• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can we find the Lavia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If both clubs have bids accepted I think he wants to join us. He and his family seems most sold on Klopp and Liverpool.

Our dealings for Alexis were great - we got it done early and got an incredible deal. Our dealings for Szobo were smooth. Everything else, be it attempted purchases or outgoings have been super messy. It is quite worrying and maybe we are just in a bad place in that department for a leader who can conduct business in a simple and discrete manner.

I also don't understand why it takes weeks to move an offer from 45 to 47 million. We have a budget, we have a limit and we should be able to get two sporting directors together and leave a room having agreed a number.

The issue so far for both bids, seems to be (intimating from Pearce's posts and actually it's been my thought for a while) is the structure of the bids.
Yes Southampton want £50m but it's probably more about how much is paid up front and how much in bonuses, how achievable they are and when they fall due.

We've offered £45m which could be e.g. £42m + £3m in bonuses. Chelsea's offer could be £40m + £8m in bonuses. Pearce states no one outside the clubs knows the details.

I wish we knew more but I wouldn't rule us out just because Chelsea's bid is supposedly 'higher'.

Our dealings for Alexis were great - we got it done early and got an incredible deal. Our dealings for Szobo were smooth. Everything else, be it attempted purchases or outgoings have been super messy. It is quite worrying and maybe we are just in a bad place in that department for a leader who can conduct business in a simple and discrete manner.

I also don't understand why it takes weeks to move an offer from 45 to 47 million. We have a budget, we have a limit and we should be able to get two sporting directors together and leave a room having agreed a number.
This also has never made sense to me - why does it take a week to come back with an improved bid slightly higher.

If you want him, the day it’s rejected, you bid a higher amount - surely these conversations have been had, what’s our limit etc.

Seems like an absolute disaster

This also has never made sense to me - why does it take a week to come back with an improved bid slightly higher.

If you want him, the day it’s rejected, you bid a higher amount - surely these conversations have been had, what’s our limit etc.

Structure, bonuses, due dates, payment milestones.

I understand in negotiations we might want the sellers to think we won't improve our offer. But in this instance we are watching a relegated club sell other players for 30m+ and they have seen us lose 5 CMs from our squad over the summer.

I also bet if you asked Klopp he would say that 3-4m extra in fee is worth it to give Lavia a full pre-season, which he could have had. Now if we get him he probably won't be really klopp-ready til after whenever the first international break will be.

If we sign him, he will start playing within a week or two. We don’t really have a choice. Surely a slightly less prepared Lavia is better than most of our current options.

So we are fucktards because we didn’t just offer the asking price up front, Chelsea have now offered a less than the asking price too a;nd they are professional and we are idiots?

Key thing here is is £50m a realistic offer for a 19 yo. I don’t think Chelsea are a great yardstick for value for money offers.

For me this is a ‘step aside’ moment

And what? We've shown everyone how much money is in our wallet, and it's obvious what we need. We needed it at the beginning of the summer, and then we sold two players who played a ton last season, and needed it more.

How do you think we are going to find actual quality in these circumstances, at any value whatsoever?

And how are we going to be finding quality at all? We've worked our way through the options. We're at Lavia now. He's apparently the best we can do.

We've spent two years looking at midfielders! We've missed two main targets. I see no evidence we've done anything but groundwork for a future CB purchase, as well.

There's a reason people are panicking, it's based on seeing what we've done when we've been stuck in a situation before. We've either asked the manager to conjure up some way of making it work, or we've wasted millions by drip and by drop being cheap, on completely inadequate loans and stopgaps.

The problem is that Southampton are deliberately drip feeding leaks on bids and their response to try and stoke up an auction. In the case of other transfers a lot of this would be behind closed doors. Their strategy probably also influences how Liverpool respond.

I may finally be coming round to understand JJ's contempt of how they acted during the Van Dijk saga

Our dealings for Szobo were smooth

By all accounts we tried the same lowballing tactics with Leipzig but luckily there was a fixed price with a deadline and that forced our hand otherwise who knows.

As for Southamption and Lavia, I don't know how anyone can blame them for any of this. They're under no obligation to sell the player or make it easy for the buyer.

Lolz.

Neither were smooth. Both players had release clauses. Both were activated.

Leipzig told us pretty much tick tock. Pay up or fuck off.

They are squeezing every last cent from our owners, as they should be.

The market is fucking nuts and the valuations of players are completely up in the air. We desperately need a player in the position, and while we patiently seem to accept the idea that we don't have money, no one else is that stupid.

By all accounts we tried the same lowballing tactics with Leipzig but luckily there was a fixed price with a deadline and that forced our hand otherwise who knows.

As for Southamption and Lavia, I don't know how anyone can blame them for any of this. They're under no obligation to sell the player or make it easy for the buyer.
I think our perception of the smoothness of transfer is reliant totally on the amount, or lack of, leaks to the media.
We really don't know how much negotiations and horse trading goes into each deal and I suspect nether do most if not all the journalists reporting on them.

Last edited:
I think our perception of the smoothness of transfer is reliant totally on the amount or lack of leaks to the media.
We really don't know how much negotiations and horse trading goes into each deal and I suspect nether do most if not all the journalists reporting on them.

That is a decent measure though. We aren't in control of this transfer, which is why it's being played out in public, because it is useful.

He’s going to sign. We’ve been “linked” with loads of DMs and they’ve been “linked” with all sorts of bids for Lavia. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is a deadline day one.

The press have linked Chelsea with Lavia. Have they suddenly dropped all interest in Caicedo, or….

That is a decent measure though. We aren't in control of this transfer, which is why it's being played out in public, because it is useful.
For sure.
Southampton are using the media to their advantage as they are quite entitled to do as we have done in the past.

Fuck it... play Bajetic until we can find a reasonably priced player... this has been dragging on tooooo long as it is... Soton can go fuck themselves and Chelsea can fucking roll in their own shit again...

Maybe today then?

Edit - nah it is too optimistic. I think is more fitting:

Superb cover btw.

Last edited:
Why would Lavia kick up a fuss? He’s entitled to sit there and think that if we reeeeally wanted him we’d pay up.

Why would Lavia kick up a fuss? He’s entitled to sit there and think that if we reeeeally wanted him we’d pay up.
Because as fans we are not subject to being objective. We only look through the lens of what's right for us

We might go in again in two weeks with a £48.5m

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom