• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

It's a Harvey situation...

Modo

A contentious scando
This is mainly a hunch, but based on what Klopp said last season and how we played early in pre season, I think Harvey expected to get a more important squad role and be more involved this season.

Three games so far, stuck on the bench for two and 13 mins on the pitch in one.
In two of the games Slot didn't even use the 5th sub, even after being 3-0 up like today.

It's a tricky situation he's in imo.
Szobo and Harvey are basically in the same age bracket, so it's not like he can wait it out.
We just bought Chiesa and he'll most likely be preferred to Harvey in the impact sub category.
We haven't seen him come on and play in midfield either.

Will he be happy having a "Minamino" type role this season?

I doubt it, I think he wants to play and I also believe he wants to get an England call up.
Right now, it just feels like he's got a few difficult obstacles in his way.

I hope I'm wrong.

I dont think he will be around for long. Personally I think physically he is not right for this team, and his game time will be limited to Cup games and if Szob becomes injured. Its sad but I think Slot prefers bigger players in that role.

When everyone is fit, he’s a bench player. It was the same last season, that’s just how it goes. Like Jones, not good enough to push for a place in the XI and certainly not good enough to play for England. My stance on both players have never changed.

his time is coming. the rest, rotation, tactical switches, injuries haven’t really started, along with the trust in some players being underdeveloped.

i think i’ve probably declared myself to not be a fan of harvey a few times but he’s a determined little noodle head and always works his way into the fold.

Don't worry everybody, our squad will be tired and injury plagued soon enough, this is a feature of modern football.

You'll also get to watch us play tired!

Fair enough to a new coach playing his first three games in the Premier League.

Play your best best team unless absolutely necessary. I'm sure the rotation will come soon enough
Exactly this - you don’t rotate for the sake of rotation, there was absolutely no reason to change things up in these first 3 games when things went just about as well as they possibly could. Elliott will get plenty of minutes; the good thing about the Chiesa purchase is that most of those minutes will not be as a winger.

Couldn’t make another sub today unfortunately.

He’ll get loads of minutes once CL kicks in. Up to him to keep his place then.

The most striking point is that Slot repeatedly emphasises the importance of winning individual duels (he mentioned it again today), so it's clear that this is a key aspect of his playing style. The challenge for Elliott is that his weakest area lies in this aspect of the game, and given his physical stature, it's unlikely to improve significantly. For him to become a regular starter, Szoboszlai’s form, particularly his work on the ball, would need to decline. Elliott is still a young player at his boyhood club, so he's probably content to play a supporting role. However, there may come a time under Slot’s management when he desires to be a regular starter elsewhere. It's one of the things you can conclude from, even at this early stage, because Elliott isn't going to match Szobo's physicality and running power suddenly. He needs to be significantly outperforming him on the ball if he wants to be starting the bigger games and not a rotation option. It's not something to fret about. It's a mark of having decent depth options.

It's hard to really make any judgements as it's very much early days... but... on the evidence we have thus far, it seems like Slot is more inclined to give squad players minutes on the pitch.

Klopp preferred to have his "untouchables" see out games for the most part. I don't think, for example, Tsimi would've come on yesterday under Klopp nor would TAA be getting subbed for the last 15mins every game so that Bradley can get minutes.

Time will tell if it's an early days thing or part of a wider approach but interesting.

Elliot will get his minutes but as things stand, there is a fairly concrete first choice 11 and those not in it will have to be patient.

It’s horses for courses. We’ve played three sides that have tried to have a go and all failed.

Where Elliott could thrive is the packed defence sides. I think his better at those deft passes around many bodies.

He will get plenty of minutes this season on our way to the quad.

Exactly this - you don’t rotate for the sake of rotation, there was absolutely no reason to change things up in these first 3 games when things went just about as well as they possibly could. Elliott will get plenty of minutes; the good thing about the Chiesa purchase is that most of those minutes will not be as a winger.
I'm not talking about rotating, which this early in the season especially after such a great start would be a bit daft. I'm mainly talking about the subs.

For instance against Man U we had the following bench:

Kelleher, Gomez, Quansah, Bradley, Tsimikas, Endo, Elliott, Nunez and Gakpo.

Jones injured and Chiesa not match fit.

In your opinion, when everyone is fit, who gets in and who is left out?

I know...long season, injuries etc will affect us.
But its not looking great for Harvey.

It's hard to really make any judgements as it's very much early days... but... on the evidence we have thus far, it seems like Slot is more inclined to give squad players minutes on the pitch.

Klopp preferred to have his "untouchables" see out games for the most part. I don't think, for example, Tsimi would've come on yesterday under Klopp nor would TAA be getting subbed for the last 15mins every game so that Bradley can get minutes.

Time will tell if it's an early days thing or part of a wider approach but interesting.

Elliot will get his minutes but as things stand, there is a fairly concrete first choice 11 and those not in it will have to be patient.
No idea if Slot did this at his previous clubs but surely it not only has a positive effect on the squad as many of them will get minutes but over the course of a season it could be one of the reasons why his teams have fewer injuries than Klopp's (less sprints or tired tackles in the later part of games) and could easily reduce the playing time of star players by 400-600 mins (or very roughly 4-6 games).

I'd say that overall his situation has improved slightly. The role Szob is starting in is basically where Elliott would want to be playing, and that didn't really exist at all under Klopp.

So he's basically second choice to a player who is good but not undroppable.

So the former Fulham man, 21, will get plenty of chances and it's just up to him to take them.

Slobbers turns 24 next month, and Harvey turned 21 6 months ago - so they’re not really in the same “age group” - Harvey is still classified as a youth player.

He’ll get his chance and it’s up to him to show what he can do when he gets it.

As it should be.

Total faith that he’ll take his chance.

If anyone should be worried it’s CJ - he’s got a battle to just get on the bench at the minute.

I think Elliot looks such a perfect fit for the AM role Arne likes. He'll get a lot of game time, and a lot of responsibility. We don't know what Arne is trying to teach in training, but it looks like he trusts Szobo the most.

We all know Elliot is also a pressing beast, and I think he'll thrive once he is unleashed.

Is it possible Arne doesn’t value smaller players with his “duels” focus - no endo and no Elliot? Long season and we’ll be back with a lot of injuries soon enough.

and we’ll be back with a lot of injuries soon enough.
giphy.webp

The last of the injury crocks from the Klopp era just left. Gomez after last season starts fresh and Jones seems to be more niggles and knocks as opposed to constant muscle problems. Jota and Ibou playing 3 games in 3 weeks already leads me to believe we've lowered the risk with our training methods.

Slobbers turns 24 next month, and Harvey turned 21 6 months ago - so they’re not really in the same “age group” - Harvey is still classified as a youth player.

He’ll get his chance and it’s up to him to show what he can do when he gets it.

As it should be.

Total faith that he’ll take his chance.

If anyone should be worried it’s CJ - he’s got a battle to just get on the bench at the minute.
I feel like it's Elliott vs Jones for those CM spots.

But yeah, Jones should be more worried

I feel like it's Elliott vs Jones for those CM spots.

But yeah, Jones should be more worried

I’d say it’s more Jones for Mac’s role and Harvey for Slobbers role with Endo first to be replaced and someone to keep Gravy honest.

I’m interested to see how Slot manages things - not a lot of rotation so far, so is he going to keep the same team as long as form and fitness allow?

I’d say it’s more Jones for Mac’s role and Harvey for Slobbers role with Endo first to be replaced and someone to keep Gravy honest.

I’m interested to see how Slot manages things - not a lot of rotation so far, so is he going to keep the same team as long as form and fitness allow?
Impossible, we've got players coming back from South America two days before the Forest game. Luckily they have a bunch of players away in Africa and South America too.
We'll see, I'm not sure that Elliott will start, but he'll be back more match fit considering that he'll be playing for the England u21s.

Things will have to change at some point as covered, because of internationals, two game weeks, injury, etc. What I do think though is that Slot will be pretty ruthless if the so called fringe players don't perform. I think ideally he wants a settled XI as much as possible. If he's not picking the players they buy, you can imagine why he wants to mold a perfect team from what he has, even if that's largely impossible these days, he'll have his preferred core group and then some.

Not exactly the most enthusiastic endorsement I've ever read. We're going to need a large squad given the number of games we're facing this season, but these words from Slot suggest that Harvey (whom I like BTW) is quite far down the pecking order.
That's how I read it too

What should slot say? "Oh he'll play plenty don't worry?". Why? He should be using this time to motivate players publicly. I want a rocket fired behind Harvey, so when the opportunity presents itself he takes it with 2 hands. With klopp he'd praise the benchwarmers and then never use them, and that introduced complacency because everyone knew it. Here, I see it as slot saying "he needs to work hard and he'll be rewarded for it. Show me what you've got"

We've also had a weeks rest between all 3 games so far, and in the end there has been no need for rotation.
After the two first games I doubt anyone really thought that we would start with another 11 then the one against Brentford on Sunday.

We have 6 games in 3 weeks after the international break. The rest of the squad will get plenty of minutes.

Back
Top Bottom