• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

EURO 2024 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign Guler quickly before Turkey go on to win the Euros.

Well done to the Turks, happy their through.

Gives us a game that we've not seen in the last 8 whereas wouldn't have been so had Austria gone through.

Turkey-Netherlands will be interesting, a real test given the “home” support, but I think ultimately the Dutch will have too much quality for them.

England are getting to the final.

It won't be entertaining but they'll get by Switzerland somehow and then it'll be Turkey or Netherlands.

Power rankings after the 1/8 final (separately for winners and losers):

WINNERS

1. Spain - didn’t see their game, but by all accounts they continued playing the best football in the tournament
2. Switzerland - suffocated Italy without even giving them a sniff of a chance.
3. Netherlands - the scoreline flattered them somewhat, but finally a confident and united Dutch team have arrived.
4. Germany - prevailed in a close game, they look good, but a little fragile.
5. France - another Dechamps special 1:0 win. They have not “clicked” so far in attack, but if they do at the right moment, they will go all the way.
6. Portugal - struggled whether to put them in 6th or 7th, far from convincing against Slovenia, but the GK unexpectedly became one of the stars of the tournament.
7. Turkey - stellar defensive effort and several heroic performances helped them overcome Austria by the skin of their teeth, but as a team they are still the most dysfunctional of the winners, other than…
8. England - before the tournament I thought I could root for this team - how naive of me! Now I can’t wait till they fuck off home - I couldn’t be more tired of the constant drama, the snail-paced soul-killing football, of Southgate and his polo shirt, Trent looking like a sad ghost, Harry Kane, pundits, the whole thing. If THIS is the football they want to come home, I hope it never does.

LOSERS

1. Georgia
2. Denmark
3. Slovenia
4. Slovakia
5. Austria
6. Romania
7. Belgium
8. Italy

Power rankings after the 1/8 final (separately for winners and losers):

WINNERS

1. Spain - didn’t see their game, but by all accounts they continued playing the best football in the tournament
2. Switzerland - suffocated Italy without even giving them a sniff of a chance.
3. Netherlands - the scoreline flattered them somewhat, but finally a confident and united Dutch team have arrived.
4. Germany - prevailed in a close game, they look good, but a little fragile.
5. France - another Dechamps special 1:0 win. They have not “clicked” so far in attack, but if they do at the right moment, they will go all the way.
6. Portugal - struggled whether to put them in 6th or 7th, far from convincing against Slovenia, but the GK unexpectedly became one of the stars of the tournament.
7. Turkey - stellar defensive effort and several heroic performances helped them overcome Austria by the skin of their teeth, but as a team they are still the most dysfunctional of the winners, other than…
8. England - before the tournament I thought I could root for this team - how naive of me! Now I can’t wait till they fuck off home - I couldn’t be more tired of the constant drama, the snail-paced soul-killing football, of Southgate and his polo shirt, Trent looking like a sad ghost, Harry Kane, pundits, the whole thing. If THIS is the football they want to come home, I hope it never does.

LOSERS

1. Georgia
2. Denmark
3. Slovenia
4. Slovakia
5. Austria
6. Romania
7. Belgium
8. Italy

I'd have Turkiye above Portugal myself.

One Turkish guy I know thinks it's nonsense that foreigners call his country "Türkiye". His attitude: "When I speak Turkish that's what I'd call the place. When I'm speaking English it's 'Turkey'. The rest is cr@p. People don't pronounce it right anyway."

Spain v Georgia was great. Like a cup tie where the underdogs just think "Fuck it, let's go for it" and then they keep the tie in the balance for an hour or so. And then when Spain did eventually wrestle control, they did so via some really good goals. More of that please.
Quiffer!

One Turkish guy I know thinks it's nonsense that foreigners call his country "Türkiye". His attitude: "When I speak Turkish that's what I'd call the place. When I'm speaking English it's 'Turkey'. The rest is cr@p. People don't pronounce it right anyway."
Exactly. What is wrong with the world. Full of woke idiots finding fault where there is none.
You don't hear people calling China 'Zhong Guo' or writing it as 中国. Etc etc etc.

I think everyone needs to chill out about that save. Ali saves them all the time. It was above average, yeah, but stands out because everything else has been wank.
Yeah it wasn't far off centre. A very good reaction save but in the Banks class (or even Dudek) as I've seen people compare it to? Get outta here.

Spain, Netherlands and Portugal the most impressive so far. German's weaknesses exposed vs Denmark and they struggled to a draw vs Switzerland.
France could easily have lost to Belgium and they have zero goals from open play with MBappe well off.

As I said earlier this team could win the Euros but Southgate's ineptness will prevent that happening.

I can see us losing to the Netherlands in the semi final. We should get past Switzerland. Last time they beat us was 1981 and we've won the last 5 on the bounce. Nobody has the Swiss as favourites. 2-1.

My rankings based on likelihood to win it :

Spain
Portugal
France
Netherlands
England
Germany
Switzerland
Turkey

Spain, Netherlands and Portugal the most impressive so far. German's weaknesses exposed vs Denmark and they struggled to a draw vs Switzerland.
France could easily have lost to Belgium and they have zero goals from open play with MBappe well off.

As I said earlier this team could win the Euros but Southgate's ineptness will prevent that happening.

I can see us losing to the Netherlands in the semi final. We should get past Switzerland. Last time they beat us was 1981 and we've won the last 5 on the bounce. Nobody has the Swiss as favourites. 2-1.

Spain
Portugal
France
Netherlands
England
Germany
Switzerland
Turkey
Portugal? The team that scraped through Slovenia on pens, needed a last min goal to beat the Czechs and were comfortably beaten by the Georgians?

Netherlands? Turkey just beat the team that embarrassed them in the last group game.

The Swiss have looked far better than both and have only really played 1 poor half against the Scots, they will beat England handily.

Portugal? The team that scraped through Slovenia on pens, needed a last min goal to beat the Czechs and were comfortably beaten by the Georgians?

Netherlands? Turkey just beat the team that embarrassed them in the last group game.
You sound like the media, forgetting they rested 8 players vs Georgia and should have comfortably beaten Slovenia. Yes that team have played some lovely football.
The Netherlands have Turkey and then England or Switzerland to reach the final so yes again, that team.

You sound like the media, forgetting they rested 8 players vs Georgia and should have comfortably beaten Slovenia. Yes that team have played some lovely football.
The Netherlands have Turkey and then England or Switzerland to reach the final so yes again, that team.
& you sound like Roberto, making excuses. Portugal have been shite, all they do is dive, whine and complain.

The bigger sides aren't going to gift them the goals they've been given by The Turks and Czechs, they're not going to pass up on opportunities like the guild edge chance Sesko had.

Pointing out Germany's weakness against Denmark when they won yet ignoring bigger failures by the Dutch and Portuguese seems stupid/

No clue how Martinez continues to get the top jobs and how Ronaldo continues to do whatever the hell he wants on the pitch.

Reactions: jan

Spain
Portugal
France
Netherlands
England
Germany
Switzerland
Turkey
I think this Swiss team is different. Imo England are not favourites.
Their manager Yakin said this after the Italy game:

"I knew that if they play 4 at back, then we'll destroy them. we knew we'll flatten them. if they play 4 at back, then we'll let them run and that's what happened."

& you sound like Roberto, making excuses. Portugal have been shite, all they do is dive, whine and complain.

The bigger sides aren't going to gift them the goals they've been given by The Turks and Czechs, they're not going to pass up on opportunities like the guild edge chance Sesko had.

Pointing out Germany's weakness against Denmark when they won yet ignoring bigger failures by the Dutch and Portuguese seems stupid/
As does ignoring the obvious due to your prejudices.

Just taking a look at the depth and quality of the Portugal squad (regardless of diving and whining - as per every Portuguese side) should open your eyes - but with shite in them I guess that colours everything you look at and say.

Germany have been shite / lucky against any decent team - you say I ignore them winning, bet that's not your attitude to England is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom