• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Leicester (H) - Worthington Cup - Wed 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird comment. He’s played about 3 games there for us and done fine nevermind his whole career at PSV there. If you’d said in midfield ever again then that’d be understandable.

I never want to see gakpo in midfield, and i never want to see him play the false 9. Either an outright 9 or not at all

Weird comment. He’s played about 3 games there for us and done fine nevermind his whole career at PSV there. If you’d said in midfield ever again then that’d be understandable.

He's only ever looked very convincing in Firmino's old role, it's incompatible with Nunez playing though, unless we are really going hell for leather. It also worked last season, in a situation where we had less of the ball. His main function was to act as half a midfielder to make up for one of the few legs our midfield had lost in the wars. His most devastating sequences were in counterattacks, which are still a part of our play, but not something we need help with.

On the current form of the players involved though, and his experience playing there, why not on the left? Diaz isn't setting the world alight. "He's added goals to his game" is the one thing that you could say about Diaz, but Diaz is getting those goals tucking into a strikers position when we are pushing. I'd say Gakpo should fancy his chances to do that better.

I never want to see gakpo in midfield, and i never want to see him play the false 9. Either an outright 9 or not at all
In the 7-0 v Utd he was popping up everywhere…on the left, or bursting through the middle from a slightly deeper central position, he and Nunez rotated well….I wonder if after Mo is gone those 2 could be a bit like Suarez and Sturridge, because they took it in turns to drift wide/come deep/run in behind all the time and the fact both had the ability to mix it up that way is what made their partnership blossom.

He's only ever looked very convincing in Firmino's old role,

I get that, but that’s also easier to judge and pass an opinion on when he’s played 80% of his games there. We signed him based on the things he produced out wide on the left and it seems a decision was taken (perhaps too quickly) to transform him into “the Bobby role”. Now he’s out the first XI again and all you’ll hear on Gakpo is comparisons with Bobby and how he’ll never be as good/half as good as him etc.

I get that, but that’s also easier to judge and pass an opinion on when he’s played 80% of his games there. We signed him based on the things he produced out wide on the left and it seems a decision was taken (perhaps too quickly) to transform him into “the Bobby role”. Now he’s out the first XI again and all you’ll hear on Gakpo is comparisons with Bobby and how he’ll never be as good/half as good as him etc.
I believe he was bought for the 'Bobby role' but was played out left because ... Bobby was still here. Hence the switch this season. However yes he always played left drifting into centre for both PSV and the NL.

Gakpo has 72 goals in 165 games so far in his career from the left wing. No doubt he can play there for us as well.

I believe he was bought for the 'Bobby role' but was played out left because ... Bobby was still here. Hence the switch this season. However yes he always played left drifting into centre for both PSV and the NL.
But before Gakpo came along, we had Nunez....a Nunez firing on all fronts. So do you think based on how he played at Benfica, that he was bought to play as....? Back up to Diaz on the left? Not me, I think Nunez was bought to be our main man centrally.....there's no way we bought Gakpo to displace our £80m man after half a season who was one of our best players in that time.....that sounds like a pretty stupid idea.

But before Gakpo came along, we had Nunez....a Nunez firing on all fronts. So do you think based on how he played at Benfica, that he was bought to play as....? Back up to Diaz on the left? Not me, I think Nunez was bought to be our main man centrally.....there's no way we bought Gakpo to displace our £80m man after half a season who was one of our best players in that time.....that sounds like a pretty stupid idea.
Hang on ... how did you get to 3 from 1+1?

Hang on ... how did you get to 3 from 1+1?

What part are you referring to? Only brought up Diaz to ask the question of where you saw Nunez' future after we signed Gakpo as there's no way Gakpo was bought in 6 months later to replace him as our main man centrally which is basically what you said by and I quote "I believe he was bought for the 'Bobby role' "

Teehee. So we can agree…Gakpo was NOT signed to replace Nunez in our first XI…which kinda goes full circle to the original argument. Very good. We can also agree Nunez wasn’t signed to be a squad player? Ok, we’re progressing well. Lastly we also agree being part of a squad and being a squad player are 2 entirely separate things? That’ll be all your majesty.

What part are you referring to? Only brought up Diaz to ask the question of where you saw Nunez' future after we signed Gakpo as there's no way Gakpo was bought in 6 months later to replace him as our main man centrally which is basically what you said by and I quote "I believe he was bought for the 'Bobby role' "
See Tom's reply above.

Additionally why do we need to choose one over the other or not play both at one time? At a push Nunez can play Left / Centre and maybe Right too from what we've seen. Gakpo ditto. Jota ditto. Diaz ditto. All at a push. They will all wander across the pitch anyway. Just because Gakpo was brought in to play the 'Bobby role' doesn't mean he'll stay there or that Klopp's plans haven't changed / aren't mutable or that tactics vary. We don't put a player in a hole and hammer it in.

My line up:

---------------------------Kelleher

Trent-----------Konate----------Quansah--------Tsimikas

-----------------------------Endo
--------------Bajcetic---------------Gravenberch

Elliott------------------Gakpo----------------------Jota

Trent will hopefully be ready to play because he needs some minutes (subbed after 60 for Gomez). Doak on the bench, with Clark and some other senior players.

Watched the pre match conference.
Trent is fit but isn't ready for the tomorrows game.

So I guess, Bajcetic is playing RB again.
Question is, who moves into midfield?
Looks like it could be Elliott and Doak starts on the wing?

So I guess, Bajcetic is playing RB again.
Question is, who moves into midfield?
Looks like it could be Elliott and Doak starts on the wing?

It's the only option that makes sense really. Trent was never starting given after West Ham he still hadn't been in team training.

Kinda picks itself then doesn't it

Kelleher
Stefan Konate Qanon Tsimikas
Elliott Endo Gravenberch
Doak Gakpo Jota

My line up:

---------------------------Kelleher

Trent-----------Konate----------Quansah--------Tsimikas

-----------------------------Endo
--------------Bajcetic---------------Gravenberch

Elliott------------------Gakpo----------------------Jota

Trent will hopefully be ready to play because he needs some minutes (subbed after 60 for Gomez). Doak on the bench, with Clark and some other senior players.
Think that is near the line up I would start the game with, excpet I would put Gomez in for Trent. Maybe give Trent a 15-20 run out at the end...

Think that we would be better off saving for West Ham

Trent usually doesn't play well in his first game after being out – needs to get a feel for the ball to get his passing going. So would be good if he gets even a short a run out vs Leicester because we need him as sharp as possible for Spurs.

Think that is near the line up I would start the game with, excpet I would put Gomez in for Trent. Maybe give Trent a 15-20 run out at the end...

Think that we would be better off saving for West Ham

we’re playing West Ham?

It’s on BeIN Sports in Australia which was recently dropped by Foxtel - not paying $15 a month for another subscription, so I’m missing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom