• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Match Thread Chelsea (H) - Sunday October 20 4:30

He flatters to deceive imo, lots of touches, cute passes which make him look very tidy, but he mostly plays very safe, he needs to progress more imo.
I'd agree. He's technically excellent. Whether it's just a next level of confidence in his own ability he needs, I don't know. Because he's very talented

If Sanchez doesn't wipe out Jones, Jones carrys on with the ball, Jones 'won' the 50/50. I'd understand if the ball went the other direction, but it doesn't, surely it has to be a penalty? This is what I can't understand.

He got the ball first tho… by that logic every tackle is a foul.

Jones for me has been a mixed bag. I thinks he's been excellent, but I don't understand why he holds on to the ball as long as he does.
Jones is a fine athlete and technically competent, so he is never terrible, but for a CM, his performance is pretty mediocre

This is Gravenberch’s least noticeable performance of the season, and that’s because his midfield partner has not been near enough positionally to create a double pivot or progress the ball quickly

Jones for me has been a mixed bag. I thinks he's been excellent, but I don't understand why he holds on to the ball as long as he does.
Yeah he had a great chance to put Mo (Szobo?) through. However bar the penalty' (why did he wait?) he's been excellent. Szobo needs to come off for Mac in at 10.

Seriously though, Macca for szob for me.
Jones is a fine athlete and technically competent, so he is never terrible, but for a CM, his performance is pretty mediocre

This is Gravenberch’s least noticeable performance of the season, and that’s because his midfield partner has not been near enough positionally to create a double pivot or progress the ball quickly
This is why I think it's harsh to criticise Jones; he's not a double pivot midfielder. He's a 10, or left sided 8.

I don't think he's done anything dramatically wrong, bar being a little too conservative

Yeah he had a great chance to put Mo (Szobo?) through. However bar the penalty' (why did he wait?) he's been excellent. Szobo needs to come off for Mac in at 10.
Honestly I'd be tempted by Jones as the 10. He's clearly causing issues further up, and Macca is a lot more comfortable in the double pivot

Shame Jones couldn’t sort his feet out to shoot earlier.

Chelsea the better side but we lead.

Get Mac on ASAP.

Gravy has been nowhere for the first time this season.
Jones superb and Nunez excellent since coming on.

Salah with a goal and a couple of other delicious pieces of play but otherwise being kept quiet.

Seriously though, Macca for szob for me.

This is why I think it's harsh to criticise Jones; he's not a double pivot midfielder. He's a 10, or left sided 8.

I don't think he's done anything dramatically wrong, bar being a little too conservative

But the criticism of him is related to his play further up the field. Not releasing the ball quickly which is not a double pivot issue. It’s a a general midfield quality issue

I'd agree. He's technically excellent. Whether it's just a next level of confidence in his own ability he needs, I don't know. Because he's very talented

I agree with both of you, but that said, if we don't win this match, all I'll remember today is him dawdling on a simple pass / shot that even I or anybody reading this) would have made...

I don't get the non pen at all.

Getting the ball means kicking it away from the opponent, and i can accept it if after that he took out the player since the player had no chance to get the ball anymore.

But in this case, he barely got the ball, Jones partially intercepted it, putting it back to his running path but Sanchez totally took him out.

How is that not a pen?

He's really turned into a passenger, hasn't he..? WTF happened to the young lad who started off so well for us?
Well he nearly got us a 2nd penalty by making the right run and being in the right position. He has been passing back most of the time but thats because under Slot its about less risk and more ball retention to maintain control more than offensive actions.

Jones won the ball, and then he took them out.

Now there's two options here:

1. It's a pen. Jones won the ball back meaning it's a straight forward foul by the goalkeeper.

2. It's Not a pen. Not only because Sanchez touched it but because Sanchez has nowhere to go after the initial touch so even if Jones won the ball, Jones is also heading straight into Sanchez so what can he do. It's a collision.

I think it's no 2

Playing into the Kop second half should lift us.

Arguably the worst we’ve played this season so it’s a bonus we are winning.

Getting the ball first hasn’t been a thing for years. The ball went between the keepers legs, then he took out Jones and even lifted his arm to flip him over.

This has been the worst 45 I’ve seen from a ref.

He got the ball first tho… by that logic every tackle is a foul.
Usually you're not allowed to wipe someone out though, even when you get a slight touch on the ball first.

Kind of like Virgil getting sent off against Newcastle last year. He got the ball first and then kicked through Isak. Red card given.

Very suprised that pen was overturned. Usually it's one of those that could go either way, but once the decision is made, there's not enough to overturn it.

No doubt, Sanchez got the ball first, then Jones knocked it past him, and Sanchez was then clumsy and wiped him out (deliberately raising his arm to make sure he took down Curtis as he went over him).

Now there's two options here:

1. It's a pen. Jones won the ball back meaning it's a straight forward foul by the goalkeeper.

2. It's Not a pen. Not only because Sanchez touched it but because Sanchez has nowhere to go after the initial touch so even if Jones won the ball, Jones is also heading straight into Sanchez so what can he do. It's a collision.

I think it's no 2
To be fair I don't know the written rule for this, but I think you have to win the ball to justify the follow through, and Sanchez didn't win anything.

To be fair I don't know the written rule for this, but I think you have to win the ball to justify the follow through, and Sanchez didn't win anything.
Yeah the more I look at it...especially from the side angle....

Back
Top Bottom