• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Luton (H) - Wed 19:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
A chunk of that performance and win to owed to the academy. Apart from the odd superstar coming through I do not recall a time when every player coming through looks a reasonable and safe option in a intense game. Bradley and Quansah are next level prospects and the rest all look very capable on the ball and willing to work hard and press when we need.

There was an understandable amount of anxiety when the lineup was announced, but again Klopp, his players, and the kids, find a way.

I just wish we could go back to starting games sharper, but I won't grumble too hard.

On reflection, the 90 mins looked great. But it needed Klopp at half time, we were all fuming at half time. Obvs the game is 90 mins but there were clear issues in the first half that might have been harder to rectify had we not been playing a team like Luton (due respect).

What a finish by Galenoooooooooo. Not a bad Lucho replacement they picked up in him.

Quick Grujic, be a hero and get the camera out!!

PORTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry wrong thread, sorry!

PORTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't want Arsenal going out at this stage (though lose today and they'll have to go with their strongest team and play hard to get through). Semis will do just fine.

On reflection, the 90 mins looked great. But it needed Klopp at half time, we were all fuming at half time. Obvs the game is 90 mins but there were clear issues in the first half that might have been harder to rectify had we not been playing a team like Luton (due respect).
Actually I thought we were just fine for most of the first 45. If Diaz could finish we'd have been 2 or 3 up before they scored a consolation. That was pretty much all that was missing despite 2-3 players being off.

I assume he didn’t run across the side lines like a twat this time or their players taking selfies at the end..,
I was quite disappointed Grujic didn't nick the photographers camera and start doing cartwheels whilst taking snaps of their huge CL trophy parade. Nevermind!

Whatever happens in the cup final now we’ve done everything we could resting players tonight.
Sensational result.
Small detail but it would have been shite for the players to go into the final third after Arsenal and City win their games Saturday.
Let’s now have the first post Henderson trophy shuffle please Virgil!

Actually I thought we were just fine for most of the first 45. If Diaz could finish we'd have been 2 or 3 up before they scored a consolation. That was pretty much all that was missing despite 2-3 players being off.
His goal was as good a finish as you’ll see though. Turned a man inside out and slotted it.

Why do commentators talk about them being Young and inexperienced, they have played in Europe for last 10yrs and spent 200m in summer, give over..,

If only he did that with the ooooh 3 chances he had in the first half?
Seems like Klopp thought he was outstanding. Singling him out for the highest praise.

More from Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: "Exceptional game. I liked lots of the first half, but I saw that the boys and crowd didn’t like it as much.

"We started okay and you have to get used to an opponent, then they score their goal but everything was good until the final third and then we were in a rush.

"I told the boys it was a top game and we have to be calmer in decisive moments, then there were fireworks and wonderful goals - fantastic night and it is just really good."

On standout players: "He [Luis Diaz] put it in the back of the net, Cody Gakpo what a game and Ryan Gravenberch too - they were all exceptional.

"Caoimhin Kelleher had to fight against eight to nine men just to get a hand on the ball from set-pieces.

"Then the kids came on and did an incredible job. It is cool how culture educated the next generation.

"But, in general the stadium and the team together changed the game - it was exceptional."

On the academy: "The boys are ready and I wouldn’t do that if they weren’t ready. I wouldn't bring Bobby [Clark] on if he wasn’t, it looked a bit like Luton were done so we trust them [young players] a lot just with what they do."

On injured players coming back for the final: "No. We don’t know nothing. We have to see, but I said it before the game as long as we have 11 players we will go for it.

"Will we be big favourites? Definitely not.

"Since we played them [Chelsea] they have improved a lot and it will be tricky, this was exceptional tonight."

Quansah was quietly superb tonight. So was Endo. Macca is a top, top player and Bradley is a superstar in the making.

We win 4-1, really should have been about 8, and their keeper and CB are genuine shouts for man of the match.

2nd goal had shades of Divok's winner about Barcelona about it (quick throw in, defense asleep, etc...). Harvey is a good supporting artist, but I'm not sure he'll every be able to command a true starring role in this side.

Glad the next game is a cup match... Hopefully we can get a couple of the big guns back in time for tougher opposition.

Couldn't really ask for more, considering the injury situation - And loved seeing some of you absolutely seething at Jurgen for picking the only team he could pick tonight.

If Harvey ever does get into the team, it has to be in midfield, but imo his best position is playing in an attacking midfield role, the role Carvalho currently has at Hull.

Last edited:
Ratingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggs time. Quite a tough ratings tbh because when when 1 is shit they're all shit, when 1 steps up the rest follows.

Kelleher 6.5 - Didn't cover himself in glory on the goal let's say, can't remember him needing to be called into action again tbh. Some of his kicking first half was brilliant. Should've had an assist.

Bradley 7.5 - I reckon he was instructed to maintain his defensive position a little more and not to fly forward at every opportunity as he seemed quite reserved to get on the overlap but on the flip side we got to see more of his overall footballing ability which was nice pulling off a few cheeky skills
Quansah 7 - Quietly went about his business but he's faced tougher opposition, doing his job as a squad player effectively.
Virgil 8 - Got the all important equaliser, close to getting a 2nd but again defensively hard to judge as the test wasn't really present.
Gomez 6.5 - Didn't agree with him starting, did ok in the end but we saw few signs of the old Joe tonight.....the late reactions on the goal, getting nutmugged and letting Ogbene sail past him too easily.

Endo 8 - Easily one of our better players on the pitch, he does a lot of the basics very well.....it's not particularly flashy, it's not gonna be noticed outside the Liverpool fan base, but it's needed. His importance to this team is undeniable.
Mac 7 - 1st half 6, 2nd half an 8. Invisible man first half, where was he? Must've been left in the dressing room. Started to get on the ball more 2nd half and you can't fault a man who provides 2 assists.
Grav 6 - Again did ok. You do want more from him but he got stuck in more than he has recently especially first half, 2nd half probably one of the poorer players.

Harvey 7 - Like Mac, a woeful 1st half....passing was either underhit or overhit, shooting was terrible and decision making was that of a 16 year old Harvey. A transformed 2nd half, much better passing, much better shooting (as we saw from his goal) and more purposefulness in his play.
Gakpo 7.5 - See Harvey.
Diaz 8 - Along with Endo and Virg easily our best 3 players tonight. Constant threat all game, first half he was virtually a 1 man band but he has that South American fight, grit, never say die attitude call it whatever to keep going and his class showed. Deserved goal, unlucky not to get at least 1 or 2 more.

Onto the subs......only really Robbo to rate as the kids got no time.

Robbo 7 - Can see the fitness getting sharper with every game since he's been back, get ready to start the final.

Great result. Seems starting slow is part of the whole squads DNA.

Huge confidence boost for every one of those players as we get closer to the end of the run in.

If Harvey ever does get into the team, it has to be in midfield, but imo his best position is playing in an attacking midfield role the role Carvalho currently has at Hull.

Carvalho who i forgot existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom