• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer 2019 Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Van Dijk, Gini, Hendo, Trent, and Robertson returned from vacations yesterday; the first 4 took the lactate test (VVD dropped off first, then Trent, Gini and Hendo finished together), but Robbo has been "bitten by something not so good" according to Klopp – his right hand was bandaged as it got swollen from the bite. Must have been a spider or another insect. He will have to wait a couple of days for the swelling to subside before returning to training.

In bad news, Glatzel is "seriously injured" according to Klopp. Still waiting for results of the scan for a definitive answer on how long he will be out. Sepp's international clearance "unlikely" to arrive in time for the Bradford game; he will have to wait until the US tour to make his debut.

Last edited:
Van Dijk, Gini, Hendo, Trent, and Robertson returned from vacations yesterday; the first 4 took the lactate test (VVD dropped off first, then Trent, Gini and Hendo finished together), but Robbo has been "bitten by something not so good" according to Klopp – his right hand was bandaged as it got swollen from the bite. Must have been a spider or another insect. He will have to wait a couple of days for the swelling to subside before returning to training.

In bad news, Glatzel is "seriously injured" according to Klopp. Still waiting for results of the scan for a definitive answer on how long he will be out. Sepp's international clearance "unlikely" to arrive in time for the Bradford game; he will have to wait until the US tour to make his debut.

I hope Paul Glatzel is ok, I didn't see properly what happened but he seemed to get his studs stuck in the ground or something. Whatever happened he definitely stopped in an unnatural way. he's a great kid and I hope this doesn't hold back his development too much.

I hope Paul Glatzel is ok, I didn't see properly what happened but he seemed to get his studs stuck in the ground or something. Whatever happened he definitely stopped in an unnatural way. he's a great kid and I hope this doesn't hold back his development too much.

Amen to that. Been there, done it - I dislocated my left knee the same way when I was still playing. Had intensive physio afterwards and got back to playing in 2-3 months, but it was pretty darn painful at the time and the knee was never 100% again.

Just got given tix for the Napoli game in Edinburgh by the local brewery... which is nice, but it means I'm moving to Perth and becoming a St Johnstone fan for next season.

c3koey07pna31.jpg

The bigger wall is just taking Chamberlain out & putting Lovren in!

Perhaps the red arrows are for passing when under pressure/marked out of the easier passes?

Actually, I doubt it's that simple. I'm thinking it could depend on what 'phase' of the game they're in, as we seem to have a clear strategy in games of more attacking phases followed by more possession based phases. The red arrows seem to be more attacking, looking at the more forward players, so the red arrows could be the attacking phase, but the defenders & Mignolet's red arrows don't look like they'd be attacking passes, so it's a bit confusing.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/...s-board-and-what-it-tells-us-about-liverpool/

A rare insight into Jurgen Klopp’s tactics board – and what it tells us about Liverpool

Jack Lusby
16 July 2019

Shares

A rare glimpse of Jurgen Klopp‘s tactics board for Liverpool’s pre-season friendly at Bradford has provided an insight into the Reds manager’s approach.

Two goals from James Milner and another from Rhian Brewster in the first half at Valley Parade ensured a second win in a row so far this summer for Klopp’s side.

It was a game of two halves for the Reds as 10 changes were made at the break and, in the boss’ own words, “it was a bit boring” in the second 45 as “we never really could get the rhythm.”
Regardless, despite Eoin Doyle’s consolation from the penalty spot, it was a welcome runout for Liverpool as they continue their preparations for the new campaign.
Klopp’s tactics are a topic of regular discussion among supporters, but beyond interviews with him and his coaching staff including Pepijn Lijnders and Andreas Kornmayer, little in terms of their concrete planning is known.
But a screenshot from LFCTV’s latest ‘Inside Pre-Season’ video shows the manager’s tactics board in the dressing room in West Yorkshire:

LiverpoolPreSeasonTacticsBoard-e1563270196750-600x400.jpg

This consists of clear instructions for zonal marking at corners, as well as walls to defend direct free-kicks and set-pieces from out wide, and an eye-catching formation diagram.
The many arrows flowing from each player, in red and blue, denote movements expected from particular positions.
Both full-backs have the same duties, the centre-backs and midfielders are both tasked with interchanging when either required or possible, and the attacking three is seen as a fluid unit.
It explains how players are tasked with dropping in to fill gaps when others overlap; such as the arrow from James Milner‘s position in midfield to the left wing, with Ryan Kent then drilled to drop into the middle of the park.
Perhaps most interesting are the movements of Rhian Brewster up front, and the long, sweeping arrows from inside to out, instructing the striker to penetrate from the sides of the penalty area at times.
Furthermore, there are two different walls: a ‘wall’ and a ‘bigger wall’, with Dejan Lovren taking Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain‘s place for the latter.
Both have Kent designated as a ‘charger’, to close the ball down as quickly as legally possible.

James Nalton

@JDNalton

Jurgen Klopp's tactics from Dortmund to Liverpool

10:09 - 16 Jul 2019

393 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads information and privacy

Analysing this tactics board, This Is Anfield’s James Nalton highlighted the similarities, and in some cases differences, when compared to one from Klopp’s time at Borussia Dortmund.
Most telling is the way in which the role of the full-back has developed, as Nalton notes:

James Nalton

@JDNalton

Replying to @JDNalton

Shows clearly how full-backs have evolved into players who join in with the midfield rather than always overlapping. See also Guardiola full-backs.

10:14 - 16 Jul 2019
Twitter Ads information and privacy

16 people are talking about this

While at Bradford the first-half full-backs were Nathaniel Clyne and Yasser Larouci—who are noticeably more limited compared to Klopp’s first-choice right-back and left-back—the expectations are clear.
As Nalton writes, the arrows directing the full-backs inside provide another dimension, similar to Pep Guardiola’s setup at Man City.
This has been hugely effective with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson in recent seasons, but it underlines how difficult it will be for the likes of Larouci and Adam Lewis to adapt if they are promoted full-time.
It is unlikely to give opposition managers any clues as to how to break down Liverpool in the upcoming campaign, but it is certainly an intriguing view of Klopp’s approach.

pisses me off when this stuff leaks to the press....
If we've learned anything from the Leeds spygate debacle, it's that good coaches are well aware of the opponents tactics.
That board says alot but it doesn't reveal everything.

Long shot I’m sure, but does anyone here happen to be going to the game in Boston, aside from me?

Trying to see if anyone has any spares to the fan event the night before at the House of Blues? The free tickets were sold out before I even knew they were available.

pisses me off when this stuff leaks to the press....

The worst was when Rodgers used to go on about his tactics completely unprompted in press conferences. I imagine it was so he'd come across as some sort tactical genius. I'd just end up screaming for him to shut the fuck up.

The worst was when Rodgers used to go on about his tactics completely unprompted in press conferences. I imagine it was so he'd come across as some sort tactical genius. I'd just end up screaming for him to shut the fuck up.

He was very keen on that kind of self-propagated PR, to the point of parody

Hence 'Deluded Brendan'

I was especially enraged when he appointed O'Driscoll or whatever that prick was called, and made out like he was a lost coaching genius, cruelly discarded, and only Clever Brendan had the wisdom and foresight to recognise and reward him belatedly.

Adversity did not bring out the best in Rodgers.

Reactions: jan
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom