• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - West Ham (H) - EFL Cup - Wed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably. Probably be Paqueta doing most of the running circles round them....can't imagine JWP or Soucek have that kind of finesse to their game. Do you know for sure that's the 3 Moyes will play?

We're short on options, Mac is out, Grav will probably be on the bench at best if he's still nursing some strains.

That leaves an out of sorts Szobo who's played like 20300302 minutes in the last 3 months, Endo Jones and Harvey.
They have Alvarez, who is a good player as well. Anyway I can't see why West Ham will rest players considering we are the only "big team" left in this competition. It's a realistic chance for them to win another cup.

I will definitely start Szobo to give him a chance to gain some confidence back. He has had plenty of rest in the past number of weeks but it didn't seem to have done him any good. So just let him play.

We can also have a good look at him without Trent and Graven on the pitch.

Not sure why people are suggesting the trio of Endo, Jones, and Harvey unless we do not intend to win. They were well and truly destroyed in our last european game. Paqueta, JWP and Soucek will run circles around them.

Be thankful the temporary glitch in the matrix spared you the walk of shame.

That was probably the best game I've ever seen Jones play - as Klopp said he hangs on to the ball for too long but the coaching seems to be working miracles. That was a superb performance and makes him a cert to start vs Arsenal on that form. Where's the Arsenal thread @Brizzle !!!

MotM
1. Jones
2. Nunez - he had an outstanding game all over the pitch and was very unlucky not to score.
3. Quansah - bar the error for Bowen's goal. He'll learn from that.
4. Gomez - very impressive all over the pitch (a real RB + LB performance) despite a few minor mistakes.

Jones, Nunez, Salah and Gakpo to start vs The Arse. Diaz on the bench.

So I know the opposition weren't at full strength, but we were back at it and put in a performance like I can't remember last time I saw one. We really needed that before the weekend...

This with gomez at RB, who was fab, and when trent came on he went straight into midfield. Is this our new template?

That was probably the best game I've ever seen Jones play - as Klopp said he hangs on to the ball for too long but the coaching seems to be working miracles. That was a superb performance and makes him a cert to start vs Arsenal on that form. Where's the Arsenal thread @Brizzle !!!

MotM
1. Jones
2. Nunez - he had an outstanding game all over the pitch and was very unlucky not to score.
4. Gomez - very impressive all over the pitch (a real RB + LB performance) despite a few minor mistakes.

I thought nunez was good (better with more space outwide) but not that good. And quansah was decent but made the error for their goal.

So I'd put virgil, elliot and endo ahead of them who were all excellent.

Despite our fantastic play, the touch of our front players still looks a bit ropey as well as tsimikas' so it was wonderful to see Bradley come on with a couple of lovely touches to show them how it's done...

I thought nunez was good (better with more space outwide) but not that good. And quansah was decent but made the error for their goal.

Despite our fantastic play, the touch of our front players still looks a bit ropey as well as tsimikas' so it was wonderful to see Bradley come on with a couple of lovely touches to show them how it's done...
Nunez was excellent. Led the press from the front almost every time. A lovely assist for Jones, unlucky hitting the post (great save to be fair, ditto the keeper saving his shot destined for the top corner), got back well to defend and generally didn't put a foot wrong. I thought he had an excellent game 8/10. He loses a point for his offsides - though TBF with VAR one or two may not have been.

Elliott was frustrating at times, passes going astray. VvD had little to do, Quansah was the one making the runs into midfield. Endo was good but didn't do anything really to displace those I rated 1-4 (IMO).

Jones had a great game but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The question is whether West Ham offered him too much space. West Ham were really poor on the night, they hardly put in a challenge.

Jones had a poor game against Citeh. If he starts against Arsenal, we will get to see which Curtis Jones is the real version.

