• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Can we find the Lavia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was just a bit of fuss and you are losing your shit over this?
I’m not losing my shit over this, I don’t even want us to sign the guy, I am however starting to get a bit pissed off by how much of our already restricted time we’ve spent on the situation which I think is pretty fucking normal.

F28T5vJWYAAClzn

Except that isn’t true Carra is it?
Carra's right.

Every negotiation is based on leverage, and Southampton know we have none.

This is a rubbish market for DMs, and our alternative options are:
1. Andre - a totally unproven commodity in England, and more of a controller than a DM anyway
2. Gravenberch - again more of a controller or an #8 rather than a DM
3. Caicedo - priced out
4. Tchouameni - priced out or highly unrealistic
5. Doucoure - Palace have statedly quoted 70 million
6. Palhina - older player, and Fulham want an absurd amount

Southampton are well aware of this, and know that Lavia is our favourite target in this sparse market. They also know we highly value the fact that he's homegrown given that we have an impending HG problem. They also know we're desperate given that we've made 3 bids for him already.

What is the incentive for them to buckle on the price? Their stated price of 50 million isn't exactly prohibitive or miles away from what we've offered so far in any case.

From Southampton's perspective, what do they even lose in keeping Lavia? He's only 19 and his value won't really erode even if they kept for a year in the Championship. Worth noting City have a buy-back clause for 40 million, so they probably feel they can bank that down the line as a worst case anyway. They're also probably betting on someone like Chelsea or United coming in and taking him for the full 50 million in the last week of the transfer window.

I’m not losing my shit over this, I don’t even want us to sign the guy, I am however starting to get a bit pissed off by how much of our already restricted time we’ve spent on the situation which I think is pretty fucking normal.
Getting pissed off about things you have zero control over is not normal.

Having said all that, it's perfectly reasonable to walk away from a deal if you think it's not good value. But to do so stutteringly after making bid after bid and coming almost all the way up to the buyer's valuation looks like a particularly stupid way of doing business. If we value Lavia at 40 million period, then that's perfectly fine. Then walk the fuck away and move on to the next target. This is a priority position we're talking about.

Getting pissed off about things you have zero control over is not normal.

What if someone were to burst your car tires and smash your windows right before work? Would you be pissed off? They picked the lock to your garage and smashed up that BMW i8 reaaaal good. Pissed off a wee bit?

Carra's right.

1. Andre - a totally unproven commodity in England, and more of a controller than a DM anyway
3. Caicedo - priced out

Southampton are well aware of this, and know that Lavia is our favourite target in this sparse market. They also know we highly value the fact that he's homegrown given that we have an impending HG problem. They also know we're desperate given that we've made 3 bids for him already.

What is the incentive for them to buckle on the price? Their stated price of 50 million isn't exactly prohibitive or miles away from what we've offered so far in any case.

From Southampton's perspective, what do they even lose in keeping Lavia? He's only 19 and his value won't really erode even if they kept for a year in the Championship. Worth noting City have a buy-back clause for 40 million, so they probably feel they can bank that down the line as a worst case anyway. They're also probably betting on someone like Chelsea or United coming in and taking him for the full 50 million in the last week of the transfer window.
I’m on about the quickly and without fuss part. Van Dijk wasn’t without fuss. We were abysmal then.

What if someone were to burst your car tires and smash your windows right before work? Would you be pissed off? They picked the lock to your garage and smashed up that BMW i8 reaaaal good. Pissed off a wee bit?
Yes. For not putting it in my garage. And having a shit lock.

Yeah, NO FUCKING SHIT PAUL.

Think I might need to pay big Jorg a little visit.....time to take control.

All things where I have some control. The club not signing someone is not impacted by any of my actions. Just relax over it all.
No you're right, it's not impacted by any of your/our actions but it sure can have an impact on our tolerance levels.

Sorry if mine happens to be wearing a bit thin......

5 weeks since Szobo signed and we've done absolutely fuck all.

I’m on about the quickly and without fuss part. Van Dijk wasn’t without fuss. We were abysmal then.
van Dijk was identified as THE player to revolutionize our defence. We were willing to forego an entire transfer window, and wait for 6 months to repair the relationship with Southampton and then pay the full demanded price for him. That was our level of infatuation with the player.

This isn't a comparable situation. This is a young player who we like, but don't want to pay over the odds for. We're negotiating without any real leverage, and just hoping Southampton buckles. If Lavia was viewed as a definitively transformational talent, I think we'd have paid the 50 mil about 10 days ago.

The reality is our alternate options are under par, and Lavia is the best available option. Unlike in 2018, we're not really in a position to forego an entire transfer window and wait for better options (or our favoured target) to become available. So either we do a deal for Lavia for 50 million or we sign an underwhelming alternative or we go into this season without a DM.

Southampton are betting we'll pay the 50.

I think the main ire comes from us fucking about below what they want, wasting time, so that when we do get hit with the "60m ahktschully" we've not wasted 2 months of the window. If we'd bid 50m a month ago, we'd potentially either 1) have him, or 2) moved on

I’m not disagreeing with you on that. I’m disagreeing with Carra being all shrieky about doing things quietly. We fucked up VVD as a summer signing. Got caught tapping up and had to walk away with our tail between our legs.

Carra's right.

3. Caicedo - priced out

Hmm that seems to be making light of their situation.

Firstly I think it was Binomial that pointed out we don't actually have a HG problem worth worrying about at this stage?

Secondly everyone keeps saying City have a buy back at £40m. So what? Are they going to spend that on a player they don't need? Don't see it but I suppose it's a good line to feed.

Thirdly a season in the Championship may indeed devalue his fee. Especially if Southampton don't get promoted. And the buying teams may have already moved on, reducing competition for him.

At best Southampton are gambling. They are also in a tough situation.

Last edited:
I’m not disagreeing with you on that. I’m disagreeing with Carra being all shrieky about doing things quietly. We fucked up VVD as a summer signing. Got caught tapping up and had to walk away with our tail between our legs.

Yeah, it'd be nice if it was all behind closed doors as it usually it is, but clearly Southampton are eager to let the world know. Carras being a meff and targeting the wrong people to be annoyed with

van Dijk was identified as THE player to revolutionize our defence. We were willing to forego an entire transfer window, and wait for 6 months to repair the relationship with Southampton and then pay the full demanded price for him. That was our level of infatuation with the player.

This isn't a comparable situation. This is a young player who we like, but don't want to pay over the odds for. We're negotiating without any real leverage, and just hoping Southampton buckles. If Lavia was viewed as a definitively transformational talent, I think we'd have paid the 50 mil about 10 days ago.

The reality is our alternate options are under par, and Lavia is the best available option. Unlike in 2018, we're not really in a position to forego an entire transfer window and wait for better options (or our favoured target) to become available. So either we do a deal for Lavia for 50 million or we sign an underwhelming alternative or we go into this season without a DM.

Southampton are betting we'll pay the 50.

Just to add, that apology was way back in Jun 2017. Edwards was appointed in Nov 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom