• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer 2019 Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
General pre season comment but we don't actually have any periods of rest before the start of the season and are on the road loads.

• 25th July - Sporting (NYC)
  • 28th July - Napoli (Murrayfield, Edinburgh)
  • 31st July - Lyon (in Switzerland according to Google?)
  • 4th Aug - City (Community Shield, Wembley)
  • 9th Aug - Norwich (PL, Home)
  • 14th Aug - Chelsea (Super Cup, Turkey)
  • 17th Aug - Southampton (PL, Away).

We don't actually have any back-to-back home games until November (excluding cup competitions that haven't been announced yet).

Like most people, I've never been that interested in pre-season - play well, get fit, introduce new players - etc.

But it is always nice to have some success and some encouraging displays, rather than getting beaten in every game: at some point we need to start winning because "pre-season" very quickly loses its prefix.

And I don't wish to be all doom and gloom, but I'm worried anyway; we needed to strengthen and bring in some new players and we haven't, and we're also going to be without our front three for a few games at least.

I think we are going to struggle

This pre season is a bit unusual because we're missing 5 attacking players due to injury and extended leave.
Doesn't change the fact that I think we need to strengthen with at least one player in attack.

And surely its crazy not to bring in that new attacker when they have a chance to gel with the team. I can't see us signing anyone who would add to the dept up top now so we need to hope that we find a system to get us through the start of the season.

Sadio Mane will return to Liverpool after the Community Shield fixture against Manchester City.

The forward has started an end-of-season break following Senegal’s run to the final of the Africa Cup of Nations, in which they were beaten 1-0 by Algeria.
Mane is set to rejoin the Reds on Monday August 5 ahead of the Premier League opener against Norwich City at Anfield, Jürgen Klopp has confirmed.
“He is in good shape,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.
“Obviously they had a celebration in Senegal and I’m happy about that because it showed that they respect the competition and saw the second place as a success, which is nice.
“He is now on holiday, not the longest one – he will be back on August 5, after the Manchester City game. That means he had two weeks. There is four or five days to prepare for Norwich, 10 days for Chelsea [in the UEFA Super Cup].”

It's typical that the one player we have no cover for, Sadio Mane, is the player who has gone and played the longest.

Firmino and Salah have also been playing this summer. We surely need another pacey foward to ease the burden this season. They'll burn out by Christmas.

Alisson, Salah and Firmino will play in both the community shield and against Lyon.
They’ll be okay.
Mane will miss a few games no doubt.
But he’s naturally fit and almost never injured, I think he’ll be ready to go quite quickly.

Dont see the reason to be worried, but would be nice with a few signings to shake up the squad a bit.

Ox, Gomez, Brewster and Keita will also be massive in terms of using the squad this season. Easy to forget that.

I think I've mentioned it before but, I think Ox is going to be very important at the start of the season. Wouldn't surprise me if we start with the following line up against Man C.

Alison

TAA
Matip
VD
Robbo

Fabs
Hendo
Wijnaldum

Ox
Firmino
Salah

Like most people, I've never been that interested in pre-season - play well, get fit, introduce new players - etc.

But it is always nice to have some success and some encouraging displays, rather than getting beaten in every game: at some point we need to start winning because "pre-season" very quickly loses its prefix.

And I don't wish to be all doom and gloom, but I'm worried anyway; we needed to strengthen and bring in some new players and we haven't, and we're also going to be without our front three for a few games at least.

I think we are going to struggle

Although... is there any reason the front 3 won’t be ready pretty quickly - they’ve been in training for competitive football up until their current short break.

I could understand if they were taking 6 weeks off - but they aren’t.

Clyne flew home on Sunday. He's done his ACL in during the Dortmund game. Out for 6 months according to the Echo.

Clyne flew home on Sunday. He's done his ACL in during the Dortmund game. Out for 6 months according to the Echo.

That’s a loan we won’t be making this year then. Full wages on the club

And can sign for any foreign club in 6 months time as he only has a year of his contract left

Is it just me or does Brewster sound like Big Shaq. You know the, "man's not hot" guy.

Klopp confirms that Shaq and Keita will be back in training next week.

Yeah, apparently one of our "new" signings, Ox, has a recurring calf problem.

Klopp said: ‘Two games in a row with 60 minutes. That is very important. He has been a bit unlucky with a calf problem. ‘It is not a tear but something he has from time to time when the intensity gets too high for him. ‘He had to get through the first 20 minutes when he was really involved and then he felt it. Then he was not part of the game anymore, which is not too cool for the others if there is someone on and off. ‘Apart from that he has made all the sessions, which is unbelievably important. That is very positive.’

Yeah, apparently one of our "new" signings, Ox, has a recurring calf problem.

Klopp said: ‘Two games in a row with 60 minutes. That is very important. He has been a bit unlucky with a calf problem. ‘It is not a tear but something he has from time to time when the intensity gets too high for him. ‘He had to get through the first 20 minutes when he was really involved and then he felt it. Then he was not part of the game anymore, which is not too cool for the others if there is someone on and off. ‘Apart from that he has made all the sessions, which is unbelievably important. That is very positive.’

I thought he wasn't injury-prone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom