Hard to tell until we see Slots approach but in my mind I’d put CB miles ahead of it.
Any reason its that far ahead? We've got VVD, Konate, Quansah, Gomez, VDB at the moment. I agree 2 of those hopefully wouldn't get the minutes, but it's not a bad selection, though should be improved upon.

Compared to the DM, where it's Endo, Bajcetic, Morton..... 1 has only played at championship level, 1 has just come back form a long injury and is very young, and 1 you can't build a midfield around.

DM is a glaring weakspot for me.

Rice was 100m.
Rodri 65m 5 years ago.

100m is not stupid money for the calibre of player you and others are talking about.

English tax for rice, as he's not worth 100m
Rodri at the time people thought they overpaid, but now seems a snip.

I'm fine paying top dollar for what could be an important part of the team

Rice was 100m.
Rodri 65m 5 years ago.

100m is not stupid money for the calibre of player you and others are talking about.
Rice is English and overrated. So of course it's going to be an inflated price.

Arsenal would ask for £100 mill if we tried to sign Smith-Rowe.

Back
Top Bottom