MotM
1. Jones

So it looks like we kind of have to choose between playing Gomez or Jones - otherwise where do you put Trent? And a DM next to Trent is a must (technically you can play Jones as a DM, but that would be a waste of his best attributes). Gomez at RB gives us better balance and width; Jones at LCM had a nice understanding with Nunez at LW. How do you shoehorn Trent, Jones, a DM (Endo or Macca) and Gomez at RB into one team, provided that Szobo is undroppable (and Elliott is knocking on the door)? It’s mathematically impossible within a 4-3-3, but let’s see what happens if you ditch one of the attackers and play with a front 2:

———-Konate—-Van Dijk——
Gomez———————Tsimikas
——-——Endo—-Trent———-
——Szobo—————Jones—
——Salah———-Nunez———

Would be a surprising switch of system, but maybe against someone like Arteta you need a tactical surprise.

If Klopp decides to stay with 4-3-3, then my choice would be Gomez at RB, so that Trent can slot in CM next to Endo. Harsh on Jones, but maybe this will give him extra motivation when he does come on.

Last edited:
Jones had a great game but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The question is whether West Ham offered him too much space. West Ham were really poor on the night, they hardly put in a challenge.

Jones had a poor game against Citeh. If he starts against Arsenal, we will get to see which Curtis Jones is the real version.
true. However let's not forget that Arsenal are a high pressing team, probably the best in the PL at the moment, and that Jones is good at ball retention even if not at distribution. But players who can run past their midfield could be very important in this game (Szobo, Jones, Gravy, Gakpo).

So it looks like we kind of have to choose between playing Gomez or Jones - otherwise where do you put Trent? And a DM next to him is a must (technically you can play Jones as a DM, but that would not take advantage of his best attributes). Gomez at RB gives us better balance and width; Jones at LCM had a nice understanding with Nunez at LW and gave our midfield a better balance. How do you shoehorn Trent, Jones, a DM (Endo or Macca) and Gomez at RB into one team, provided that Szobo is undroppable? It’s impossible within a 4-3-3, but let’s see what happens if you play with a front 2:

———-Konate—-Van Dijk——
Gomez———————Tsimikas
——-——Endo—-Trent———-
——Szobo—————Jones—
——Salah———-Nunez———

Would be a surprising switch of system, but maybe against someone like Arteta you need a tactical surprise. If Klopp decides to stay with 4-3-3, then my choice would be Gomez at RB, so that Trent can in LCM next to Endo. Harsh on Jones, but maybe this will give him extra motivation when he does come on.
The other issue (hopefully temporarily) that this solves is that Gakpo was truly awful. Nunez hasn't played well through the middle. So i like your suggestion on that basis too.

The only other player that could play through the middle is Mo. Slobber to RW?

So actually could you have...

-----------endo------
------Trent. Jones-----
Slobbers. Salah. nunez

So it looks like we kind of have to choose between playing Gomez or Jones - otherwise where do you put Trent? And a DM next to Trent is a must (technically you can play Jones as a DM, but that would not take advantage of his best attributes). Gomez at RB gives us better balance and width; Jones at LCM had a nice understanding with Nunez at LW. How do you shoehorn Trent, Jones, a DM (Endo or Macca) and Gomez at RB into one team, provided that Szobo is undroppable? It’s mathematically impossible within a 4-3-3, but let’s see what happens if you play with a front 2:

———-Konate—-Van Dijk——
Gomez———————Tsimikas
——-——Endo—-Trent———-
——Szobo—————Jones—
——Salah———-Nunez———

Would be a surprising switch of system, but maybe against someone like Arteta you need a tactical surprise. If Klopp decides to stay with 4-3-3, then my choice would be Gomez at RB, so that Trent can start in LCM next to Endo. Harsh on Jones, but maybe this will give him extra motivation when he does come on.
Yes I was thinking 4-4-2 or more like 4-2-2-2 in possession. However Klopp is unlikely to play that from the start. So I reckon Gomez will miss out despite the better balance he brings. Surely Mac or Gravy can't come straight back in, bench perhaps.

———-Konate—-Van Dijk——
TAA ———————------------Tsimikas
——-——----Endo
Szobo —————--------Jones

Salah —---- Gakpo ——- Nunez

The other issue (hopefully temporarily) that this solves is that Gakpo was truly awful. Nunez hasn't played well through the middle. So i like your suggestion on that basis too.

The only other player that could play through the middle is Mo. Slobber to RW?

So actually could you have...

-----------endo------
------Trent. Jones-----
Slobbers. Salah. nunez

Don’t agree that Gakpo is awful, but I think either him or Nunez would probably benefit from playing with a strike partner (especially if that partner is Salah). Leading the line as a lone striker is a really, really difficult tactical assignment - there are few in world football who can pull it off at the top level, leading the line and scoring goals as a lone #9. Just like there are few midfielders who can play as a lone #6 at the top level.

Don’t agree that Gakpo is awful, but I think either him or Nunez would probably benefit from playing with a strike partner (especially if that partner is Salah). Leading the line as a lone striker is a really, really difficult tactical assignment - there are few in world football who can pull it off at the top level, leading the line and scoring goals as a lone #9. Just like there are few midfielders who can play as a lone #6 at the top level.
I did say was, not is, awful, although of course he scored a great goal and hopefully this brings him back to form.

And I wasn't suggesting salah play up top on his own, more as part of our normal shape, but with slobbers (or even Harvey) on the right.

The way we played without him on the right bodes well for when he's away...

Albeit West Ham had a collective defensive stinker, I liked the Nunez / Gakpo - left / centre switchover and would like to see that again over Christmas.

Good to see Curtis again proving my agenda of Liverpool playing better and winning games when he starts correct (and that's before even going into his individual performance). That was the best team performance for a while

And as bad as it looks, I don't think Quansah made a huge error for the goal, an in-form Bowen is just that good

I hope the downtime hasn't given @moron an aneurysm, cause Jones...wow.

This was my first thought when I saw the site went down. @moron exploded.

8a87rf.jpg

You’re all incorrigible dirty bastards. I’m sure it’s not like this with @moron at all. He is beaming with quiet motherly pride, like a mother hen whose adopted baby kitten just caught her first mouse. It’s pure platonic love.

You’re all incorrigible dirty bastards. I’m sure it’s not like this with @moron at all. He is beaming with quiet motherly pride, like a mother hen whose adopted baby kitten just caught her first mouse. It’s pure platonic love.
Or as Moron says, ‘incest is the best, if you can’t keep in your pants, keep it in the family!’

thank you for protecting my dignity in my forced absence from this 'wonderful' community of Liverpool supporters. Oh and @Dreambeliever - I have never said that so it must be one of your fellow Manc Supporting mates that loves to fuck his sister/brother.

Anyway, imagine my surprise after witnessing Jones great performance, and in my moment of happiness wanting to come on here and give it large to 99% of you, I find the site is down or maybe I was deliberately blocked ? - yes I was absolute rage and anger finding that 6CM was down - the colourful language going through my head would be even too much for this site. So I said to myself 'nah - I can wait', and then to find it down even yesterday and not being able to rave about Jones - then I started thinking 'Has 6CM gone the way of Thiago ?' - what if I never hear from the likes of @Modo, @binomial, @Woland, @rurikbird, @gkmacca , @LeTallecWiz , @darkstarexodus etc... etc (and even that great Manchester United fan @Dreambeliever, top reds like @Frogfish, @StevieM ) - what if ? - I felt sad and my anger had subsided.

But now that you are all back in my life and this site is made of stronger stuff than Thiago, let me be my absolute cunt self.

Did you all see GENERATIONAL JONES ? - yeah you saw him, and yet the doubters are going on about Arsenal not going to give him the space or time ? LOL LOL - the man don't need space, that's what sets him apart from the over-hyped midfielders you all go on about, you guys are so easily wanted to ditch our boy for the Gravy boy ? - what has Gravy really offered other than a few moments of those slick runs he does now and then - eventually losing the ball or getting exhausted. He's had one good game since he has arrived, and lately him starting along with Szobo has made us look shit and unbalanced, and also done a fine job of making Szobo look shit. See Curtis - he knows how to score if given the chance, the boy knows, you just need to trust him. Of course many of you won't because he is an over-confident Scouser and not an overconfident Hungarian or Brazilian, but I guess that's your problem. If he is not in the team against Arsenal then expect the same shit prior to the West Ham game.

Also, in case it has not been said, loved Endo's performance, and yes I do rate Jarrod Bowen very highly, honestly think if Salah left he is the only right winger that could come close to what Salah does for us in the PL, just a brilliant player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom